Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

2.0 DI turbo engines saw day of light first time in VW in 2003. World doesn’t revolve around US.
Small turbo engines are present in Europe since beginning of 80’s, and that is just gasoline. Diesel turbo engines were staple of the market between 1991 and 2016.
Engines constantly evolve. Metalurgy evolves without you ever paying attention unless it is marketing pitch, that might be totally irrelevant or might be huge improvement.
The reason why this topic pops out every month here is that many members still don’t know that Bill Clinton won 1992 elections and United 232 is still fresh news.
Change is the only thing that is constant.
OK no need for sarcasm, it's a road best not traveled. ;) Everything evolves, I agree. Why did DI problems rear their ugly head a few years down the road after it's implementation after the big push away from EFI? It had to Evolve, some added a second injector to help with the problems. The engine in question is a new engine, with 1 injector per cylinder.

DI took years to work the problems out, and it still has problems for some. Just because the technology has been around doesn't mean it is perfected across all auto manufacturers. If that were the case then all then there would be no difference in engine quality from one car maker to the next. Me I'd prefer to watch others work out the bugs.

I will die with my 3 V8s. No electric and no 4 cylinder crap cans go in my garage. I don't care that your Weakoboost or twin turbo 4-banger makes more power overall. It won't last under the duty cycles I exhibit every day.

Last edited:
OK no need for sarcasm, it's a road best not traveled. ;) Everything evolves, I agree. Why did DI problems rear their ugly head a few years down the road after it's implementation after the big push away from EFI? It had to Evolve, some added a second injector to help with the problems. The engine in question is a new engine, with 1 injector per cylinder.

DI took years to work the problems out, and it still has problems for some. Just because the technology has been around doesn't mean it is perfected across all auto manufacturers. If that were the case then all then there would be no difference in engine quality from one car maker to the next. Me I'd prefer to watch others work out the bugs.
BMW has 1 injector and doesn’t have a problem. Jump from EFI to DI was big thing. What you talking about are improvements in metallurgical process. It could be bad or not. We will see. But this thread is not about that. It is in general about this tragic moment of moving from V8 to inline six in vehicles by the company that bankrupt several times while V8’s were name of the game. They didn’t bankrupt bcs. they were making quality product. So, let’s hope new I-6 is not made the way they made their older engines.

Edit: I wouldn’t be surprised if this technology was already utilized in F1 and Ferrari models. I don’t fallow as close F1 anymore or Ferrari, but hard to believe JEEP is getting this first.

Last edited:
BMW has 1 injector and doesn’t have a problem. Jump from EFI to DI was big thing. What you talking about are improvements in metallurgical process. It could be bad or not. We will see. But this thread is not about that. It is in general about this tragic moment of moving from V8 to inline six in vehicles by the company that bankrupt several times while V8’s were name of the game. They didn’t bankrupt bcs. they were making quality product. So, let’s hope new I-6 is not made the way they made their older engines.

Edit: I wouldn’t be surprised if this technology was already utilized in F1 and Ferrari models. I don’t fallow as close F1 anymore or Ferrari, but hard to believe JEEP is getting this first.
BMW and Stellantis are two different animals, totally different animals. The quality of this engine remains to be seen, even if the technology was proven by their competition. That's the point I'm trying to make. I would love to buy a JLU Rubicon at some point with this engine, but not until it proves itself.

Regarding BMW and Mercedes and their DI I-6 Turbo engines I'm sure I'll be talking with my buddy @Trav about them at some point very soon.

I lament the absence of simple V8s in larger vehicles.
I lament the absence of larger displacement simple V6's in mid-size vehicles.
I abhor the mass market small I-3, I-4 and V6 DI turbo engines that are overly complex, overly expensive, and trouble prone in the long term.
I acknowledge I have no ability to change the above.

Well there’s plenty of V8’s out there to be had, so it’s not like they’re being wiped off the face of the Earth. With that said, I understand the meaning of this thread is about the demise of the V8 in new vehicles, and on that front, I really find myself indifferent to it. I suppose it’s because, as dnewton3 said above, I can’t change what’s happening.
I have an ancient dinosaur of a V8 sitting in my driveway, and I love it, but time marches on. Hopefully I can keep her running in top shape until the day I can’t drive her anymore.

Great lamentations for the demise of the V8...............I wanna HEAR myself goin' fast!!!!!!

Here is an animation of a common V8 firing order. You will notice that 2 cylinders on each bank fire in succession, followed by a skip. This results in the classic and distinct V8 sound, both at low RPM and at high RPM. Besides the very smooth operation of modern V8 engines, the firing order is directly responsible for the very pleasant nature of the engine. In other words, when many hours are spent behind the wheel, it is not fatiguing. Most other designs produce an even drone sound, which can be bothersome, even if a motorist is unaware of it.

My wife, for example loves the V8 F150 and won't even drive the 2 V6 Ecoboost versions I have 2.7 and 3.5. She is utterly unaware of the reasons why.

Yup, a few years ago I drew out a typical V8 firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) and figured out why, with a crossplane V8, it is unavoidable that two cylinders on the same bank fire consecutively.

I've been reading up on the 3.0L Hurricane engine, the numbers look great. Here's my concerns, and the early adopters will certainly tell me if they're valid or not. Plasma transfer-wire arc coatings in the cylinders instead of a sleeved cylinder. It saves ~ 3lbs of weight per cylinder, some swear at it, some swear by it. DI only 1 injector per cylinder, do they know something mfgs. like Ford and Toyota didn't? Which is why they opted out of using 2 injectors per cylinder. I have a feeling long term the 1 injector per cylinder is going to be a problem, just like others have/had with it. Yea the 2.0 I-4 has been around a while, but not quite long enough to know how good their 1 injector per cylinder DI engines really are. I want to think this is going to be a great engine but I have some doubts. Hopefully they keep the V8 and Pentastar around in their other vehicles a few more years while they work out the Hurricane bugs.
It's hard to understand (other than saving on costs) how manufacturers haven't all gone to PFI + DI. It's the best of both worlds and it prevents THE BIGGEST issue with DI and that issue can be a huge PITA.

I lament the absence of simple V8s in larger vehicles.
I lament the absence of larger displacement simple V6's in mid-size vehicles.
I abhor the mass market small I-3, I-4 and V6 DI turbo engines that are overly complex, overly expensive, and trouble prone in the long term.
I acknowledge I have no ability to change the above.
Long live 3 speed hydramatic.

It's hard to understand (other than saving on costs) how manufacturers haven't all gone to PFI + DI. It's the best of both worlds and it prevents THE BIGGEST issue with DI and that issue can be a huge PITA.
It depends on the manufacturer. CBU issues were affecting performance in early adopters. BMW had for example CBU issue in its N54 I-6, but newer engines don’t have, regardless that it is only DI.

BMW and Stellantis are two different animals, totally different animals. The quality of this engine remains to be seen, even if the technology was proven by their competition. That's the point I'm trying to make. I would love to buy a JLU Rubicon at some point with this engine, but not until it proves itself.

Regarding BMW and Mercedes and their DI I-6 Turbo engines I'm sure I'll be talking with my buddy @Trav about them at some point very soon.
BMW has DI I-6 since 2006. Actually they have 3rd generation of DI I-6.

Back