Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

I was watching a YouTube, showing the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer L. I thought, oh, nice, 12" longer so it's really like a Suburban.

I'm like my dad where I like to spec out things, how I would want it, even if I'm not in the market or not even in a position to get something.

So a year ago it was killing me, and noone mentioned why...the fact that the Grand Wagoneer was physically larger than a Tahoe, yet had much less cargo space. I finally got to the bottom of it, and it's because the grand model has a fixed console in the rear, where as the non grand does not. Who woulda thunk that it would cost 20 cu ft? It can't imho, it has to have to do with the way the EPA measures space is my guess (115 v. 94.2).

Anyway, half way through the video the hood is lifted, and there's a 3 liter inline six, twin turbo. I was floored. As I raced to go to the website to see that maybe this is an optional engine, at first, I felt relieved, it said available 3 liter inline 6. But as I dug further into it, it was "the" only engine available. 3 liter twin turbo inline 6 is a been there done that still in the garage thing for me (2007 N54). I'd rather have a 6.4 liter NA V8 for such a vehicle.

Does anyone else lament the V8 going away, even if you are not buying one today? I have a V8 today, and it's the only one I've ever had in my lifetime. And it's looking as if it's the only one I ever will. Should I be "aspiring" to a 4 cyl? lol :LOL:

I love the 5.7L in my Tundra and I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time but the writing is on the wall - this will likely be my last V8 vehicle not because I don't want another one but because it won't be offered. The new generation Tundra, Sequoia, LX, and Land Cruiser do not offer a V8 anymore.

Now, is it the end of the world? No, as long as it's powerful and reliable what do I really care? The question is will these engines be as reliable? The answer is they are too new to know but I have years ahead of me driving my V8 to figure it out.

My V8 is also made by Toyota...3UZ-FE. It's just so lazy in a good way, if it reached 2500 rpm must be because I'm accelerating onto a highway. Toyota really shot itself in the foot as the EPA numbers on my car are 16/22. But it does 28 mpg all day long on the highway. I wonder if the EPA pulled it and tested it that low on the highway....(06 LS430). In my mind I'd like a modern Tahoe like vehicle with a NA V8....if GM the 6.2.

There are many, many vehicles that make horrible use of available space. I blame

-- side impact standards. Ok, ok. There seems to be a foot of space consumed between the outer door handle and inner arm-rest of car doors now.

-- "Shadow" regulations-- the bigger a vehicle's shadow, the looser the CAFE regs. This is why we see corollas with ground effects packages trying to stretch their lengths.

-- upgrade shaming. Wife's HHR had all this plastic junk in the luggage compartment reducing its space. When I took it out to change a tail light bulb I discovered vastly more room. Think they did it on their loss-leader to try to get people to upgrade to a Tahoe or whatever. This shouldn't apply to Jeep's top-of-the-line model though!

As for the powertrain, I'm confident they'll slap a V8 SRT motor in there for some special edition at some point but they have to maintain interest over a model's run. A twin-turbo I6 looks good on paper. Time will tell if it's awesome or a turkey.

Torn here, the 6.4L Wagoneer has a very nice rumble to it, but the new 3.0L crushes it on numbers.
We'll see.
Would make a great comparison test on TFLTruck IKE gauntlet, and fuel economy loop.

Does anyone else lament the V8 going away, even if you are not buying one today? I have a V8 today, and it's the only one I've ever had in my lifetime. And it's looking as if it's the only one I ever will. Should I be "aspiring" to a 4 cyl? lol :LOL:
Only owned V8's my whole life also. My first vehicle was a used fully loaded 67 Impala with the 283 V8.
I will have to wet nurse my 5.3 V8 2016 Tahoe [bought brand new in 2016] as I will be keeping it for very long time.

In my neck of the woods I see a lot new 2021- 2023 Tahoe,Suburban,Yukon and Escalade so it seems a lot of people still want V8's.

Only owned V8's my whole life also. My first vehicle was a used fully loaded 67 Impala with the 283 V8.
I will have to wet nurse my 5.3 V8 2016 Tahoe [bought brand new in 2016] as I will be keeping it for very long time.

In my neck of the woods I see a lot new 2021- 2023 Tahoe,Suburban,Yukon and Escalade so it seems a lot of people still want V8's.
I'm nit-picking but I was surprised when I saw the current Tahoe/Suburban's rear control arms and how they look when you're driving behind one...I would not know, but would they be detrimental to if going lightly off road? And black steel...

The Tahoe has had superior cargo room and we're used to that amount with our car SUV (Buick Enclave). I put a Draw Tite on myself when the car was 10 (holy rust batman! lol), to take advantage of the 1500 lb. towing capability hahahahahahaha (actually for a bike rack, and cargo carrier)

So in my dreams, I'd like a "real" SUV....and that leads to the Tahoe v. Wagoneer. The Grand Wagoneer having McIntosh is over the top--I always dreamed of that too since being a kid, and that will never happen....

p.s. is the 5.3 a better choice over the 6.2, generally speaking (not to set off any debate, but to a lay person who does not know)

At some point recently, I’ve determined that I’ve had only turbo 6 cylinder engines in both of my cars (2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5 EcoBoost V6 along with my 2008 BMW 535xi), all Hemi V8s, (The Charger and my two Ram 1500 pickups), to what I have now: a turbo 1.6 L 4 cylinder, an electrically supplemented 3.6 V6 in the Jeep (no alternator like in my mom’s or brother’s Wranglers), and the Charger 5.7 Hemi V8.

