Mustang Coyote 5.0L V8 engine oil recommendations - Ford has spec’d 5W20, 5W50, and 5W30 for it before.

That's the thing, they don't. Many of the 5.0's consume oil and end up being replaced or torn down. Thin oil does not help this mechanical problem. And, the move to 5W-30 might be a way to avoid or reduce excess oil consumption complaints.

I'd use 5W-30 synthetic and change it every 5000. I'm a lead-foot, but I know that highway and track are vastly different, and even "spirited" street use is quite easy on that engine.
^^This. They also destroy the timing chain systems. Those engines are getting blown left and right. I'd use a minimum of 10W30 if I had a V8 Mustang. If 5W50 was more readily available and not so expensive (I've only seen it sold by the individual quart) that's whet I'd use.

Some of them do. I think it's been more of an issue starting in 2018 from what I've read on various Mustang and F150 sites.

I had a friend just trade in his 2018 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new because of oil usage issues that the dealers wouldn't do anything about. His used a quart about every 1,000 miles and they were telling him that it fell within the normal usage range.

My 2014 GT doesn't use any oil and I've used Motorcraft 5W-20 since it was new.
Was sayin cause have few friends w/ 5.0L (Gen3 or 4 now i believe) Coyote V8 in there F150s ..plus my Dads '21 F150 Lariat FX4 has 5.0L & he's never mentioned any issues whatsoever. He would. He's a retired engineer & meticulous bout maintenance. He only ever buys F150s since 80s cause they've never let him dwn or broken dwn etc. Hard to beat trucks. What truck your friend get?

Some of them do. I think it's been more of an issue starting in 2018 from what I've read on various Mustang and F150 sites.

I had a friend just trade in his 2018 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new because of oil usage issues that the dealers wouldn't do anything about. His used a quart about every 1,000 miles and they were telling him that it fell within the normal usage range.

My 2014 GT doesn't use any oil and I've used Motorcraft 5W-20 since it was new.
Motorcraft is a very good semi-synthetic an always rated well on here..can't beat price pt either. Some ppl drag out oil intervals that's when trouble starts. Regardless if the Penn Platinum or Ultra Platinum i always use can go 6800-7500mis. I do 5k or 6mos . Simple. Never issues on an vehicles.

Motorcraft is a very good semi-synthetic an always rated well on here..can't beat price pt either. Some ppl drag out oil intervals that's when trouble starts. Regardless if the Penn Platinum or Ultra Platinum i always use can go 6800-7500mis. I do 5k or 6mos . Simple. Never issues on an vehicles.
1qt within 1 thousand mis ISNT good & it's not uncommon w/many different brands. Subaru has had issues for yrs along w/a few others. None of Ford trucks thru last 15yrs I've owned ever burned any oil . I really like the Gen2 -3.5L TGDI turbo tho. Along w/Gen2- 2.3L TGDI in our '20 Ranger.

I’m not about to sit here and argue back and forth with two internet engineers on oil viscosities.
You do realize that this is not the run of the mill forum, right???

Some of these guys ARE engineers....and they post on here. Some are tribologists, you know, the guys that actually make the oil you buy. They probably forgot more than you and I know when it comes to oil.

Sit back, relax, take advice. You'll learn a thing or two. I did.

Some of these guys ARE engineers....and they post on here. Some are tribologists, you know, the guys that actually make the oil you buy. They probably forgot more than you and I know when it comes to oil.

I’ve been here like five years and I’ve never seen an actual tribologist or oil engineer post anything. It’s mainly the same ten old dudes arguing over the same stuff seven times a day.

Was sayin cause have few friends w/ 5.0L (Gen3 or 4 now i believe) Coyote V8 in there F150s ..plus my Dads '21 F150 Lariat FX4 has 5.0L & he's never mentioned any issues whatsoever. He would. He's a retired engineer & meticulous bout maintenance. He only ever buys F150s since 80s cause they've never let him dwn or broken dwn etc. Hard to beat trucks. What truck your friend get?
He traded it in on a new Nissan SUV. Not sure which model.

We have two other vehicles in our family that run the 5.0 and neither of them have oil burning issues. Both run 5W-20 Motorcraft blend. They are older models though. My fiancé has a 2017 F150 and her son has a 2014 F150. Her truck has 39,000 miles on it and her son's has around 240,000 on it. My Mustang has around 34,500 miles on it.

Wannabe moderator ..do you know what a tribologist is!??? I promise there's a few engineers lurking just not conceding 😉

Wannabe moderator ..do you know what a tribologist is!??? I promise there's a few engineers lurking just not conceding 😉
Moderator???? Me????

