Test drove a $2200 one-eyed Buick today.

2004 Buick Lucerne, 125K miles. The driver's side headlight assembly was broken out and the hood was bent due to a tweaker breaking into the dealership and driving a car thru the showroom wall. On the way out he clipped four cars in the lot, including this one. I went into the dealership with every intention of buying it and attempting a repair myself, and after examining it in person I was convinced I could do it. Then I took it on a test drive.

The first annoyance was that the headliner was sagging and rubbing against the top of my head, but that's nothing a couple of magnets can't fix. Unfortunately after about a block I glanced down to check my speed and that's when I noticed the speedometer and tach weren't working. I assume the fuel gauge wasn't either because it was well below empty. Oddly enough the temp gauge was dead in the middle. I did a loop around the block and asked the salesman if they might be willing to check out the gauge cluster for something simple like fuses or a disconnected wire. And then the beeping began and the red light appeared on the dash. It turns out that the temp gauge actually did work and was now completely pinned on H with a red light beside it.

I shut it off, lifted the hood and determined the electric fan was running. You could hear the coolant gurgling thru the hoses. I thought the salesman started to remove the radiator cap but I cautioned him. He said he was checking to see if it felt hot and apparently it didn't, so maybe the issue is just a stuck thermostat.

I told him I still might be interested if the issue with the gauges and he overheating can be resolved. He said he would try to get a tech to check it out, but so far he hasn't called. We shall see...

Which goes to prove it's hard to find a beater under $5,000.00 that's anywhere near servicable.

Which goes to prove it's hard to find a beater under $5,000.00 that's anywhere near servicable.
Maybe not. I also drove a 2012 Mazda 5 with 143K miles today that seemed to be mechanically sound with the only visible flaws some bad paint and fading plastic. The guy is asking $3995 and I'm considering it.

But I must say the roominess and smooth ride of the Buick sure were seductive...

I wouldn't buy it. $2200 is too much basically for a 20 year old car with body damage and mechanical problems. The dealer is not going to fix it, don't expect to hear from him and likely will send it out for auction somewhere.The transmission is weak to begin with and likely is on its way out as well.

Maybe not. I also drove a 2012 Mazda 5 with 143K miles today that seemed to be mechanically sound with the only visible flaws some bad paint and fading plastic. The guy is asking $3995 and I'm considering it.

But I must say the roominess and smooth ride of the Buick sure were seductive...

They are very rare-serviceable vehicles under $5,000.00 in these current days.
If you can find one great. Bad paint and fading plastic is a definition of a beater....isn't it?

They already got the insurance payout. Anything from you would be gravy.

The cluster issue is from low-lead solder joints failing. Which ones? Good question.

2004 Buick Lucerne, 125K miles. The driver's side headlight assembly was broken out and the hood was bent due to a tweaker breaking into the dealership and driving a car thru the showroom wall. On the way out he clipped four cars in the lot, including this one. I went into the dealership with every intention of buying it and attempting a repair myself, and after examining it in person I was convinced I could do it. Then I took it on a test drive.

The first annoyance was that the headliner was sagging and rubbing against the top of my head, but that's nothing a couple of magnets can't fix. Unfortunately after about a block I glanced down to check my speed and that's when I noticed the speedometer and tach weren't working. I assume the fuel gauge wasn't either because it was well below empty. Oddly enough the temp gauge was dead in the middle. I did a loop around the block and asked the salesman if they might be willing to check out the gauge cluster for something simple like fuses or a disconnected wire. And then the beeping began and the red light appeared on the dash. It turns out that the temp gauge actually did work and was now completely pinned on H with a red light beside it.

I shut it off, lifted the hood and determined the electric fan was running. You could hear the coolant gurgling thru the hoses. I thought the salesman started to remove the radiator cap but I cautioned him. He said he was checking to see if it felt hot and apparently it didn't, so maybe the issue is just a stuck thermostat.

I told him I still might be interested if the issue with the gauges and he overheating can be resolved. He said he would try to get a tech to check it out, but so far he hasn't called. We shall see...
Unreal-that's a U-Pull & Pay special! There's PLENTY of good ones of those around-that's NOT one of them! $2200?? Worth more like $350-400 scrap value.

I wouldn't buy it. $2200 is too much basically for a 20 year old car with body damage and mechanical problems. The dealer is not going to fix it, don't expect to hear from him and likely will send it out for auction somewhere.The transmission is weak to begin with and likely is on its way out as well.
It was a customer car that was on the lot for a transmission replacement, so it comes with a new (used) transmission. When it was damaged they just waived her bill and bought the car from her, presumably using part of their insurance payoff.

Maybe the "tweaker" who drove through their dealership was a disgruntled customer. :LOL:
The story is that the guy had just broken into the McDonalds across the street and then decided he wanted a new ride To escape with.

If it's worth the cost & hastle go ahead. The dealer doesn't want to mess with it anymore.

Last edited:
Crazy. I sold a 2006 with 77k for $3k last year. I only had one person come look at it. It did have a leaking intake manifold gasket though.

9EB264EC-F22B-4EA2-874D-996DAFBDB4A2.jpg

$200 for headlight and bumper at the junkyard if you're lucky to find the same color. Add $300 for paint if not. But what if the headgaskets are gone? People don't usually trade in a good running car.

They are very rare-serviceable vehicles under $5,000.00 in these current days.
If you can find one great. Bad paint and fading plastic is a definition of a beater....isn't it?
Would love to get anywhere near $5k for my clean low mileage Grand Am.

Back