Mixing Group III and Group V Synthetic Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little while ago I stocked up on some NAPA synthetic that was on sale. Recently, when Castrol Edge went on sale I did the same thing - I just couldn't resist the low price and its very promising low temperature flow numbers, it's perfect for where i live!

My question is, is it OK to do a 50/50 blend of the NAPA synthetic (group III) with the Castrol Edge (group V)? I don't want to get rid of the NAPA synthetic, yet I also don't want to use it by itself because I'd like to reap the benefits of having a group V oil in the crankcase. I suppose my main concern would be incompatibility with the seal swelling chemistry of the oils. Both are 5w-30 and I have 65k miles on my Eclipse V6 6g72 engine.

Thanks!!

Use one at a time.

You DO NOT get a super oil when you mix two oils.

All you GET is TWO diluted motor oils.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Use one at a time.

You DO NOT get a super oil when you mix two oils.

All you GET is TWO diluted motor oils.

The intent is not to get a "super oil".
I just was hoping the blend would be safe and allow me 1/2 the potency of the NAPA synthetic and 1/2 the potency of the Edge. I'm not hoping for anything synergistic.

"Think with your dipstick" and use them seperately. They are both good oils and you should be able to go 6 or 7.5K on the NAPA in most applications.

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986
My bird just came back and said Edge is NOT group V, but a group IV. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm pretty sure it's a blend of III and IV at best. Regardless, I don't like mixing just due to the unknown. I'm sure you won't have any issues but why take a chance? FWIW, in my beater commuter '87 Celica I used all of the 1/4-1/2 quarts of different brands leftover oil I could find to make a 4 quart fill. Never had a problem but the car was only worth $500. I wouldn't try in in my current cars.

No mixing, just pure EDGE! Now that's thinking with ya dipstick Jimmy!
43.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back