Mustang Coyote 5.0L V8 engine oil recommendations - Ford has spec’d 5W20, 5W50, and 5W30 for it before.

I am picking up a brand new 2022 Mustang GT with the 5.0L V8. Currently 2021-2022 models calls for 5W30. The 2018-2020 were calling for 5W20, all mustang V8s in these model years are identical Gen 3 in terms of internals. The 2015-17 Gen 2 Coyote called for 5W20, and so did the Gen 1 from 2011-2014. However; performance pack models at that time called for 5W50 to be used, even though the guts are the same. So I have a large hunch that Ford designed this engine to wear best with a thicker oil and tried to get away with as thin as they could recommend to meet CAFE/EPA/ fuel economy benefits.

Roush and Whipple who make superchargers also recommend 5W50 for the boosted Coyotes.

My car will be staying stock minus some basic bolt on mods, but it will get driven hard occasionally.

I’m from the Nissan VQ35 world (hence my username) where 0W40 is praised over the factory 5W30 since VQs have a tendency to shear and burn oil.

Once I get some positive results from Blackstone after a few oil change analysis, should I move up to a 0W40 to provide equal cold start protection but have a bit thicker viscosity at full temp for when the car is driven hard?

In the mean time, I plan to run 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for a few cycles after I drain the factory fill at 1K miles.

I am picking up a brand new 2022 Mustang GT with the 5.0L V8. Currently 2021-2022 models calls for 5W30. The 2018-2020 were calling for 5W20, all mustang V8s in these model years are identical Gen 3 in terms of internals. The 2015-17 Gen 2 Coyote called for 5W20, and so did the Gen 1 from 2011-2014. However; performance pack models at that time called for 5W50 to be used, even though the guts are the same. So I have a large hunch that Ford designed this engine to wear best with a thicker oil and tried to get away with as thin as they could recommend to meet CAFE/EPA/ fuel economy benefits.

Roush and Whipple who make superchargers also recommend 5W50 for the boosted Coyotes.

My car will be staying stock minus some basic bolt on mods, but it will get driven hard occasionally.

I’m from the Nissan VQ35 world (hence my username) where 0W40 is praised over the factory 5W30 since VQs have a tendency to shear and burn oil.

Once I get some positive results from Blackstone after a few oil change analysis, should I move up to a 0W40 to provide equal cold start protection but have a bit thicker viscosity at full temp for when the car is driven hard?

In the mean time, I plan to run 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for a few cycles after I drain the factory fill at 1K miles.
I have a 21 5.0 as well. I’ve been running 5w30 in it since I bought it and I’m at 15,000 now. Engine still hasn’t blown up so I think you’re good. Unless you’re pushing it really hard and/or track racing it, I think the engine will run just fine on 5w30. But it’s whatever makes you sleep better at night. I’ve seen plenty of the Gen 1, 2, and even a few Gen 3 5.0 with over 100k miles on 5w20. Also plenty of 5.0 mustang guys running 0w40. Can’t go wrong with either.

Now if you throw a blower on top, usually they will spec a 5w50. But for stock applications, I think that is overkill and might be doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
Engine was designed to run on a 20 or 30 weight. If you’re just daily driving the car, why would you want a 50 weight in the sump? Now if it was seeing a lot of track time, high rpm’s, higher oil temps, I’d see more reason of course.

Engine was designed to run on a 20 or 30 weight. If you’re just daily driving the car, why would you want a 50 weight in the sump? Now if it was seeing a lot of track time, high rpm’s, higher oil temps, I’d see more reason of course.
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. I asked how not why? In what way might an engine suffer? How would a heavier oil harm an engine, and in particular, this engine?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. I asked how not why? In what way might an engine suffer? How would a heavier oil harm an engine, and in particular, this engine?
Tighter tolerances, less clearance for main journals and bearings. Higher operating temps. Idk, just don’t see the purpose of wanting to run a 50 weight in a stock daily driven 5.0. But to each his own. I’m sure the engine won’t blow up, but will definitely not be as efficient.

Tighter tolerances, less clearance for main journals and bearings. Higher operating temps. Idk, just don’t see the purpose of wanting to run a 50 weight in a stock daily driven 5.0. But to each his own. I’m sure the engine won’t blow up, but will definitely not be as efficient.
Thank you for your candor.

The engine was not designed to run on a 20 or 30 wtr.
The engine is not designed to run on a particular viscosity.
2721D516-A00C-4F3F-B2F1-0CE567215B91.jpg

What?

How does that affect oil?
The old “tolerances” thing. The use of that term shows that the person doesn’t know what they are talking about but only repeating something they have heard or read on the Internet.
I’m not about to sit here and argue back and forth with two internet engineers on oil viscosities. OP asked a question about a specific oil to run in his 5.0 for his application and I have recommendations based off what Ford recommends and other mustang users. Not many guys running 5w-50 in a stock daily driven car. You guys can go argue with Ford about it and debate with their engineers, maybe they’ll change it to 5w-50 for you guys. There’s plenty of articles posted by Ford on viscosities for this specific engine. Dudes got nothing better to do than start arguments on threads lol. I have better things to do. Enjoy your day gents.

I’m not about to sit here and argue back and forth with two internet engineers on oil viscosities. OP asked a question about a specific oil to run in his 5.0 for his application and I have recommendations based off what Ford recommends and other mustang users. Not many guys running 5w-50 in a stock daily driven car. You guys can go argue with Ford about it and debate with their engineers, maybe they’ll change it to 5w-50 for you guys. There’s plenty of articles posted by Ford on viscosities for this specific engine. Dudes got nothing better to do than start arguments on threads lol. I have better things to do. Enjoy your day gents.
As far as I can see no one is arguing with you. We’re just pointing out an inaccurate statement that you yourself posted. You’re the one who started the “argument” by posting something that is not correct and is not relevant to the discussion.

Back