Mopar Insiders: Our First Look At The All-New Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter GME-T6 Inline-Six Engine!.

translation: i have no idea what i’m talking about it

pimtac said:
Yep. I was wondering what he was trying to get at

Actually, I do know what I am talking about. This engine has been discussed in depth on the Wrangler forums and it is too long to fit without substantial structural changes to the Wrangler frame. To shorten it enough to fit "as-is" FCA has removed the traditional cylinder liners and is using spray-in cylinder linings.

Here from a Car and Driver article (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39530125/stellantis-twin-turbo-inline-six-specs-details/):
"The block and cylinder head are constructed of aluminum and its cylinders are spray bored using a plasma transfer wire arc process that adds a thin iron coating to the cylinder walls."

That same spray process has been called Nikasil and other trade names. Spray-in cylinder liners have been problematic with other OEMs, and I (speaking only for me) would not trust FCA to get it right out of the box. Hopefully, this clarifies my point.

Last edited:
It says this about the cylinder liners:

"The new powerplant will fit into any vehicle currently sold that has a longitudinal engine.

The block and cylinder head are constructed of aluminum and its cylinders are spray bored using a plasma transfer wire arc process that adds a thin iron coating to the cylinder walls, which Stellantis claims saves three pounds versus using a more traditional iron sleeve."

It say's nothing about the engine not fitting if it had conventional cylinder liners. Or that it was the reason they went with spray coating.

That same spray process has been called Nikasil and other trade names. Spray-in cylinder liners have been problematic with other OEMs, and I (speaking only for me) would not trust FCA to get it right out of the box. Hopefully, this clarifies my point.
nikasil is not ptwa

It says this about the cylinder liners:

"The new powerplant will fit into any vehicle currently sold that has a longitudinal engine.

The block and cylinder head are constructed of aluminum and its cylinders are spray bored using a plasma transfer wire arc process that adds a thin iron coating to the cylinder walls, which Stellantis claims saves three pounds versus using a more traditional iron sleeve."

It say's nothing about the engine not fitting if it had conventional cylinder liners. Or that it was the reason they went with spray coating.
That particular article doesn't say anything about it, but there are others that make statements like "every millimeter counts" and how FCA did not want to retool the Wrangler to use this engine in it. The length of the engine and the ZF transmission would have been too long and spray-in liners was FCA's answer to making it shorter so it would fit.

It has been discussed in the Wrangler forums ad nauseam, but feel free to do your own research.

FWIW: The early reports are less issues with the hurricane 2.0 vs pentastar 3.2/3.6
There are quite a few on the cherokee forum and I think 1 issue so far with a hurricane.
about a billion problems with the tigershark.. pentastar in the middle with some issues.

Tigershark is odd. its overbuilt has the oil actuated valves(multiair?) so you dont even need a throttle body except at idle
and they regularly drink oil so badly they run out and stall.. see it again and again people posting about stalling jeep being super dangerous.. and boom it has no oil in it.

I would try to avoid the new hurricane 3.0 first year.. but even first year I dont expect it to be worse than ford's 1.5L etc.

time will tell!! generally early buyers are the "real world" beta testers!! it all sounds good + coated alum cylinders have been around a long time + correctly done are SUPERIOR but more costly which is why hardly still uses the outdated liners. the coating transfers heat MUCH better + can outlast conventional liners. if Stelantis gets it RIGHT it should be a torquier engine which like diesels are great in heavier vehicles.

time will tell!! generally early buyers are the "real world" beta testers!! it all sounds good + coated alum cylinders have been around a long time + correctly done are SUPERIOR but more costly which is why hardly still uses the outdated liners. the coating transfers heat MUCH better + can outlast conventional liners. if Stelantis gets it RIGHT it should be a torquier engine which like diesels are great in heavier vehicles.
Their track record does not suggest that they will, but it would be good to see one more iteration of ICE before they begin to phase out. I was leaning hard to selling my Jeep and starting a new build when this hit the streets, but I'll "wait and see" how it fares. Besides, I have way too much in mine now to even think about it...

Actually, I do know what I am talking about. This engine has been discussed in depth on the Wrangler forums and it is too long to fit without substantial structural changes to the Wrangler frame. To shorten it enough to fit "as-is" FCA has removed the traditional cylinder liners and is using spray-in cylinder linings.

Here from a Car and Driver article (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39530125/stellantis-twin-turbo-inline-six-specs-details/):
"The block and cylinder head are constructed of aluminum and its cylinders are spray bored using a plasma transfer wire arc process that adds a thin iron coating to the cylinder walls."

Do you know how many inches the block has been shortened due to the spray bore process versus cylinder liners?

I cant believe they want $2000 extra over the 6.4 hemi. I wouldnt take this unproven I6 even if it saved $2000. Not in a luxury wagoneer at least. Luxury is a beast V8.
I feel like I say this a lot these days, but this isn't 1970. True luxury these days is often V12s, and Inline 6s are superior to V8s in just about every way except length. Stronger cranks, less stressed mains, smoother, simpler, half the number of cylinder heads and valvetrains... The list goes on. There's reasons Inline 6s have been close to the standard for large OTR diesel engines for decades.

I wonder if rich people who are the early adopters and beta testers who get stuck holding the bag get annoyed with new designs that puke, or do they just shrug it off as the price of early adopting?

I wonder if rich people who are the early adopters and beta testers who get stuck holding the bag get annoyed with new designs that puke, or do they just shrug it off as the price of early adopting?

I don't know if they were "rich". But a lot of people got burned with the Eco Diesel.

It never pays to line up to be the first. Especially with an engine as complicated as this one looks. Sprayed on cylinder liners, and all.

Do you know how many inches the block has been shortened due to the spray bore process versus cylinder liners?

If the average cylinder liner runs around 3/32" wall thickness, your looking at a minimum of an extra 1-1/8" in block length. Hard to believe they couldn't save that somewhere else from the flywheel to the front of the radiator.

If the average cylinder liner runs around 3/32" wall thickness, your looking at a minimum of an extra 1-1/8" in block length. Hard to believe they couldn't save that somewhere else from the flywheel to the front of the radiator.
Plasma spray coatings are superior to iron liners in most every way. They have better oil retention for better lubrication than simple crosshatching, they adhere on a molecular level to the block rather than simple friction fit, are lighter, and have generally superior friction properties.

Plasma spray coatings are superior to iron liners in most every way. They have better oil retention for better lubrication than simple crosshatching, they adhere on a molecular level to the block rather than simple friction fit, are lighter, and have generally superior friction properties.
Here's a 23 year old article that talks about the differences between different types of coatings vs liners. Including Nikasil and why APS is not remotely the same thing, since I see people point to that as a reason coated cylinders are bad. https://www.wardsauto.com/news-anal...as-about-treating-cylinder-bores-strong-ideas
I don’t think anyone is arguing those points.

It’s just that a lot of people don’t trust Stellantis to get it right out of the gate - especially with an engine this complex, with this high of a specific output.

Back