Most reliable old man car: Grand Marquis or Buick Lucerne?

You should know there are no 5.3 4x4. Even if there was, don't play the options. You're comparing base model engine Escalade to best Navigator can offer.

At least compare apples/apples. Benefits of a superior architecture
🤦
I'm comparing engines of like displacement, literally the definition of apples to apples.

The 7.7 second 0-60 of the Navigator is considerably better than the 9.5 second 0-60 of the 5.3 equipped Escalade, despite you claiming the contrary.
Where did I say the 5.4L performed better than the 6.0L? Jesus Christ guy, reading comprehension again, I clearly compared it to the 5.3L because you claimed it was underpowered, while it was clearly more powerful than the 5.3L GM offering.

Last edited:
****., you got me. Mod motor architecture appeared to reign supreme for 1-2 years while a lesser LS displacement option was available.

Later, a standard 6L variant, based on the same architecture would be more powerful and efficient despite its larger displacement, and the mod motor would forever be in its shadows.

And in the end, Navigator would always lag in sales, no matter what the competitions engines. So, at the same time, Ford was struggling with Mod motor powered cars, continually decontenting 2v cars and struggling with 3v reputation, and getting outclassed with the 4v during the same period

:p

Meanwhile , 3800 cars sold like hotcakes till the end, and after, had a stellar reputation.

3800 Buick is still better. Mod motor is still a fail.

Last edited:
****., you got me. Mod motor architecture appeared to reign supreme for 1-2 years while a lesser LS displacement option was available.
Wasn't meant to be a "gotcha", just pointing out that for similar displacement, the mod was not the factory of impotent rage you've made efforts to construe it as.
Later, a standard 6L variant, based on the same architecture would be more powerful and efficient despite its larger displacement, and the mod motor would forever be in its shadows.
Yes, the bigger engine makes more power. My 6.4L makes 475HP, that's not surprising. The modular was indeed handicapped by its displacement limit, I've not disputed that. The big bore 6.2L variant (Hurricane) that eventually made it into production demonstrated that the architecture itself was just fine and would have been more flexible if Ford had gone ahead with both versions from the get-go.
And in the end, Navigator would always lag in sales, no matter what the competitions engines,
Yep, and GM would discontinue the F-body, twice. Some vehicles just sell better than others.
at the same time Ford was struggling with Mod motor powered cars, continually decontenting 2v cars and struggling with 3v reputation, and 4 v enthalpy getting outclassed during the same period
The 3V was a gong show. The evolution into the Coyote was a success though, and that engine has done well.
:p

3800 Buick is still better
As I said, Mossberg 500 vs a Remington 870, both are tough as nails and will get the job done.

What is similar displacement worth? Displacement is just a number. Why not go further by comparing valve size or compression ratio?

Fact is, those numbers don't matter.

Per class of vehicle, what end user metrics were the engine architectures able to provide?

Anyway, if you want to go there, basically calling power density the end all be all metric, then we've come to an agreement. The old 3.8 was superior to the 2v Mod, and evidently could have been even more if it wasn't displacement challenged.

The end?

Last edited:
OP here. Still haven’t bought a car. There seem to be a lot more decent Buicks in my area than Panther cars, FWIW.

One thing I did realize is that a longitudinal engine in a RWD car would be a lot easier to work on for things like a water pump.

Uhhh, the naturally aspirated Series II/III 3800 was 205HP out of 231ci, so 0.89HP/L. The PI 4.6L 2V was 260HP out of 281ci, so 0.93HP/L.
Grand Marquis never came with 260hp. 260(250?) was a fleet only option, and it drank fuel to get it.

Then the lower hp Grand Marquis had to be geared down so bad to keep the efficiency up. Total dog. 1-2 shift at maybe 55mph?

Too bad the 4.6 was a massive chunk of metal. If it was smaller there'd have been room under the hood to supercharge it like the 240hp 3800, which powered optioned out not only full sized, but mid sized luxury cars to faster times than the stripped down 250hp CVPI ever did. Sure is handy having the power and efficiency in such a small package.

Terrible 4.6.

