VW Jetta MKVI vs MKVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother in law recently got a new 2019 VW Jetta SE. I was able to give it it's first wash / detail today, and also was able to spend some time behind the wheel. We own a 2014 Jetta SE so it was interesting to compare the old vs new. The 2019 model year is new from the ground up and rides on VW's praised MQB platform. Of course as with most new models it has plenty of upgrades, though mainly in the tech department.

Notable upgrades include apple car play / android auto, "panoramic" sunroof, keyless entry, led headlights, standard alloy wheels, blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning, radar cruise control, and electronic parking brake. It also has start stop, I just don't consider that an upgraded feature.

Other highlights include a quieter ride, better steering response, soft touch dash and other materials, and STELLAR fuel economy (you easily achieve the rated 30 MPG city / 40 MPG highway.

Some negatives would be the torsion beam rear suspension set up, less precise handling, and down on power compared to the 1.8T thats in our 2014 SE.

I could go on and on with the details, but my main take away is that the 2019 does have more features than the previous generation MKVI Jetta and boasts excellent fuel economy numbers. However I think VW did put their money into the tech features but had to cut costs in other areas to achieve this package. The new generation feels a little less solid than the MKVI overall, not hardly chintzy but cost cutting shows here and there. Also, I was surprised how it handled vs our 2014. Usually handling is something that improves as the years go on, not so in this case. Most buyers will not notice and will appreciate the upgrades I'm sure. I feel VW did a good job with this new Jetta and IMO it deserves a hard look if your shopping in the compact class. This short post was just for me to share some thoughts since we have both the MKVI and MKVII in our family.

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

The one thing I don't care for in my 17 Jetta vs the 12 Jetta is the steering is a lot lighter. I feel shakes and bumps a lot easier. The 17 uses electric steering while the 12 is hydraulic. Also tire size on the 17 is 205-55-16 while the 12 is 195-65-15. So im guessing one of those changes is why it feels different. Also the 12 has a torsion beam while the 17 is independent, I for one cannot tell a difference. Except for I can no longer jack up on the back axle!
smirk.gif

The 2019s have such a good looking interior
20.gif
, especially for the compact car market.

Also you should not complain about HP! The 1.4T replaced the 2.Slow. The 1.4 feels like a rocket ship compared to the 2.0.
19.gif
The 150 HP seems to be a nice amount of power for car.

Good looking car, much better styling than the MKVI IMO.

Did you feel any weird transmission stuff when driving it?

Originally Posted by gregk24
I feel VW did a good job with this new Jetta and IMO it deserves a hard look if your shopping in the compact class.

You mean with a manual transmission?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Good looking car, much better styling than the MKVI IMO.

Did you feel any weird transmission stuff when driving it?

I feel VW did a good job with this new Jetta and IMO it deserves a hard look if your shopping in the compact class.

You mean with a manual transmission?

Yes, it made some light clunking noises when coming to a stop, and shifted constantly (8 speeds). It also makes the grinding noise that most if not all exhibit. Although after driving it I'm not so sure it is truly a problem. I think at this point it may very well be just a characteristic as VW claims (I know, I know). Upon further research it may be using a clutch type torque converter vs the traditional fluid filled kind. This may be why it has the noise during partial lock up, at least thats what I have read. Time will tell I suppose.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
The one thing I don't care for in my 17 Jetta vs the 12 Jetta is the steering is a lot lighter. I feel shakes and bumps a lot easier. The 17 uses electric steering while the 12 is hydraulic. Also tire size on the 17 is 205-55-16 while the 12 is 195-65-15. So im guessing one of those changes is why it feels different. Also the 12 has a torsion beam while the 17 is independent, I for one cannot tell a difference. Except for I can no longer jack up on the back axle!
smirk.gif

The 2019s have such a good looking interior
20.gif
, especially for the compact car market.

Also you should not complain about HP! The 1.4T replaced the 2.Slow. The 1.4 feels like a rocket ship compared to the 2.0.
19.gif
The 150 HP seems to be a nice amount of power for car.

I'm not really complaining, we are just used to the power the 1.8T provides in our 2014. You CAN really tell a difference, contrary to what some say. Must more peppy off the line and more power up top also.

Personally I think VW realized building sport oriented suspension/ride/motors and upper end interior cars for the American market did not translate to a lot of sales hold the incredible GTI and Golf R.

Offer a ton of tech and done really well, quiet larger interior, decent MPG, and good ride (more) American's will buy it. They roped my wife into a 2018 VW Tiguan which has the "cheapening" however at same time for the price paid $26.5k offers a ton features, tech, safety etc, nice quiet and smooth ride. Oddly it is capable off road in the one place we accidentally took it, grass parking lot with hill out turned soggy mud bath so we drove the steepest part possible to get around all the other cars spinning away including other CUV's. My wife was excited to click the "off road mode" on which disables the skid/traction control at least and no idea what else besides a cool graphic in the 8" touch screen of Tiguan with mud on it.

Last edited:
It also has start stop, I just don't consider that an upgraded feature.

I have that in my Hybrid and is one of my favorite features. Total silence when you are at stop light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back