Test drove a Mitsubishi Mirage

Seeing that the 2024 model year will be the last of the Mitsubishi Mirage here in the US, I went out to one of my three local Mitsubishi dealers to test drive the Mirage. After doing some online research about the car before hand, this little thing has a cult like following and the 1.2L three cylinder is pretty much bulletproof. The car has been out since 2012, so all the small problems should of been worked out a long time ago. I watched maintenance videos on the tube and everything is super simple, including dropping the CVT pan.
The car only has 78hp, so it’s slowwww. I have my 136hp R1250 GSA if I want to go fast. I ride my bike most of the year but need a car for the raining months here in the PNW. I like the SE trim because it has full LED lights, front and rear, heated seats, push button start, spare tire, and a few safety features the lower trims don’t have. The SE trim is about $1500 higher then the lower trims. MSRP is a little over $20K. I like the plaid seats on the SE also. The hard part is locating a SE trim, since most dealers stock the lower ES trim. A competitor to the SE would be the Nissan Versa SR at $22,000. The SR Versa also has LED headlights and heated seats.

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0296.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

20K nope, NEVER Automatic? NEVER.

14k and a 5-speed stick, might briefly think about it.
I only paid $16, 900 out the door for a brand new AWD CUV with AC PW PDl, 6 speaker stereo, BTW, RWW, 6 speed auto. 2 litre Ford/mazda engine
Alloys.
How long ago was this?

How long ago was this?
About 2 years ago. No one was buying Ecosports. I didnt know they came in the 4 cyl non tirbo form - then I became interested, They were made by Mhindra in India, powertrain from Cleveland. Was looking at a Mustang GT stick. in the showroom, Mid epidemic - crickets at the dealer. Mustang looked cheap and junky. So off I wandered onto the back lot. Ford had a $3500 rebate at the time and I negotiated another $1500 off.

Good market timing.

I say better off with a used Honda Fit or Yaris than this mirage.

About 2 years ago. No one was buying Ecosports. I didnt know they came in the 4 cyl non tirbo form - then I became interested, They were made by Mhindra in India, powertrain from Cleveland. Was looking at a Mustang GT stick. in the showroom, Mid epidemic - crickets at the dealer. Mustang looked cheap and junky. So off I wandered onto the back lot. Ford had a $3500 rebate at the time and I negotiated another $1500 off.

Good market timing.

I say better off with a used Honda Fit or Yaris than this mirage.
Better in what way?

I drove one with a 5-speed a few years ago. Absolutely loved that little nugget! And the 1.2L sounds angry with the manual. An intake and exhaust would amplify it even better, without sounding ricey.
I'd daily it. Two wheels for the sunny days, and efficient Mirage for the rainy ones. Perfect.
Although I will say that new Versa with a manual does look like a better option.

I remember having these as rentals. Was hard not to get 50mpg. And yes you could get the tire to spin a little in the cvt if you were turning and giving gas.

OP, I completely understand your interest in this vehicle. In your situation, i also understand not wanting anything else (for the price, as a new car). As you've said, very easy to work on, incredibly reliable and the convenience of being a hatchback.

I like the Ralliart package even though it's only for show.

Those Mirages were advertised at around $12k new pre COVID days. I guess what hasn't seemingly doubled in price these days.

Great little car for that money. For $22k?? I'd go with something else.
Yeah, a nearly new Corolla/Civic is that price. I suspect the Mirages will have some decent discounts on them eventually, $22k must have some fat in there given the pre-covid prices...

I bought one cheap and flipped it last year and it definitely is a bare bones simple car - BUT still had features I was not expecting like actually having auto climate control and power windows/locks etc. The door panels were a single blow mold plastic piece but at the price point you can't pick it apart. I remember it drove very well and the young girl who bought it is still happy with it.

Back