Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the new Michelin LTX A/T-2 tire on their truck / SUV? I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4x4 with the OEM BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A highway tires (265-70-16). These OEM tires have never been very good in the snow or on ice and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm also considering the Firestone Destination A/T on road/off road tire. Any thoughts on these choices would be appreciated.

I had the original Michelin LTX on my Explorer and replaced them with the BFG Long Trail TA and I like them alot better than the Michelins.

Dad had a set of the 700 Treadwear rated Michelin Cross Terrain tires and I had to apologize to others as he had brakes even when it was 32 and slushy while everyone else was sliding around! Seemed like Snow tires that wore like cast iron.

Made me nervous that we would get hit from someone not being able to stop. Also they were lighter than anything else. He went 60K and still had like the high side of 8/32 left on his 99 Explorer 5.0 AWD.

instead of the BFG rugged trail, try the BFG radial Long trail. I have been running these on my 05 durango without problems. i considered the ltx m/s but they were $60 more per tire----ouch.

I'm running them right now, and so far I'm very impressed. Great all around traction in rain/mud/snow/ice. I got a very good deal-$132/tire for 31x10.5x15's.

I'll have had them on my S10 2yrs in Mar'2010, and should have around 25k on them by then. Wear is also very good and I rotate them every 5k.

Hands down better than the previous sets of BFG AT TA's except for looks.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another set down the road.

I have the Goodrich Long Trails on my Frontier and get around in snow, gravel and rain just fine. For the money, a very good tire!

Firestone Destination A/T FTW!! Ranked #1 on tirerack.com in the A/T category. They absolutely kick a$$ in the snow. I have them on my Jeep and they are amazing on and off road.

Just wanted to add my opinions here. i know that people often talk bad about firestone tires, but i had the firestone destination a/t tires on my old truck and they were an EXCELLENT tire. they had a good ride, and wore like iron, kept a good balance for the 25000 miles i had them before getting rid of the vehicle.
i also have the michelin cross terrain tires on my vehicle now. and it seems like people seem to keep hawking them on this board. i personally dont like them.. i dont have a confidence in them like the other tires. due to the seemingly wide gaps inbetween the tread block which i know is for water to escape, but there tread is also solid on the outside so water cannot escape. personally i think this is not a good design and would recommend any other michelin than this.

good luck with your research..... remember tires are an important purchase as they directly effect all aspect of your driving. take your time and research research research....

MERRY NEW YEAR

LTX M/S, or you could be our test pilot for the LTX M/S2's
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Youthere

i also have the michelin cross terrain tires on my vehicle now. and it seems like people seem to keep hawking them on this board. i personally dont like them.. i dont have a confidence in them like the other tires. due to the seemingly wide gaps inbetween the tread block which i know is for water to escape, but there tread is also solid on the outside so water cannot escape. personally i think this is not a good design and would recommend any other michelin than this.

+1 They are the factory installed tire on our 08 Envoy and they are helpless. The 06 Envoy had the Goodyear Forterra's and they seemed to be a much better tire.

PS. I am not promoting GY tires, personaly, I will NEVER buy another GY, but they were much better than the Michelins IMO.

I like Michelin's, they balance better, they wear slower, and they are usually a lighter tire.......

that being said you have other attributes that make a tire good..... like grip, noise, price......

If your looking for awesome snow grip just bypass these girly tires all together and pick up some Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials or Goodyear MT/R's.............

A/T's are just a waiste of time if you truly want off road/snow grip........

The M/S's are actually very good in snow. I have a LOT of experience with them in this regard. I've never used the A/T's.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
I like Michelin's, they balance better, they wear slower, and they are usually a lighter tire.......

that being said you have other attributes that make a tire good..... like grip, noise, price......

If your looking for awesome snow grip just bypass these girly tires all together and pick up some Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials or Goodyear MT/R's.............

A/T's are just a waiste of time if you truly want off road/snow grip........
Unless they're BFG Commercial T/A Traction w/STUDS like the ones that I have on my Sierra!

If you're looking for a mainly street tire that can do OK offroad occasionally, then add another 2 recommendations for BFG Long Trail T/A from me. Note the Long Trail T/A is NOT the same tire as the Radial Long Trail! The Radial Long Trail is an OEM tire, The Long Trail T/A is (putting words in BFG's mouth perhaps) the tire they'd rather build. Its got a higher speed rating, longer treadwear, and isn't directional with that oddball nearly solid tread block on one side.

I put them on my Cherokee, and it was a night to day transformation over the Pathfinders (admittedly [censored]) and Goodyears its had before.

My dad had always used Michelin LTX M/S tires on his Durango, but this last time decided to try the Long Trails. They're every bit as good as the LTX M/S in terms of ride, grip quiet, and handling, significantly cheaper, have a higher speed rating, and a longer treadwear rating.

If you're looking for more of an offroad tire, then the All Terrain T/A is a step up from the Rugged Trail, or go with Bridgestone Duellers.

Originally Posted By: Youthere

Who on this board is hawking the Cross Terrains?

21.gif

(I have LTX's)

i went a couple weeks ago to discount tire to replace the bfg long trail T/A and was told they are now only selling the TOURING long trail T/A. they still have the same lettering and everything, but the tread is more like a passenger car tread---less side lugs, more channels and siping. they seem to be quieter and also have a mileage warranty whereas before i think it was only a high mileage rating. So far I like them more than the previous model

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/bf_goodrich/size/viewProductDetail.do?pc=38798

I have the original LTX A/T on my truck. They're not too great off-road but they're pretty quiet on the road. Kind of a compromise more towards road-friendly. I suspect the A/T2 will be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back