Mustang Coyote 5.0L V8 engine oil recommendations - Ford has spec’d 5W20, 5W50, and 5W30 for it before.

I'm sure 99% of the 5.0 engines in service live a long life on 5w20 /5w30 oil
That's the thing, they don't. Many of the 5.0's consume oil and end up being replaced or torn down. Thin oil does not help this mechanical problem. And, the move to 5W-30 might be a way to avoid or reduce excess oil consumption complaints.

I'd use 5W-30 synthetic and change it every 5000. I'm a lead-foot, but I know that highway and track are vastly different, and even "spirited" street use is quite easy on that engine.

I am picking up a brand new 2022 Mustang GT with the 5.0L V8. Currently 2021-2022 models calls for 5W30. The 2018-2020 were calling for 5W20, all mustang V8s in these model years are identical Gen 3 in terms of internals. The 2015-17 Gen 2 Coyote called for 5W20, and so did the Gen 1 from 2011-2014. However; performance pack models at that time called for 5W50 to be used, even though the guts are the same. So I have a large hunch that Ford designed this engine to wear best with a thicker oil and tried to get away with as thin as they could recommend to meet CAFE/EPA/ fuel economy benefits.

Roush and Whipple who make superchargers also recommend 5W50 for the boosted Coyotes.

My car will be staying stock minus some basic bolt on mods, but it will get driven hard occasionally.

I’m from the Nissan VQ35 world (hence my username) where 0W40 is praised over the factory 5W30 since VQs have a tendency to shear and burn oil.

Once I get some positive results from Blackstone after a few oil change analysis, should I move up to a 0W40 to provide equal cold start protection but have a bit thicker viscosity at full temp for when the car is driven hard?

In the mean time, I plan to run 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for a few cycles after I drain the factory fill at 1K miles.
I would run 5w30 in all mos other than colder mos etc. Cannot go wrong w/Pennzoil Ultra Platinum! Use yr round w/confidence. Best of the shelf full synthetic avail in my opinion & many on this forum. Pennzoil Platinum is fine too but Ultra is awesome. My 04 Mustang SVT Cobra supercharged from factory likes it too. No more Royal Purple for it. Always Motorcraft filters.

I would run 5w30 in all mos other than colder mos etc. Cannot go wrong w/Pennzoil Ultra Platinum! Use yr round w/confidence. Best of the shelf full synthetic avail in my opinion & many on this forum. Pennzoil Platinum is fine too but Ultra is awesome. My 04 Mustang SVT Cobra supercharged from factory likes it too. No more Royal Purple for it. Always Motorcraft filters.

What is wrong with running 5W-30 in colder months?

That's the thing, they don't. Many of the 5.0's consume oil and end up being replaced or torn down. Thin oil does not help this mechanical problem. And, the move to 5W-30 might be a way to avoid or reduce excess oil consumption complaints.

I'd use 5W-30 synthetic and change it every 5000. I'm a lead-foot, but I know that highway and track are vastly different, and even "spirited" street use is quite easy on that engine.
Never heard of 5.0L Coyote consuming oil. Is it an old abused engine your referencing? Know a few guys w/ 5.0L in there F150s & Mustangs ..all no more than 10yrs old. No probs. My buds truck is 02-03 w/well over 200k mis. Never heard him complain ..he seems to love that truck . Planning order new F150 Tremor an keep Ole truck for business purposes. Heard of Subaru an some German vehicles consuming oil when new tho. I've had a few Ford trucks w/Gen1 & Gen2 TGDI Ecoboost engines that were excellent . Zero issues. Just good basic maintenance on em. Nothing else. When your #1 in trucks (or anything) it usually puts a target on your bk . Ridiculous but ppl can be petty. Can't be best selling truck *45 yrs straight* w/ out building an excellent product. That's my engineering logic.

Ford in the past has been a stickler on recommended oil viscosity adherence. I remember them not honoring warranty for main bearings when people used 10-w30 instead of 5-w30. This was the 4.6 engine.
I used 0-w20 in a 2018 and 2019 F-150 with the 5.0 engines. Put 55,000 on the 2018 in a year.
At the time the 0-w20 was more readily available than the specified 5-w20. At local Walmart the Motorcraft blend was same price as Full Synthetics. Did use the Motorcraft filters
Every manufacturer is a stickler for viscosity recommendation. There are valid reasons for it many times..sometimes not. TGDI engines or any brand I would adhere to OEM specs. Modern Oils are robust an changed in 5k mis your fine esp full synthetic varieties.

