Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

Exactly why my 01 Durango with it's 360 cubic inch (I hate that they converted engine displacement to " liters") and 308k(and still climbing) is still being driven daily and will be driven into the ground.
And my 78 Fury with it's 318 isn't leaving any time soon either.
I'm not as crazy about the "4.7" in my newest vehicle, 12 ram 1500 reg cab long bed 2wd)
it does what I need it to though.
The 318 in my 96 Dakota is closing in on a 1/4 million miles, it's been relegated to my "mowing truck" and winter beater with it's 4wd-ness.
But not because of the power train but because it's body and frame,is getting "that bad". Still dead solid dependable.
Though I am redoing an 85 D150 in the garage that retains it's slant 6, instead of a V8.
I have never (and hopefully will never) own a front drive anything. I hate working on them, with their engines in sideways. Been working on cars and trucks since the 80s for a living..... The older I get the more I appreciate simplicity rather than needless high tech that I've gotten by just fine without for 55 years now and counting.
Why do we need 10+ "modules" on a vehicle to do what we did with a single electronic ignition module for years?

Never had any of the old muscle cars, but had a bunch with small block V8 motors back in the day. My full size SUV with a six cylinder naturally aspirated motor is every inch as quick, if not quicker than any of those old V8 motors.

So no, don't miss em.

I used to worry about having a V8. The problem is that they're thirsty and I drive too many miles for it to be practical these days. I've had many V8s, a Jag, my last F150, and an '04 GTO. I'm having a lot of fun with small turbo powerplants these days. Allows me to have fun and still get good fuel economy.

Yes I miss the V8.
Jeeps with a six were OK. but cars? I was hesitant except for my diesel MBs.
Got over it though. Would like to go back to a Pontiac V8. My first car was a 1969 Lemans convertible with a 350HO, Hush Thrush added to the factory dual exhaust. I have always missed the rumble that no newer type mufflers made since can imitate.

I didn't read this entire thread but the only way I'd want a V8 in a passenger car would be if I lived way out in the open spaces where I could capitalize on a slower revving engine, or if for some reason I needed the power.

Yes I would lament the widespread decline in V8 applications, if I needed the power of a V8. It is very interesting that the current base Silverado is a 4-cylinder turbo. The 5.3 V8 is still available, with nearly the same real-world fuel economy world and arguably better reliability (aside from the variable displacement system). The 2.7L 4cyl has lots of tech, check out the camshaft system in that thing.

Last edited:
Back