I’ve come around to accepting that the V8 is becoming an historical engine and will still be around in older cars and trucks. They’re fun beasts in the right build, and I intend to own one for the foreseeable future. But I also think if I can get comparable performance and reliability (key word there) I will be ok with it.

I’m sure people lamented the loss of the V10, V12 and V16 engines from the past as well. 😎

I've been reading up on the 3.0L Hurricane engine, the numbers look great. Here's my concerns, and the early adopters will certainly tell me if they're valid or not. Plasma transfer-wire arc coatings in the cylinders instead of a sleeved cylinder. It saves ~ 3lbs of weight per cylinder, some swear at it, some swear by it. DI only 1 injector per cylinder, do they know something mfgs. like Ford and Toyota didn't? Which is why they opted out of using 2 injectors per cylinder. I have a feeling long term the 1 injector per cylinder is going to be a problem, just like others have/had with it. Yea the 2.0 I-4 has been around a while, but not quite long enough to know how good their 1 injector per cylinder DI engines really are. I want to think this is going to be a great engine but I have some doubts. Hopefully they keep the V8 and Pentastar around in their other vehicles a few more years while they work out the Hurricane bugs.

Literally the only thing I miss about a V8 in my 2016 F150 is the sound of the V8. Otherwise, the performance of my 2.7 Ecoboost is better than any other V8 truck I've owned in anyway... And this is my 4th F150.
I wondered about what sounds like a tiny engine pulling a car trailer with a vehicle on it. The 2.7 might do it, but I’d lean towards the 3.5 in a Ford for my own peace of mind. Can the 2.7 pull a decent load like the old V8s?

I’ve got access to my brother’s Express 3500 van with the 6.0 if I need to tow. I’m planning to re-engine the 2008 Silverado my mom has that has a failed 5.3 sometime in the next couple of months…. Just curious about those pickups with the new small engines.. 😀

At some point recently, I’ve determined that I’ve had only turbo 6 cylinder engines in both of my cars (2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5 EcoBoost V6 along with my 2008 BMW 535xi), all Hemi V8s, (The Charger and my two Ram 1500 pickups), to what I have now: a turbo 1.6 L 4 cylinder, an electrically supplemented 3.6 V6 in the Jeep (no alternator like in my mom’s or brother’s Wranglers), and the Charger 5.7 Hemi V8.

I’ve come around to accepting that the V8 is becoming an historical engine and will still be around in older cars and trucks. They’re fun beasts in the right build, and I intend to own one for the foreseeable future. But I also think if I can get comparable performance and reliability (key word there) I will be ok with it.

I’m sure people lamented the loss of the V10, V12 and V16 engines from the past as well. 😎
hehe I don't think V10,V12,V16 were ever for "common folk..." A V12 has primary and secondary balance, I've never even driven one. Sad to say likely the most powerful V8 I've ever driven was in an Alpina B7, around 2009. Back then from memory it broke the 500 barrier for torque (I could be wrong). We do have a V16 at work. It's a Kohler generator

I need to get out more, while everyone is at 500+ HP and Ft. lbs...I'm still at 300 lol

:)

I've been reading up on the 3.0L Hurricane engine, the numbers look great. Here's my concerns, and the early adopters will certainly tell me if they're valid or not. Plasma transfer-wire arc coatings in the cylinders instead of a sleeved cylinder. It saves ~ 3lbs of weight per cylinder, some swear at it, some swear by it. DI only 1 injector per cylinder, do they know something mfgs. like Ford and Toyota didn't? Which is why they opted out of using 2 injectors per cylinder. I have a feeling long term the 1 injector per cylinder is going to be a problem, just like others have/had with it. Yea the 2.0 I-4 has been around a while, but not quite long enough to know how good their 1 injector per cylinder DI engines really are. I want to think this is going to be a great engine but I have some doubts. Hopefully they keep the V8 and Pentastar around in their other vehicles a few more years while they work out the Hurricane bugs.
Given the price tags of say the Grand Wagoneers, I even wonder if the mfg is catering to leasing, i.e. who cares if it breaks, a person leasing won't have it long enough to be out of warranty anyway, there isn't any concern what happens say at mile 36,000.1 (what's happened to premium cars having 4/50)...

Given the price tags of say the Grand Wagoneers, I even wonder if the mfg is catering to leasing, i.e. who cares if it breaks, a person leasing won't have it long enough to be out of warranty anyway, there isn't any concern what happens say at mile 36,000.1 (what's happened to premium cars having 4/50)...
Good point, but they live on after the lease is up, and not everyone leases. In any event I wouldn't be an early adopter.

A very good point. No question that the pistons, rings, rods, and crank bearing are subjected to increased loading on turbos. Can they last 200,000 miles? There should be a lot of 2.7 Turbo Chevy trucks approaching those mileage numbers. How are they fairing?

A very good point. No question that the pistons, rings, rods, and crank bearing are subjected to increased loading on turbos. Can they last 200,000 miles? There should be a lot of 2.7 Turbo Chevy trucks approaching those mileage numbers. How are they fairing?
Thing is, those can easily be made to last—look at any big rig. I was kinda surprised to compare engine weight of the 5L Coyote and the 3.5L Ecoboost, they aren’t far apart.

Question is, were they made to last? Pretty easy to shave some weight and trade longevity for mpg.

Back