Mobil 1 Zinc and Phosphorous levels guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 has a link showing Zinc, Phosphorous and Manufacturer approvals in a nice table, linked below. Interestingly, the 0w20 offerings in the various flavours, with two exceptions ( M1 EP HM 0w20 and M1 HM 0w20 ), have lower PP and ZN levels than the other grades, including 5w20's.

Wonder why ? Are they using something else in these 0w20's ?

And, the motorcycle and racing lines have much higher levels of both, with more than double the amounts in the racing oils.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Formulations are developed using a precise balance of additives. It's chemistry. This is why I don't like mixing brands, although it is harmless for the most part. I think some have the tendency to think "more is better" or that they just throw these additives in the bottle and you're good to go. To your question, I don't know the answer. I do know the 0w20's have more PAO in them.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Mobil 1 has a link showing Zinc, Phosphorous and Manufacturer approvals in a nice table, linked below. Interestingly, the 0w20 offerings in the various flavours, with two exceptions ( M1 EP HM 0w20 and M1 HM 0w20 ), have lower PP and ZN levels than the other grades, including 5w20's.

Wonder why ? Are they using something else in these 0w20's ?...

They are using different AW additives.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by geeman789

Wonder why ? Are they using something else in these 0w20's ?...

They are using different AW additives.

AW?

AW- likely Moly instead of Zn.

But to me, the proof is in the puddin' that Zn is the better AW additive because it goes in all applications where emissions isn't a concern but wear and performance is... whats that tell ya.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
AW- likely Moly instead of Zinc

But to me, the proof is in the puddin' that Zn is the better AW additive because it goes in all applications where emissions isn't a concern but wear and performance is... whats that tell ya.

No argument there, but are current engines wearing out because of current emission friendly lube oils?
I'm looking on Craigslist for cars for my grandchildren and I see a multitude of 150,000-200,000 mile vehicles.
And my own view is that most of the rigs heading for the last roundup (aka Pic a Part) have failed transmissions not engines.

Last edited:

Most all M1 tagged oils have Moly in the 70-80PPM range regardless of Z and P.. Have for a number of years.

Last edited:
Huge international company - still using unmodified excel tables in final consumer facing work product. LOL.

It might tell you quite a bit, especially when you speak with professional engine builders who have torn their fair share of engines apart. A few I spoke with over the years favor higher levels zinc and phosphorus, contrary to what others believe.

Originally Posted by Trav
Check out the 0w40 one of their best Euro oils and good for most other engines also.

Mobil 1 pdf

I didn't realize M1 0/40 came in two formulas, FS and ESP I'd think the FS is more robust for my 'legacy' Toyota engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back