Test drove a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the high output 3.0L twin turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
I was at the dealer today replacing a lost key fob for the Charger. I was looking at the Grand Wagoneer in the showroom with the new twin turbo 3.0L straight six Hurricane engine. You can't see much of the engine because the engine bay is so full of plumbing and covers. The sales guy asked me if I wanted to drive one. I told him upfront that I won't buy one, but it was slow and he said fine, let's go for a ride. The sticker on the one in the picture is $103,000 and sticker the one I drove was $107,000. Seriously.

I didn't pay attention to much other than experiencing the 510 HP and 500lb/ft torque. The inside is nice and the fit and finish seem to be pretty good. The ECM is clearly programmed for fuel economy, because if you drive it like I normally drive (slow), with a weight of 7,700 pounds, it's a bit sluggish. If you accelerate hard the turbos light this thing on fire! The acceleration is freakish for a heavy vehicle and I stopped way short of redline, because we were well on our way to a traffic award being two blocks from the police station. There is no way the Hemi V8 could keep up with this 3.0L.

I have read that this engine is one of the highest combustion chamber pressure production engines made today. No 0w-16 for this engine.

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

Last edited:
I bet it's fast, but for that price no. I could never rationalize buying this over the cheaper and arguably better escalade or navigator. Especially if it's the short wheelbase version.

Single piston rear calipers would almost be funny, if others safety were not on the line.
More pistons doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll stop quicker. The Escalade V has giant 16.1” front 6 piston Brembo brakes and 13.6” single piston rear Brembo’s and manages to take 2ft longer to stop from 70 than the non V model with “lesser” 4 piston front/single piston rear brakes.

7,700 lbs??? curb or gvwr? I just looked, a new Suburban has a curb weight of 5,600 to 6,100 lbs. My 3500HD 6.6 gas crew cab weighs less.
The curb weight is 6,700 pounds. I asked the sales guy how much it weighs and his answer was 7,700 pounds, which is the gvwr not the curb weight.

Good catch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back