Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?

I'm aware of that, Dave. However I don't think that would prevent Volkswagen, BMW or MB
from buying oil from smaller companies if they meet the price point for the required quantity.
- provided of course the product meets the approvals in question. Shell, BP/Castrol and Exxon-
Mobil commonly do it cheaper. Afton, Lubrizol and Vanderbilt make it 'easy' blending oils, but
the big ones are still in an (production cost) advantage since they have their own ressources
and even (co-)own add producers.

Yes, but even many smaller blenders are able to meet Porsche A40, C30 and C40.
They just cannot make it that cheap as the biggies can.

I'll throw in "Fuel Save".
Yes they are able. But they are not even close in R&D. VW contracts various blenders depending on the market. So, LukOil blends oil for VW in Russia. But Porsche, MB, BMW etc. have contracts that include R&D, racing etc. I worked for blender that is in business much longer than Liqui Moly or similar companies. Actually that company supplies base stocks to Castrol etc. But we couldn’t come close to what Castrol was providing to at that time BMW, VW etc.

No doubt M1 and Castrol and massive R&D budgets and can easily meet the demands of the OEs vs. a smaller outfit like LM/others. No suprise that's who they use.

No doubt M1 and Castrol and massive R&D budgets and can easily meet the demands of the OEs vs. a smaller outfit like LM/others. No suprise that's who they use.
Which begs the question why paying for LM etc. which are always step or several steps behind? That is the point of this conversation that always pops out.

Which begs the question why paying for LM etc. which are always step or several steps behind? That is the point of this conversation that always pops out.
I understand your comment and my only response is...variety is the spice of life! It's the same with any of the smaller companies like Motul, Ravenol, Amsoil, Pentosin, Redline, etc. that folks like to use vs. the big names.

Maybe smaller companies market more expensive products that have more expensive components, because people who look at those smaller companies when deciding what oil to buy, might be willing to pay more for something with more 'performance'?
The big companies cater mostly to the masses, and the mechanics servicing their cars, who are perhaps more cost/benefit sensitive? Are less performance oriented, etc?
No?

Maybe smaller companies market more expensive products that have more expensive components, because people who look at those smaller companies when deciding what oil to buy, might be willing to pay more for something with more 'performance'?
The big companies cater mostly to the masses, and the mechanics servicing their cars, who are perhaps more cost/benefit sensitive? Are less performance oriented, etc?
No?
I think what edy is commenting on is - if the majors like M1 produce a suprerior product at a lower cost so why use the boutique-ish brands?

I think Mike did answer that question quite sufficiently. Some customers are looking for products
with above standard performance whatever it means. If the boutique brands are actually providing
any gain in performance? That's just another question. Often they certainly do not.
Remember not all "boutique brands" are the same, and the perception what's boutique and what's
not depends on the place you live at. While Castrol, Mobil, Total, Valvoline or Shell are probably
nowhere perceived as exotic brands, Redline/Amsoil/Royal Purple/Penrite/Nulon are certainly highly
boutiqueish in Europe, as well as Fuchs, Rowe, Millers, Penrite, Ravenol, Nulon and LM likely are in
the US, and the pricing is reflecting this. Of course there are differences - Fuchs isn't dame as Nulon.
For exoticism alone I wouldn't pay a single cent. What makes Ravenol appealing to me is, they come
with the approvals I need (and some more approvals for added confidence) along with base oils, add
packs and performance data (I know paper doesn't blush) I do estimate as being beneficial. That uses
to come at a price, but I'm willing to pay for it. If Ravenol wouldn't exist I'd likely run M1 in all of my
cars, but I find ultra-low pourpoints and Noack losses as well as high flashpoints tremendously enticing.

Last edited:
I understand your comment and my only response is...variety is the spice of life! It's the same with any of the smaller companies like Motul, Ravenol, Amsoil, Pentosin, Redline, etc. that folks like to use vs. the big names.
It is not same with Motul, Pentosin. Those are old companies, far and beyond anything LM can offer.

It is not same with Motul, Pentosin. Those are old companies, far and beyond anything LM can offer.

Don't underestimate LM. Some time ago LM started a new range of gear oils.
I didn't try any of them yet, but they do look quite promising on paper at least.
If Castrol Syntrans V-FE/Transmax V wouldn't feel that great in my 02Q gearbox
and I wouldn't have two bottles of VW G 052 527 sitting in my garage for some
time I'd give LM a try.

I didn't try any of them yet, but they do look quite promising on paper at least.
time I'd give LM a try.

most owners in Europe turn to LM products like engine flush and gears, motul too...not because they are better but because behind there is the power of promotion and profit for the shops..motul is gaining ore and more on brake fluids also..people like said need variety and want to experiment..just like tyres..you are satisfied with your tyres but you always try sthng new ,for the same reason..friends and shop owenrs have a great impact on that too..like many times i have said on this forum people are commercial consumers and they develop an unneeded curiosity on buying new things , not necessary better but different because we feel better when we different from the others ..companies know that..

time I'd give LM a try.

Sure, a lot of small companies launch product now and then that is good. But, comparing Pentosin and especially Motul with LM is lacking seriousness.

They aren't being offered as OE was my point.
Pentosin makes numerous OE products. Pentosin was/still is blending transmission fluids for ZF, MB,VW etc. 90% of hydraulic steering systems in the world comes with Pentosin CHF-11s. They make oil for European arm of VW and are biggest brake fluid supplier for European companies. Motul is more specific oil blender that was heavily invested in racing on same level as Mobil1 etc. are. It is still most common go to racing oil for a reason.

Back