Most reliable 10 year-old car that isn’t a Toyota or Honda?

If you wanted to buy the most reliable used car from 2010-2013 that isn’t Toyota or Honda, what would you buy?

By “car” I mean sedan, hatchback or crossover. I explicitly don’t mean pickup truck, van, or large SUV. Let’s also exclude the Pontiac Vibe because we all know it’s really a Toyota.

Mazda2, Suzuki SX4 or the Kizashi.

Mazda is good but prone to rust. So if you live where that's not a problem, or if you're vigilant about rustproofing it, then you should be OK.

Suzuki is also a good choice and often overlooked and underrated. The SX4 and Kizashi are quality vehicles.

Mitsubishis actually aren't bad cars. The non-Evo Lancer is a decent and simple car.

Cheap, simple cars would be the best if for some reason you're avoiding Honda and Toyota. Nissan Versa, Mazda2, Mitsubishi Mirage, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, and Chevy Spark.

Nissans also got cheap and simple by that era, but they have a certain image of bad owners :sneaky:

Mazda2, Suzuki SX4 or the Kizashi.

Mazda is good but prone to rust. So if you live where that's not a problem, or if you're vigilant about rustproofing it, then you should be OK.

Suzuki is also a good choice and often overlooked and underrated. The SX4 and Kizashi are quality vehicles.

Mitsubishis actually aren't bad cars. The non-Evo Lancer is a decent and simple car.

Cheap, simple cars would be the best if for some reason you're avoiding Honda and Toyota. Nissan Versa, Mazda2, Mitsubishi Mirage, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, and Chevy Spark.

Nissans also got cheap and simple by that era, but they have a certain image of bad owners :sneaky:
I’m not really avoiding Toyota or Honda, I just expected them to be everyone’s first choice. Plus their reputations for reliability has significantly bumped up their prices compared to similar vehicles.

Wouldn’t parts availability be a worry with Suzuki?

My uneducated guess is Mazda or Nissan. But by this time proper care is key.
I do have 2 1960's cars, and they run pretty good; a 1968 Chevy and 1965 Oldsey, which is my favorite.

The Yellow cab Ford Escapes of NYC. I've rode one and ask the cab driver how many miles he had on it, my Gosh it's close to 400K miles and I saw the odo reading.

I’m not really avoiding Toyota or Honda, I just expected them to be everyone’s first choice. Plus their reputations for reliability has significantly bumped up their prices compared to similar vehicles.

That's what I was thinking. The Kizashi was a poor selling car and if you take a quick look on World OEM Parts.com, lots of things are discontinued, poor sales volume meaning dismal aftermarket support for odd parts and if a salvage yard has what you need, it might be far away and a gamble you get it delivered working and unmolested in shipping-----unless using UPS of course.

I’m not afraid of Hyundais so I’m gonna have to go with a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. No, these ones don’t have the grenading engines. I’ve got a 2007 Sonata I bought a year and 10k miles ago, old lady owned. So far it’s needed both rear window regulators from the plastic breaking and the window not staying up, so 16 years sitting in Phoenix heat, not too shabby if you ask me.

IMG_9382.jpeg

maybe, but the common parts you'd need to replace should still be reasonably available in the aftermarket

Back