What is wrong with running 5W-30 in colder months?
Nothing. Esp w/full synthetic type oil. My '20 Ranger XLT FX4 Gen2 -2.3L TGDI calls for it & i run that yr round w/zero issues. 30k mis so far an it's silent at idle.. runs awesome.. as. It should.

I have a 21 5.0 as well. I’ve been running 5w30 in it since I bought it and I’m at 15,000 now. Engine still hasn’t blown up so I think you’re good. Unless you’re pushing it really hard and/or track racing it, I think the engine will run just fine on 5w30. But it’s whatever makes you sleep better at night. I’ve seen plenty of the Gen 1, 2, and even a few Gen 3 5.0 with over 100k miles on 5w20. Also plenty of 5.0 mustang guys running 0w40. Can’t go wrong with either.

Now if you throw a blower on top, usually they will spec a 5w50. But for stock applications, I think that is overkill and might be doing more harm than good.
Those 5.0L are excellent in my experience & many others. Adhere to 5k mi oil changes using good brand full synthetic w/OEM filters or synthetic like Purolator Boss /Mobil 1 an dont worry a bit.

Nothing. Esp w/full synthetic type oil. My '20 Ranger XLT FX4 Gen2 -2.3L TGDI calls for it & i run that yr round w/zero issues. 30k mis so far an it's silent at idle.. runs awesome.. as. It should.

Okay. Just questioning your remark earlier.

“I would run 5w30 in all mos other than colder mos etc.”

They do have engine coolant for battery cooling
Yes they do, otherwise the batteries would over heat when transferring lots of power into or out of them.

Yes they do, otherwise the batteries would over heat when transferring lots of power into or out of them.

This is the problem Boeing had the 787 Dreamliner. They didn't have battery cooling and had caught fire on a couple of flights. Later they talked to Tesla

I am picking up a brand new 2022 Mustang GT with the 5.0L V8. Currently 2021-2022 models calls for 5W30. The 2018-2020 were calling for 5W20, all mustang V8s in these model years are identical Gen 3 in terms of internals. The 2015-17 Gen 2 Coyote called for 5W20, and so did the Gen 1 from 2011-2014. However; performance pack models at that time called for 5W50 to be used, even though the guts are the same. So I have a large hunch that Ford designed this engine to wear best with a thicker oil and tried to get away with as thin as they could recommend to meet CAFE/EPA/ fuel economy benefits.

Roush and Whipple who make superchargers also recommend 5W50 for the boosted Coyotes.

My car will be staying stock minus some basic bolt on mods, but it will get driven hard occasionally.

I’m from the Nissan VQ35 world (hence my username) where 0W40 is praised over the factory 5W30 since VQs have a tendency to shear and burn oil.

Once I get some positive results from Blackstone after a few oil change analysis, should I move up to a 0W40 to provide equal cold start protection but have a bit thicker viscosity at full temp for when the car is driven hard?

In the mean time, I plan to run 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for a few cycles after I drain the factory fill at 1K miles.
Good choice PUP 5w-30. See how your car "likes" it. No need to go to a 40w. jmo

Okay. Just questioning your remark earlier.

“I would run 5w30 in all mos other than colder mos etc.”
Well try a 0w30 full syn in cooler mos if makes you feel better. Shouldn't hurt anything! Any full synthetic 5w30 flows quite fast even in 0 degree temps. Always go very easy till your vehicle is warmed up. Takes good 20min + in colder weather.

Never heard of 5.0L Coyote consuming oil. Is it an old abused engine your referencing? Know a few guys w/ 5.0L in there F150s & Mustangs ..all no more than 10yrs old. No probs. My buds truck is 02-03 w/well over 200k mis. Never heard him complain ..he seems to love that truck . Planning order new F150 Tremor an keep Ole truck for business purposes. Heard of Subaru an some German vehicles consuming oil when new tho. I've had a few Ford trucks w/Gen1 & Gen2 TGDI Ecoboost engines that were excellent . Zero issues. Just good basic maintenance on em. Nothing else. When your #1 in trucks (or anything) it usually puts a target on your bk . Ridiculous but ppl can be petty. Can't be best selling truck *45 yrs straight* w/ out building an excellent product. That's my engineering logic.
Some of them do. I think it's been more of an issue starting in 2018 from what I've read on various Mustang and F150 sites.

I had a friend just trade in his 2018 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new because of oil usage issues that the dealers wouldn't do anything about. His used a quart about every 1,000 miles and they were telling him that it fell within the normal usage range.

My 2014 GT doesn't use any oil and I've used Motorcraft 5W-20 since it was new.

Back