Tonight's rental - 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe 2.0 turbo.

Folks, I'm hitting the road early in the morning.... and this one is gonna be interesting. It is a 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe with a 2.0 turbo engine. I have it in the garage and plugged in. I know it won't get to 100% charge before I leave, but we'll see how much it does get. It has 2,000 miles on it. Build date of 12/23.

Heated and cooled leather seats with massage, NAV, night vision... it has it all.

They also had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe... but I wasn't in the mood to drive a farm tractor. Plus, I still have flashbacks from that horrible Tacoma TuRD that I last rented. I wanted some comforts on this trip.... nor did I want to be driving something with a 2.0 liter turbo engine and 285/70-17 tires. I can't imagine how that 2.0 turbo would push something with the aerodynamic properties of a brick down the road.

With the electric motors and that turbo 2.0l combined, it should motivate that GC or the Wrangler that you passed on just fine. I wouldn’t say that the GC is much more aerodynamic than the wrangler, but the ride and comfort will probably be a little better. 🤔😉
Anyway, I’ll be interested in reading your overall review of it once you’re done with it. Safe travels. 🍻

Congrats on the experience & GC. The name goes way back but definitely not the same machine nor would you want the old one after driving a new one.

I would think this is a very well-sorted driveline and feel. I have some complaints against the Chrysler value system, but this isn’t one of them.

With the electric motors and that turbo 2.0l combined, it should motivate that GC or the Wrangler that you passed on just fine. I wouldn’t say that the GC is much more aerodynamic than the wrangler, but the ride and comfort will probably be a little better. 🤔😉
Anyway, I’ll be interested in reading your overall review of it once you’re done with it. Safe travels. 🍻
I have a Wrangler Sahara 4xe and I find the ride and handling to be more than acceptable. My wife and I test drove a GC Trailhawk and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my wife preferred the Wrangler as well.

Based on several time slips posted on one of the 4xe boards, a Wrangler Sahara 4xe will run the quarter in 13.8 seconds. I think that’s quick enough for an SUV with legitimate off-road capability. I might take mine to the local 1/8 mile strip after I take my C43 a couple of times.

Enjoy.

I found the engine to be harsh compared to their normal gas offerings.

Seems like a great local runner with EV range though.

I have a Wrangler Sahara 4xe and I find the ride and handling to be more than acceptable. My wife and I test drove a GC Trailhawk and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my wife preferred the Wrangler as well.
x2. I drive my JL cross country a few times a year, it is very comfortable. More comfortable than the other vehicles in my sig. The new GCs look nice, but aren't a real grand anymore, that ended in 04.

Gosh...I forgot to follow up on this. Overall, it showed 21.7mpg. Not great, not terrible. I verified this number at the gas pump.

Started out early in the morning with 78% charge on the battery. It had 17% battery when I picked it up at the airport. The charging cord was hiding in the spare tire well, and had never been used prior to me. I picked up that additional 70% of charge in around 8 hours or so, using a 110 volt outlet.

One thing that tripped me up, was that I raised the hood (to check the oil and washer fluid) while it was plugged in/charging, and it stopped charging. After opening and closing the hood several times, and plugging and and unplugging the charger... it wouldn't resume charging until I uplugged it, started the gas engine, shut it off, and then plugged it back in again. Maybe there's something else that I'm missing here... but that made it take a charge again and that's all I cared about.

I left it in Hybrid mode to see how far I could get until it got down to 50%, then I put it in e-save mode, to save as much of that 50% as possible for later in the day. I made it across 65 miles of 85% interstate, 10% two lane, and 5% urban before switching over to 'e-save' mode at 50%. At this point, the gas gauge showed that I'd used around a gallon of gas. I determined this because the 'miles to empty' calculation for the gasoline had gone down by 20 miles.

I saved the rest of the 50% to use on the return trip home. However, it ended up being more like 40% because it kept putting itself back into Hybrid mode after it had been shut off... and I didn't catch it right away. Everytime the engine is shut off, it automatically resets to Hybrid mode when re-started. I'm not surprised that it does this by default, but not a fan of it, and maybe it can be changed to default to something else in the settings somehow. The Hybrid/Electric/e-save switch is in a horrible spot on the dash, completely obstructed by the steering wheel. It isn't obvious as to which mode it is in, unless you look.

When passing on two-lane roads or on the interstate, this thing was a rocket. It goes from 60 to 100 in about 4 seconds. This powertrain could easily run at 90 miles an hour, all day long (but I'm not sure how well it would do when the battery is at 0%, and it is solely reliant on the 2.0 turbo). It was silky smooth when at speed and out on the open road. I constantly had to whoa it down from 80+ on two lane rural highways. There was little perception at all as to how fast I was really going.

