Test drove a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the high output 3.0L twin turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
ERCOT average emissions intensity can be monitored here:
That is a pretty interesting site.

I checked out generation mix all over the world. My wife's native Sao Paulo, Brazil is a lot greener than most of the US, mostly hydro with some nuclear. While they drive much smaller cars, I would say a lot of their electrical usage is similar to ours. A lot of people have AC, while Sao Paulo is somewhat cooler due to the higher elevation, a lot of the "Central Brazil" zone is not.

What do they mean by biomass? You see that in Germany and a few other places.

That is a pretty interesting site.

I checked out generation mix all over the world. My wife's native Sao Paulo, Brazil is a lot greener than most of the US, mostly hydro with some nuclear. While they drive much smaller cars, I would say a lot of their electrical usage is similar to ours. A lot of people have AC, while Sao Paulo is somewhat cooler due to the higher elevation, a lot of the "Central Brazil" zone is not.
Yes, it's a very neat site! Finland got a LOT greener when OL-3 came online, which was quite satisfying to see.
What do they mean by biomass? You see that in Germany and a few other places.
Biomass is burning trees and brush and stuff and it's something that's considered "renewable" but this is highly contested by some parties, as are its lifecycle emissions. Drax for example, in the UK, burns wood pellets that come from British Columbia, yes, the other side of Canada.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Both the Caprice and WS6 are over 400hp and torque to the wheels. There is a time and place for it, I like it that way, both pass emissions and will get 22 to 26 Mpg on the highway. Everyone's reality is different.
IMO - that’s the upper end of normality - 700-800 in factory cars - or 470 in a Jeep Wrangler is getting dangerous …

Incorrect based on whom or what? There are leagues of information out there, but where one lies on the subject is often aligned with political orientation, which in turn drives an average individual's media choices. Anti-electrification media often features folks like Mark Mills from Praeger University and also the Manhattan Institute who are alined with and funded by Big Oil. One examination of spurious claims: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...eving-climate-change-to-attacking-renewables/

Anyway....one person I've seen posted here a number of times is Engineering Explained. Here's his take on ICE vs EVs:

No doubt, mining for lithium, cobalt and other rare earths is bad. But so is mining for coal, or drilling for oil, fracking, etc, all of which must be burned, whereas the rare earths can be recycled.

Electric motors are also much more efficent than ICE, leading to an overall decrease in energy usage for propulsion, regardless of how that energy is produced. Yes, we all know the battery density is not there to do heavy work, but, newer, denser battery chemistries are being worked on all over the world. Range continues to be improved. And safer chemistries are in production for some models - all Tesla Model Y are now LFP (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) battery powered.

Conversely, we are all seeing the downside of continuous attempts to make ICE vehicles ever more efficient. They are becoming more complex and less reliable. I'm not sure how many comments a week are posted here regarding anti-DI, anti-Turbocharging viewpoints but it's quite a lot.

Nevertheless, despite some of the bans out there, you will continue to have a choice. I know which way I'm leaning, and it's not towards acquring another vehicle that takes motor oil.

My country has 40 million people. It's very silly to think that forcing electric down our (Canada) throats and paying all these carbon taxes is going to solve any problem when we have China and Africa doing whatever they want. Then we have the millionaire jet-set life style, the shipping tankers which basically dump raw crude into the ocean as fuel, our disposable economy etc.

There is a lot that can be done which has more effect on fixing our issue, and less effect on the guy living paycheck to paycheck.

Again I'm not knowledgeable in this area in the slightest, but it doesn't take a genius to do the math either.

I'm also unconvinced that the current climate projections are A) significantly accurate, B) a large problem, and C) not just a simple cycle. Remember we're pulling up viking artifacts that were previously buried a few hundred years ago.

I used to be far less cynical, then covid and "the experts" arrived telling us one thing and doing another themselves and I think we all know how that played out if we're honest. It's never as simple as what the current narrative in the media wants us to believe.

I refuse to play those games anymore. The covid crisis opened my eyes, and now the entire media, government system, and much of the medical profession can go skip rope. I'll never "simply trust" like that again. No doubt the same issues effects this climate change issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back