Last edited:
Day Drinking Emett said:
Too bad the 4.6 was a massive chunk of metal. If it was smaller there'd have been room under the hood to supercharge it like the 240hp 3800
Are you day drinking? The 4.6L 32-valve was available supercharged in the Mustang, which had a much smaller engine bay and was "rated" at 390HP, with them typically making about that at the tires. Numerous examples making anything from 600 to 1,000RWHP. Sure is handy having such a robust powerplant available in the same family. You have to be some kind of special to think that despite the 32V 4.6L coming in the Marauder, that somehow the 32V SC version wouldn't fit 🤡

And of course this swap has been done, many times:
1702852576531.png

481RWHP termi-swapped CV:

Incredible 4.6L. This is the setup Ford should have offered in the Marauder.

Last edited:
No, No day drinking. At least not enough to figure out why you are bringing full sized SUVs, sports cars, and even worse modified into a thread about factory full sized passenger cars. You're going on tangents trying to compare Buicks and their 3800s to vehicles they weren't even offered in.

I've done my best to keep the scope appropriate and no stray too far.

This is a thread about used LeSabre vs GMQ, and morphed into 3800 vs 4.6, which is still roughly on topic. You're linking modified cars strapped to dynos, which of course there are zillions of 3800 examples as well, but I choose not to link them because they aren't appropriate here.

Still. Ford 4.6 was a terrible passenger car engine.

But you go ahead and rock your Grand Marquis that does 0-60 in 10 seconds, averages 18 mpg, eats intake manifolds and timing sets, has the back seat of a Corolla, and blows hot or cold air however and whenever it feels like it.

Last edited:
No, No day drinking. At least not enough to figure out why you are bringing full sized SUVs and sports cars into a thread about full sized passenger cars. You're going on tangents trying to compare Buicks and their 3800s to vehicles they weren't even offered in.
See, that's the problem, you've made numerous unqualified statements that were easily rebutted and then you moved the goal posts, creating the tangents you now accuse me of going on. We could go back through them if you'd like?
I've done my best to keep the scope appropriate and no stray too far.
By making numerous false claims? I think not.
This is a thread about LeSabre vs GMQ, and morphed into 3800 vs 4.6, which is still roughly on topic. You're linking modified cars strapped to dynos, which of course there are zillions of 3800 examples as well, but I choose not to link them because they aren't appropriate here.
Captain Strawman, do you understand why I linked the video of the Crown Vic's with the terminator swap? It's because you said the engine wouldn't fit. See, that was another easily disproven statement, and then you pretend like you've been honest and taken the high road, which is the furthest thing from the truth.

You are simultaneously claiming to lament the thread being derailed, while driving it off-topic with idiotic and easily disproven claims.

You are just trolling me, which is fine, I have no problem playing this game along with you. I've got >57,000 posts on this forum, if you think you are going to outlast me, well, I wish you luck.

Day Drinking Emett said:
Still. Ford 4.6 was a terrible passenger car engine.
Yes, clearly demonstrated by their decades of fleet use in limo, taxi and law enforcement 🤡

Day Drinking Emett said:
But you go ahead and rock your Grand Marquis that does 0-60 in 10 seconds, averages 18 mpg, eats intake manifolds and timing sets, has the back seat of a Corolla, and blows hot or cold air however and whenever it feels like it.
I drive a 475HP SRT Grand Cherokee, I've owned three of them, before that a Charger SRT8, before that, a BMW M5.

As I posted earlier in the thread, my father has an '03 Town Car, which he is very fond of and has had excellent service from. He had an '89 Town Car before that, which I later owned, and did a mild performance build on (H/C/I). Car ran low 15's, which was enough to beat an Xtreme S-10 at the track.

I have some (positive) experience with the platform, but do not currently own one.

Last edited:
OP here. Still haven’t bought a car. There seem to be a lot more decent Buicks in my area than Panther cars, FWIW.

One thing I did realize is that a longitudinal engine in a RWD car would be a lot easier to work on for things like a water pump.
IMO, if you must buy that vintage GM

Try and find the nicest elderly owned Celebration/Limited/Ultra top of the line edition with all the goodies
Regal Gran Sport or a Park Ave Ultra for boosty noises 😀🏁
I believe you got a 4.6 Northstar (that doesn't blow up) in CXS Lucerne, although the Lacrosse was equally nice
Lacrosse Super also had a V8

Maybe a 4.0 Aurora for extra obscurity?

