My parents Hyundai was stolen last night

According to the police, people would just walk into the neighborhood and lift all handles of all the car doors as they walked down the street until they found one unlocked. It was that easy and it happened time after time...
This happened in mid afternoon. I was washing the car, I went inside for a couple minutes I think to go to the bathroom. When I came out it was gone.

Unless they are carrying a can of canned air with them, the medieval anti-theft deterrents still work.

See this video:

The hyundai sonata may have been carjacked, but "The Club" steering wheel lock limited steering ability for the carjacker, doing what is advertised.

My grandpa had the club, and they cut the steering wheel and threw the club on the porch. He was so hurt, he thought he had the crooks beat lol

Any chance they simply left the keys in the car unlocked?
They have both remotes and they lock their cars. They live in city that turned for the worse the last 10 years. It use to to be a sleepy retirement city in Socal, then all the trash starting moving in from LA. The Sonata is usually parked up front but my Mom was going to a doctors appointment out of town so the Sonata was on the outside.

IMG_3691.jpeg

IMG_3692.jpeg

Gee, and I've been waiting for my letter so I can get my (so-called) security update. No repurcussions for car theft within the city limits of St. Louis as the Circuit Attorney's staff is down to two, the rest have quit in disgust. I do have a bright yellow steering wheel lock. Wonder if the freeze job allowing locks to be shattered will also stop the trunk monkey?

Other than my family, I've only seen one steering wheel lock on a HyunKia since KiaBoyz shenanigans started. Maybe I don't have to run faster than the bear, just my fellow hikers.

Does anyone have an idea why the promised HyunKia security enhancement is useless?

Last edited:
Around here, the criminals just steal the purse or mug you for your pocket contents, use your remote to find your car and drive off with it.

Even the steering wheel "club" won't stop them. They have the key on your key ring.

The solution seems to be a well hidden and tricky switch for the starter solenoid.

My parents 2015 Sonata with key ignition was stolen from their driveway last night. There wasn’t any broken glass on the ground when they went out there. My parents are in their late 70’s and I feel so bad for them. They had the so called Hyundai security update a month ago on the car, put those warning decals on every window, like that worked. My Dad is more upset his golf bag was in the trunk and will probably never see his clubs again. This car only had 43,000 miles on it.
Hyundai emphasizes that the car must be locked with the keyfob in order to arm the alarm. Any chance your parents just locked by pushing the door lock? That apparently doesn't work.

My Dad is the kind of guy that pushes the lock button on the remote so he hears the horn honk.

I was at Kohl's yesterday looking at some pants and noticed that there was a security cable threaded between the pants and the hangers making it impossible to remove the hangers/pants from the rack. I pinched the hanger to unlock the pants and took them to the fitting room try on. I felt like LPL. LOL

at the stores I go to the cable is threaded through the belt loops on pants. It goes through the arms of the shirts.

A lot of stuff is getting locked up. Other stuff is being stocked at low levels like meat and poultry.

No, they're not cheap, at all. If you sit and drive in one of these, you'll be disappointed by the Fisher Price grade plastics and the smell of Hyundai's past ghosts of cheap interiors.

View attachment 152425
My sister bought a new base model Rav 4 a couple of years ago absolutely no issues with the car but its got to have one of the cheapest interiors I have ever experienced on a car.

Around here, the criminals just steal the purse or mug you for your pocket contents, use your remote to find your car and drive off with it.

Even the steering wheel "club" won't stop them. They have the key on your key ring.

The solution seems to be a well hidden and tricky switch for the starter solenoid.
Maybe a hidden switch wired to the brake pedal safety cutoff.

My Dad is the kind of guy that pushes the lock button on the remote so he hears the horn honk.

I honestly do the same thing. With Crackhead Randy across the street I really got to watch my stuff! I also have another guy in the area that is similar, but I can't say his nick name in this forum. Needless to say I found the guy in the middle of the road one night not wearing a single piece of clothing trying to catch a ride. So much for quiet country living...

Maybe it's time to bring back "The Club" for some of these vehicles. But then the thief could use a battery powered saws-all.
They aren't likely to spend the time doing that and will pass on a vehicle with a Club installed.. Many police departments give them away free now to Kia and Hyundai owners because it cheaper than using officer manpower to dispatch an officer and do reports for all the thefts.

My Dad is more upset his golf bag was in the trunk and will probably never see his clubs again.
Some auto insurance policies cover up to $200 or more for personal items in the vehicle. Probably not enough to cover everything but better than nothing. it's one of those fine print things that even claims reps might not know about. You'll need receipts of course if approved.

Back