Most reliable 10 year-old car that isn’t a Toyota or Honda?

That’s a Versa, not a Sentra.
Test drove a 2021.base Versa. Absolute junk - and I am quite lenient for base econoboxes.

In my limited experience, not good quality coming out of Augascalientes, E.U.M.
Joint looks good from the chopper though:

aguasCalientes.jpg

THESE FORDS WERE FUN -

80 ford fiesta.jpg

Last edited:
Test drove a 2021.base Versa. Absolute junk - and I am quite lenient for base econoboxes.

In my limited experience, not good quality coming out of Augascalientes, E.U.M.
Joint looks good from the chopper though:

View attachment 181139

THESE FORDS WERE FUN -

View attachment 181138
They are made to be as cheap as possible. Driving dynamics are not really important to Versa shoppers.

Ford with the 2.5L I-4 engine. No turbo or di , like previous bittogers said, just to make crystal clear , I’m talking about engine, the other ford ‘ s glitches electrical or something like this I cannot say. Ford has more direct contact with the road and is nice car , stable at the corners( focus fusion called in Europe mondeo). Toyota Corolla or Camry are miles away when talking of pleasure of driving regarding ford.

I’m in Alaska at the moment but when I get back I have my eye on a 2012 Mazda5 and a 2012 Ford Fusion. Both are listed at $4k and have around 143k and 134k miles respectively. Based purely on photos the Mazda looks slightly better. The Ford has some issues with clear coat peeling.

If past history is any indication I’m sure both will turn out to be complete garbage.

Lets see that is not a Honda or a Toyota.....I guess I would take the bus.... :D

Yes because anyone not driving a Honda or Toyota never makes it to work and is always sitting on the side of the road :rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy anything newer than 2010. Too many "funny" things going on under the hood. But, then again, one poster said I live under a rock. :unsure:

They are made to be as cheap as possible. Driving dynamics are not really important to Versa shoppers.
Funny, certain car manufacturers used to be able to build a nice driving econobox. Like Fiat 128 or even the Renault Alliance, the Ford Fiesta and the Suzuki (gen I Geo Metro) even the Subaru Justy!
Recently Kia Forte in the mid 2010's. Honda Civics in the 80's, VW Dasher remember them?

Bad lead engineers. No passion. Pimple-faced CAD crunchers with no test driver feedback and checks; crippled by short design cycles. Bean counted to garbage.

A truly sad state of affairs.

I’m not afraid of Hyundais so I’m gonna have to go with a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. No, these ones don’t have the grenading engines. I’ve got a 2007 Sonata I bought a year and 10k miles ago, old lady owned. So far it’s needed both rear window regulators from the plastic breaking and the window not staying up, so 16 years sitting in Phoenix heat, not too shabby if you ask me.

View attachment 180969
I agree 100% (with this generation Sonata). Which engine? Bought my '10 sonata 2.4 new, switched to Mobile 1 Purolator filter @ ~ 60 k, 6 k oil change interval, don't beat the car at all, currently at 367 k, runs really good. Never touched the trans fluid, certainly not going to now. Replaced radiator, thermostat housing, rear bearings.

Ford Fusion or Mazda 6 with the 2.5L. Even better if it has a manual transmission. My 2011 Mazda 6 has 193k miles and still going strong. Best car I’ve ever owned.

Ford Fusion or Mazda 6 with the 2.5L. Even better if it has a manual transmission. My 2011 Mazda 6 has 193k miles and still going strong. Best car I’ve ever owned.
We had an 09 Mazda 6 in our family that was fantastic. Badly neglected by my son and still rock solid reliability until 240k at which point it was wrecked by my DIL. 😲

Back