Because the blend door actuators and window regulators are gonna fail anyway, might as well have the nice dual zone climate and heated leather seats to go with it 🤷‍♂️

Sunroofs are 50/50, depending on how much you like the ☀️, and how good you are at fixing leaks

🤦
I'm comparing engines of like displacement, literally the definition of apples to apples.

The 7.7 second 0-60 of the Navigator is considerably better than the 9.5 second 0-60 of the 5.3 equipped Escalade, despite you claiming the contrary.

Where did I say the 5.4L performed better than the 6.0L? Jesus Christ guy, reading comprehension again, I clearly compared it to the 5.3L because you claimed it was underpowered, while it was clearly more powerful than the 5.3L GM offerings

Guys, both these SUVs are slow gas chugging vehicles. Reliability is more important than 15hp in a vehicle that's slow either way.

And the 5.3 doesn't have timing chain issues like the ford, it just doesn't have great oil pressure either once you get high miles.

Guys, both these SUVs are slow gas chugging vehicles. Reliability is more important than 15hp in a vehicle that's slow either way.

And the 5.3 doesn't have timing chain issues like the ford, it just doesn't have great oil pressure either once you get high miles.
Timing chain issues are hit and miss on the modular. We put >200,000 miles on our 2002 Expedition, no issues. My parents currently have >200,000 miles on their 2000 Expedition, no issues. A good friend of mine had an '03 F-150, timing set packed it in at ~90,000 miles.

My SRT is reasonably quick, the Trackhawk is fast.

You really can't go wrong with either, so if you can find a decent Buick, then I think you'll be well-served. I do agree with @michaelluscher on the Aurora, just for the coolness factor (they were beautiful cars) but the odds of finding one are slim, and I'm not sure parts availability would make it a wise choice.

Timing chain issues are hit and miss on the modular. We put >200,000 miles on our 2002 Expedition, no issues. My parents currently have >200,000 miles on their 2000 Expedition, no issues. A good friend of mine had an '03 F-150, timing set packed it in at ~90,000 miles.

My SRT is reasonably quick, the Trackhawk is fast.
Same with the oil pickup o ring issue on the LS engines. They're both good enough engines to move a truck around for a long time (well maybe not the 3v plugspitter)

Same with the oil pickup o ring issue on the LS engines. They're both good enough engines to move a truck around for a long time (well maybe not the 3v plugspitter)
It was a few years of the 2V that spit the plugs, 3V had the plugs that broke off in the heads, lol, and had phaser problems. And yes, despite some minor issues with both the 2V (crossover, timing chain guides, plugs) and the LS-family (oil pump o-ring, AFM lifter failure) both are excellent, durable and long-lived engines that generally deliver excellent service. The Navigator had the 4V 5.4L, while the Aviator had the 4V 4.6L.

IMO, if you must buy that vintage GM

Try and find the nicest elderly owned Celebration/Limited/Ultra top of the line edition with all the goodies
Regal Gran Sport or a Park Ave Ultra for boosty noises 😀🏁
I believe you got a 4.6 Northstar (that doesn't blow up) in CXS Lucerne, although the Lacrosse was equally nice
Lacrosse Super also had a V8

Maybe a 4.0 Aurora for extra obscurity?

Because the blend door actuators and window regulators are gonna fail anyway, might as well have the nice dual zone climate and heated leather seats to go with it 🤷‍♂️

Sunroofs are 50/50, depending on how much you like the ☀️, and how good you are at fixing leaks

I have two of those cars in my saved list. Not the 2010 because it doesn’t have a 3800.

It's fascinating to see how these threads turn out. OP asks "A or B". It seldom takes more than two replies before someone jumps in with "pick C" basically answering a question that wasn't asked.

To answer the OPs question the Ford platform is surprisingly reliable. I have no personal experience with the GM. At the end of the day, I would look at the condition of the perspective car and buy unused miles. It's your money, you get to pick. Good hunting.

Back