2023 Grand Cherokee 4xe Summit

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Dropped the SRT off at the dealership this afternoon. It goes in tomorrow for the headlight washer nozzle replacement, so I decided to drop it off early and was able to snag the owner's Grand Cherokee 4xe Summit. I'll update this with some more impressions later, as I've only driven it a few km so far.

IMG_5528.jpg

He has the same snow tires as I do (Michelin Xice Snow SUV) so that was a pleasant surprise.

So far:

- Seats are a firmer than the Laguna ones in the SRT, but with less bolstering.
- Ride is more compliant
- The 4-cylinder is, when cold, a bit unrefined, but quiets down after it has run, and is then smooth
- The HUD is a nice feature that I really enjoy on the newer vehicles
- Physical buttons added back for the seat and wheel heat are appreciated, as is the larger screen

Have not had a chance to compare the McIntosh sound system to the HK in the SRT yet, will do that on the way home.

The interior is not a bad place to be. The ride is firm, but not jarring, handling seems good. Less sporty than the SRT, but that's to be expected.

Will post up some interior pics when I get a chance.

How much does this thing weigh? Did you get a chance to push that little engine? Does it drone a lot, like in Toyotas case? Does it at least move with authority?

I personally don’t like having a little four banger powering such heavy vehicles, doesn’t matter if they’re hybrid, those little engines still struggle when pushed. It doesn’t feel right to me.

I test drove a 2023 RDX during the summer and while it had plenty of power and torque, that four banger just didn’t feel/sound right.

How much does this thing weigh? Did you get a chance to push that little engine? Does it drone a lot, like in Toyotas case? Does it at least move with authority?
No drone, pedal is dialled-in pretty soft, and no, I haven't stuffed it, it only has 946km on it.
I personally don’t like having a little four banger powering such heavy vehicles, doesn’t matter if they’re hybrid, those little engines still struggle when pushed. It doesn’t feel right to me.
Yeah, I mean, the hybrid assist certainly helps with the off the line torque, but I'd rather have the larger I6 (which they don't yet offer).
I test drove a 2023 RDX during the summer and while it had plenty of power and torque, that four banger just didn’t feel/sound right.
My comparison is the X5 XDrive45e PHEV, which has the bigger i6 TT engine. It's definitely a lot "peppier", and would seem more appropriate for a vehicle this size.

How much does this thing weigh? Did you get a chance to push that little engine?
Had to give it a kick in the butt yesterday just before I brought it back because I was coming out of a side street. It scoots surprisingly well, but it doesn't feel as natural as the I6 + electric boost in the X5 PHEV.

Final observations:
I'm glad to be back in my SRT.

There is chatter of an NBS SRT leveraging the HO Hurricane engine, not sure if it will be hybrid or not, would be nice if it was for the torque boost, but that would also affect the weight balance a bit with the battery.

The morning I fired it up to take it back, it told me it needed an oil change. With less than 1,000km on it 😬

Apparently, this is common with them (the Jeep PHEV's) when the ICE doesn't get run enough and creates fuel dilution. The ECM "corrects" for this by commanding early oil changes.

I did tether my iPhone and played the same music I play through the HK system in the SRT. I did NOT adjust his equalizer settings (mine are set to flat with surround off) but did turn off surround so that the comparison would be reasonably fair. I think the HK sounds a bit better than the McIntosh setup, at least at the volumes I was listening, but I didn't push it to really give it a go.

The WK2 is definitely the more engaging drive, due in part to the smaller interior and shorter wheelbase. The new platform is more spacious, but you feel that in the larger footprint and it being less nimble. Not a bad thing, just different. If they do make an SRT version, it will be interesting to see how they attempt to make it feel more "sporty".

Had to give it a kick in the butt yesterday just before I brought it back because I was coming out of a side street. It scoots surprisingly well, but it doesn't feel as natural as the I6 + electric boost in the X5 PHEV.

Final observations:

There is chatter of an NBS SRT leveraging the HO Hurricane engine, not sure if it will be hybrid or not, would be nice if it was for the torque boost, but that would also affect the weight balance a bit with the battery.

The morning I fired it up to take it back, it told me it needed an oil change. With less than 1,000km on it 😬

Apparently, this is common with them (the Jeep PHEV's) when the ICE doesn't get run enough and creates fuel dilution. The ECM "corrects" for this by commanding early oil changes.

I did tether my iPhone and played the same music I play through the HK system in the SRT. I did NOT adjust his equalizer settings (mine are set to flat with surround off) but did turn off surround so that the comparison would be reasonably fair. I think the HK sounds a bit better than the McIntosh setup, at least at the volumes I was listening, but I didn't push it to really give it a go.

The WK2 is definitely the more engaging drive, due in part to the smaller interior and shorter wheelbase. The new platform is more spacious, but you feel that in the larger footprint and it being less nimble. Not a bad thing, just different. If they do make an SRT version, it will be interesting to see how they attempt to make it feel more "sporty".

The WK2 after the 2014 refresh was by far the best JGC ever made, imo. I regret selling mine.

Final observations:

FWIW, when first comparing my 3.6 ‘14 Overland to my 3.6 ‘22 Summit, I also thought the WK2 felt more sporty. The 2-row Summit initially felt a bit ponderous. However, the ‘22 is actually about 300 lbs lighter, has a lower center of gravity, and is less front end heavy. (The Pentastar sits lower and further back.) So, when I threw it around a bit, it was apparent that my initial impression was not correct. Both vehicles have been great but I only have about 10k on the ‘22.

I've thoroughly corrupted my wife; we test drove a WK2 Trailhawk because I thought she'd prefer it and it would be her car after I retire in 11 months. However, we next test drove a JLU and she preferred it over the WK2. .

Back