2017 VW Jetta SE mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Last time I looked at a Jetta must have been around 2009...
It was just a bit too tight inside for my very large frame.. chest width, no gut...

I was very impressed as all doors and the trunk shut with bank vault solidity.
Awesome. Are they still like that now?

You looked at a MK5. 2010 was the last year for the MK5, which was a real Euro VW.

The MK6 was a major cost-cutting exercise for VW. It's a cheapened model aimed at the US and China. They made it worse in every way except back seat size. Cheap interior, outdated 2.0 engine brought out of retirement for low-end models, less advanced suspension on most examples.

The MK6 was pretty bad when released in 2011, but they've done a pretty good job of polishing that turd. They've finally updated the engine and suspension on even the low-end ones (I think). The interior is still pretty lame, however.

The next Jetta will be on the MQB platform and should be a lot better, but it's still a ways out for us.

Its not all bad, like you said in 2014 they upgraded to fully independent suspension and replaced the 2.5 in mid to higher trim models with the 1.8 TSI. I hear a lot of people complaining about the hard plastic interior, I get that...but understand your getting a sub $20,000 car with a great engine and superior driving dynamics compared to others in its class, its also loaded with features. They had to cut costs somewhere and they did that with the hard plastics. Having said that, the plastics hold up VERY well and everything is screwed together nicely. This paired with the leatherette seating should keep the interior looking new for years.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Nick1994 comes into every VW post on here to spew negativity. He's leaving out that he's tall

What negativity did I spew? I asked how the comfort was. All I said was the one I sat in the front seat was small and I hit my head getting in and out of it. I'm all but I'm not that tall. The Jetta's competitor is the Cruze, which I considered buying. The Cruze did not have a low roof line where I hit my head.

The most spacious car I have EVER sat in was my VW Beetle TDI.

So what was the negative spew?

I should look up a dealer I met a few years ago in PA. If you want their name PM me.
I was buying for my mother and they offered to deliver the car about 60 miles for $50 and beat TrueCar
by many 1,000's.. I have the info on an old email account.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Thanks Guys
The old ones had the Mercedes feel. I always wanted a VW but get scared off. Plus then I had one dealer in a 50 mile
radius and their reputation was- well you know. Back then you either paid full sticker or went home- sort of like the early Honda years.

That's why I'm having to drive down to Virginia to look at a couple cars. They are the only dealer to give me an OTD price over the internet. There's one closer in Gaithersburg, MD, but their reputation is meh. Driving 2.5 hours to save 7K in my book is ok. The local dealership is even more laughable.

I had a '16 Jetta as a rental while some collision repair was being done...excellent highway car but I just can't imagine living with leatherette seats...gimme some NICE cloth for the Sport or SE trim level and I'd be all over it. The S level has cloth but I want more features than that and I'm too tight-fisted to spring for an SEL with leather.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I had a '16 Jetta as a rental while some collision repair was being done...excellent highway car but I just can't imagine living with leatherette seats...gimme some NICE cloth for the Sport or SE trim level and I'd be all over it. The S level has cloth but I want more features than that and I'm too tight-fisted to spring for an SEL with leather.

What don't you like about the leatherette? SEL models are also equipped with leatherette, no leather for the current Jetta.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I am glad the 2014 in my sig has the 1.8 TSI, it certainly feels more potent and IMO allows the car to feel a class above what it is.

Thanks for that point in particular. The 1.8 is one reason why I'm interested in a Golf.

Originally Posted By: hillclimber
I am glad the 2014 in my sig has the 1.8 TSI, it certainly feels more potent and IMO allows the car to feel a class above what it is.

Thanks for that point in particular. The 1.8 is one reason why I'm interested in a Golf.

You can still get the 1.8t Sport and SEL, and of course the 2.0 in the GLI

http://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/vehicle...-va-id-16478703

I have been looking at Passats too...I guess the Passat SEL is the one with leather seats.

My issue with leatherette/VTex/pleather is just that I really prefer seats that breathe a little...I hate getting hot in the summer, and sticking to the seats. I feel like we're back to the 60s, where vinyl was the norm...I'd rather go back to the 70s, where velour was the norm...

I haven't driven a newer Jetta, but I'm impressed with my friend's 2010 Jetta with the 2.5L. It has over 200k miles, still drives/shifts perfect, and I love the combos you can get. His is the manual trans with leather, sunroof, heated seats, blue tooth, etc. I mean I like Hondas, but try finding a Honda civic with leather and a manual. Virtually impossible.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: hillclimber

You can still get the 1.8t Sport and SEL, and of course the 2.0 in the GLI

http://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/vehicle...-va-id-16478703

I knew about the SEL and GLI but not the Sport. Not bad looking.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I have been looking at Passats too...I guess the Passat SEL is the one with leather seats.

My issue with leatherette/VTex/pleather is just that I really prefer seats that breathe a little...I hate getting hot in the summer, and sticking to the seats. I feel like we're back to the 60s, where vinyl was the norm...I'd rather go back to the 70s, where velour was the norm...

I have my heart set on a Passat R-line if finances will cooperate. They have leatherette, seemed very nice when I drove one, much classier than an S model. The S models I looked at reminded me of a rental Camry.

Current Vinyl is actually very good, MBtex has long had a reputation for holding up better then real leather. With the more environmentally friendly tanning processes I think leather is even less durable and buying leather you are still getting a good bit of vinyl unless you are buying pretty high dollar cars. I was in an E300 (a new one) just the other day with MBtex and I bet 95% of people would never know the difference, VTex isn’t quite that good, but still...

I wish there was more synthetic leather available...

A little update, VW had to keep the Jetta for longer than expected so we had the loaner for a couple extra days. A couple other things I noticed, it seems quieter compared to the 2014. Maybe VW added more sound deadening material? We were driving along yesterday and both remarked how quiet the ride was. We also noticed how smooth it drove, maybe the extra time allowed the software to adapt to the new driver. Whatever the reason, the transmission was shifting where it should be (around 2000 rpm or so, compared to the 3000 RPM when we received it) allowing for a more pleasant experience. All in all I am very impressed with the current Jetta SE equipped with the 1.4 TSI. Bravo VW!

Maybe it's because of the new tires vs the older OEM ones on the 2014?

My aunt's 2013 VW Beetle was dreadful to drive with the OEM tires after 10k miles or so, they were so noisy. It sounded like it had tires made of concrete, like the Flinstone mobile. A new set of Pirellis fixed that.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe it's because of the new tires vs the older OEM ones on the 2014?

My aunt's 2013 VW Beetle was dreadful to drive with the OEM tires after 10k miles or so, they were so noisy. It sounded like it had tires made of concrete, like the Flinstone mobile. A new set of Pirellis fixed that.

The tires may play a part. The engine was more muted in the 2017 than the 2014 also. Maybe this is due to more sound deafening, or maybe the 1.4 is just a quieter engine. Although the 1.8 TSI has a nice growl that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back