It was nice and quiet on the inside, but there were times when under demand that the 2.0 engine would get thrashy and noisy. The steering sometimes had an annoying tendency to gently wander to the left and right, but I suspect that it might have been tracking in and out of slight depressions in the asphalt pavement, pounded in by semi trucks. I've felt the same sensation on roads that are so rutted by semis, that you can see the water standing in the ruts and no where else, after a light rainfall.

There was so much light coming through the dual panel sunroof (above both front and back seats) that it washed out the navigation screen. Maybe there was a way to make it brighter, but I never found it. Plus it doesn't help that the nav panel is angled upwards towards the sunroof.

The ambient wrap around soft mood lighting in the cabin, that lit up after dark was a nice touch as well.

All of the typical nanny functions were there and available, including lane keep/lane departure and whatnot.

The Google navigation and the Alpine stereo system were top notch. I felt that the seats were too hard, and simply weren't as comfortable as they could have been. It seems to me that sometimes, the leather is just stretched way too tightly, and it makes hard seats even harder. I do love the shape and comfort of the cloth seats in the 2019+ Ram 1500 trucks though.

When I got home, it still had 8% on the battery, so I ran it back out to the airport in electric mode. It played what I could call "new age" (relaxion/meditation/yoga) music ever so softly through the stereo, I assume to cover up some of the noise/whine of the electric drivetrain. But driving it in electric mode gave me the full appreiciation of how much it contributes to the gasoline drivetrain. And it burned through all 8% in less than two miles.

Unfortunately, there was no window sticker to be found, and I really wanted to find one. It had Missouri plates and was registered to EAM Holdings (aka Enterprise) out of St. Louis.

Yep, I'd drive one as a rental again... gladly. To own one at around $65,000... no thanks.

Having Breakfast at the Triple XXX Family Restaurant/Drive-In in scenic downtown West Lafayette, IN.
1707334323467.jpg

I just checked AutoTrader in Phoenix to see how the depreciation is doing. Discovered 9/15 of them have branded titles as Buyback/Lemons. Not sure I'll consider buying one now lol.

Here's my search:
AutoTrader

I just checked AutoTrader in Phoenix to see how the depreciation is doing. Discovered 9/15 of them have branded titles as Buyback/Lemons. Not sure I'll consider buying one now lol.

Here's my search:
AutoTrader
When I was looking for a used Wrangler 4xe their vehicle histories fell into one of three categories: lemon buybacks, Wranglers that saw the dealer every 2,000 miles or less and Wranglers that only visited the dealer for scheduled maintenance. I bought a Wrangler 4xe from the third category. An added bonus was the dealer that sold/serviced it was part of the same dealer group that sold/serviced my Mazdaspeed3- people that I trusted.
Just to be safe I bought the 8 year/75,000 mile Mopar Maximum Care warranty for a great price.So far so good; since I picked it up in October it has averaged nearly 50 mpg.

Based on several time slips posted on one of the 4xe boards, a Wrangler Sahara 4xe will run the quarter in 13.8 seconds. I think that’s quick enough for an SUV with legitimate off-road capability. I might take mine to the local 1/8 mile strip after I take my C43 a couple of times.
Yea for off road.The 2023 Suburban and Ford Expedition are right around 7.6 - zero to sixty.

I need to start renting with whoever it is you rent from.

My last rental had 50,000 miles on it.
The JGC 4xe I rented last week had 800 miles on it. This week’s Expedition Limited had 1200. The Expedition Platinum 3 weeks ago had 142 miles. Nobody really seems to rent the big SUVs besides me from the location I rent from, and I’m perfectly OK with that, and the counter people are happy to help me out. 😎

Crazy that they cost that much, but sounds like a nice vehicle. I also found the Wrangler 4Xe to be interesting. I'm not sure the Wrangler really fits my needs as a mostly highway driver, though I like the idea of the plug in hybrid approach. I think the aerodynamics(or lack of) hurt my use, but for offroad capability and around town EV driving it would be excellent.

Crazy that they cost that much, but sounds like a nice vehicle. I also found the Wrangler 4Xe to be interesting. I'm not sure the Wrangler really fits my needs as a mostly highway driver, though I like the idea of the plug in hybrid approach. I think the aerodynamics(or lack of) hurt my use, but for offroad capability and around town EV driving it would be excellent.
I've taken my Wrangler on a few 200 mile round trips and it is hardly a penalty box. However, that type of driving is not where the 4xe excels. I have a 24 mile round trip commute so the IC will usually only run for a couple of miles- if at all. I plug it in every night so I rarely fill the tank more than once per month. Living on a farm directly adjacent to a forested area I need something that can drag a fallen tree out of the way or be able to drive around it with no drama. For me, the 4xe is a perfect fit. I do miss my 1999 Wrangler a bit; I owned it for 21 years and it was always rough and ready, but the 4xe is far more versatile.