Lol.

Bud, you might want to ask a real mod who's got the most warnings in the shortest span. I'm willing to bet that I hold that record.

Moderator???? Me????

Lol.

Bud, you might want to ask a real mod who's got the most warnings in the shortest span. I'm willing to bet that I hold that record.
No threat needed. Or warnings! Never had any issues on this site in all the yrs combined on /off. Incredible information! Good ppl (mostly) & love the UOAs.. studied many of those.. thus leading me to use the motor oil ive been using for a decade+ . Wasn't even part of that particular conversation just "joke replied" at how ya commented to em. Some need be kept in line!👍

No threat needed. Or warnings! Never had any issues on this site in all the yrs combined on /off. Incredible information! Good ppl (mostly) & love the UOAs.. studied many of those.. thus leading me to use the motor oil ive been using for a decade+ . Wasn't even part of that particular conversation just "joke replied" at how ya commented to em. Some need be kept in line!👍
It the warnings were well deserved. I'm kind of a prick, so there's that. Lol.

It is a great site.

I am the OP on this thread. Right on time, after my first 1,000 mile change the infamous barbecue tick has started. Here are two videos of it.

I hear Ceratec does work, but a guy on Mustang6G did an experiment that it fell out of suspension after sitting for a week and even left a bunch of sludgy residue at the bottom of his experiment jar. So I'm a bit weary of running an additive. Gonna switch to 0W40 next oil change and see what happens. What comforts me is every 2018-2022 owner GT I've seen at car meets has the same sound. And the common denominator? Ours all started after the first oil change. So I bet Ford gives a special additive to it in the factory fill 5W30 to make it quiet. UOA from factory fill show high moly and boron so I am trying to find a full synthetic 0W40 or 5W40 that will be higher in those two ingredients.

I am the OP on this thread. Right on time, after my first 1,000 mile change the infamous barbecue tick has started. Here are two videos of it.

I hear Ceratec does work, but a guy on Mustang6G did an experiment that it fell out of suspension after sitting for a week and even left a bunch of sludgy residue at the bottom of his experiment jar. So I'm a bit weary of running an additive. Gonna switch to 0W40 next oil change and see what happens. What comforts me is every 2018-2022 owner GT I've seen at car meets has the same sound. And the common denominator? Ours all started after the first oil change. So I bet Ford gives a special additive to it in the factory fill 5W30 to make it quiet. UOA from factory fill show high moly and boron so I am trying to find a full synthetic 0W40 or 5W40 that will be higher in those two ingredients.

That sucks. Time to take it to Ford to get it documented for warranty purposes. You would think that after 11 years since this engine came onto the scene that they would have fixed this problem by now.

Not all Coyotes have the BBQ tick. I've followed it closely, and it seems to be a mechanical tick (possibly parts clearance related) caused by a change in the friction level between moving parts. That's why adding as little as 100 ml of Ceratec makes some ticking Coyotes stop ticking immediately.

Last edited:
That sucks. Time to take it to Ford to get it documented for warranty purposes. You would think that after 11 years since this engine came onto the scene that they would have fixed this problem by now.
Ford put out a SSM (special service bulletin) out a few years ago that said the BBQ tick is "normal" and no "fix" is required. That's what every dealership will say today.

Ford was replacing short blocks before the SSM, so apparently they got tired of replacing short blocks that sometimes didn't fix the ticking in all cases. If you get a Coyote that ticks or not is basically the luck of the draw.

Ford put out a SSM (special service bulletin) out a few years ago that said the BBQ tick is "normal" and no "fix" is required. That's what every dealership will say today.

Ford was replacing short blocks before the SSM, so apparently they got tired of replacing short blocks that sometimes didn't fix the ticking in all cases. If you get a Coyote that ticks or not is basically the luck of the draw.
I remember when Ford was replacing Short blocks for the issue. I guess I got lucky with mine since it doesn't have the tick. My fiancé's 2017 F150 with the 5.0 has occasionally has a tick after an oil change or even when it's cold but it's not consistent. Her son's 2014 F150 with this engine has never had a tick to my knowledge. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Sound familiar (video below)? One theory is that the rods "dance side-to-side" and bang into the end of the crank journal if the friction level in oil is at the right level. But if the friction level changes (like by adding Ceratec), the rods don't dance enough to make the ticking noise. It sure seems to be a mechanical noise that is dependent on the friction level between moving parts, otherwise a mere 100-150 ml of Ceratec in 8-10 quarts of oil wouldn't have an effect.

Back