When I got home, it still had 8% on the battery, so I ran it back out to the airport in electric mode. It played what I could call "new age" (relaxion/meditation/yoga) music ever so softly through the stereo, I assume to cover up some of the noise/whine of the electric drivetrain.
Do you think maybe you were hearing the external, pedestrian warning speaker? My Prius Prime does this and I'd call it a mix of the Jetsons "whoooo" and metal-on-metal brakes grinding.

Gosh...I forgot to follow up on this. Overall, it showed 21.7mpg. Not great, not terrible. I verified this number at the gas pump.

Started out early in the morning with 78% charge on the battery. It had 17% battery when I picked it up at the airport. The charging cord was hiding in the spare tire well, and had never been used prior to me. I picked up that additional 70% of charge in around 8 hours or so, using a 110 volt outlet.

One thing that tripped me up, was that I raised the hood (to check the oil and washer fluid) while it was plugged in/charging, and it stopped charging. After opening and closing the hood several times, and plugging and and unplugging the charger... it wouldn't resume charging until I uplugged it, started the gas engine, shut it off, and then plugged it back in again. Maybe there's something else that I'm missing here... but that made it take a charge again and that's all I cared about.

I left it in Hybrid mode to see how far I could get until it got down to 50%, then I put it in e-save mode, to save as much of that 50% as possible for later in the day. I made it across 65 miles of 85% interstate, 10% two lane, and 5% urban before switching over to 'e-save' mode at 50%. At this point, the gas gauge showed that I'd used around a gallon of gas. I determined this because the 'miles to empty' calculation for the gasoline had gone down by 20 miles.

I saved the rest of the 50% to use on the return trip home. However, it ended up being more like 40% because it kept putting itself back into Hybrid mode after it had been shut off... and I didn't catch it right away. Everytime the engine is shut off, it automatically resets to Hybrid mode when re-started. I'm not surprised that it does this by default, but not a fan of it, and maybe it can be changed to default to something else in the settings somehow. The Hybrid/Electric/e-save switch is in a horrible spot on the dash, completely obstructed by the steering wheel. It isn't obvious as to which mode it is in, unless you look.

When passing on two-lane roads or on the interstate, this thing was a rocket. It goes from 60 to 100 in about 4 seconds. This powertrain could easily run at 90 miles an hour, all day long (but I'm not sure how well it would do when the battery is at 0%, and it is solely reliant on the 2.0 turbo). It was silky smooth when at speed and out on the open road. I constantly had to whoa it down from 80+ on two lane rural highways. There was little perception at all as to how fast I was really going.

It was nice and quiet on the inside, but there were times when under demand that the 2.0 engine would get thrashy and noisy. The steering sometimes had an annoying tendency to gently wander to the left and right, but I suspect that it might have been tracking in and out of slight depressions in the asphalt pavement, pounded in by semi trucks. I've felt the same sensation on roads that are so rutted by semis, that you can see the water standing in the ruts and no where else, after a light rainfall.

There was so much light coming through the dual panel sunroof (above both front and back seats) that it washed out the navigation screen. Maybe there was a way to make it brighter, but I never found it. Plus it doesn't help that the nav panel is angled upwards towards the sunroof.

The ambient wrap around soft mood lighting in the cabin, that lit up after dark was a nice touch as well.

All of the typical nanny functions were there and available, including lane keep/lane departure and whatnot.

The Google navigation and the Alpine stereo system were top notch. I felt that the seats were too hard, and simply weren't as comfortable as they could have been. It seems to me that sometimes, the leather is just stretched way too tightly, and it makes hard seats even harder. I do love the shape and comfort of the cloth seats in the 2019+ Ram 1500 trucks though.

When I got home, it still had 8% on the battery, so I ran it back out to the airport in electric mode. It played what I could call "new age" (relaxion/meditation/yoga) music ever so softly through the stereo, I assume to cover up some of the noise/whine of the electric drivetrain. But driving it in electric mode gave me the full appreiciation of how much it contributes to the gasoline drivetrain. And it burned through all 8% in less than two miles.

Unfortunately, there was no window sticker to be found, and I really wanted to find one. It had Missouri plates and was registered to EAM Holdings (aka Enterprise) out of St. Louis.

Yep, I'd drive one as a rental again... gladly. To own one at around $65,000... no thanks.

Having Breakfast at the Triple XXX Family Restaurant/Drive-In in scenic downtown West Lafayette, IN.
View attachment 202365
I’ve dined at the XXX myself. Good little local spot.

Do you think maybe you were hearing the external, pedestrian warning speaker? My Prius Prime does this and I'd call it a mix of the Jetsons "whoooo" and metal-on-metal brakes grinding.

The 4xe does play a pedestrian warning sound when in EV mode.

Back