Michelin CrossClimate2 Installed

Depends on where in California one lives.

Thanks for the review Critic.

Been wondering about these, living in the mountains I cross the snow line every day in the winter.

My excellent Firestone Destination LE-2's are getting thing and its time to think about it.

I was looking at these for my wife's 2019 RX 350 which ate through the OEM tires in 25k miles even though alignment is fine and they were rotated every 5k miles. Everything I've read online says they perform well and have good tread life - anyone read anything different?
Rolling resistance is a sore point on this design. I would expect a 10% drop in fuel economy, but possibly more.

Lots of people have put these on Rav 4 Primes. In general, they say they are quieter than stock, and in EV mode only give up 1-3 miles of range, if that. I refuse to have trash OEM tires on my vehicles, so I am putting CC2's on my Rav 4 Prime before I take delivery, and will have more to say about it, then.

So far I have used:

Nokian WRG3 SUV: Total trash. Nothing good. Horrible tire in all the ways (wear, noise, traction in all conditions is trash except ice and snow, which is okay for an all season, but not outstanding).

CrossContact LX20: Good tire. Checks all boxes

CrossContact LX25: Same as LX20, except better.

Destination LE2: Good in the dry, scary on wet surfaces, but good at not hydroplaning, just no traction. Snow and ice is somewhat ok for an allseason.

Altimax RT43: Very good tire, similar to the LX20, but a hair noisier. Maybe better traction all around though, slightly.

I love my CrossClimate+ set. They have about 40K on them, and are still the best tires I have ever had on a car. There is some low speed tread growl, and they are a little noisy on certain surfaces over 75 mph, but ultimately that is a sacrifice I am more than willing to take for the superior grip in nearly every situation. We are planning on buying a set for the 14.5 Camry.

There is more to California than LA. Like the mountains around it.
One can travel all 4 seasons taking the cable car from Palm Springs to San Jacinto.

If one lives in higher elevations one may be the poster child for a real all season tire (like 3MPSF rated all seasons) as all seasons may be experienced in single, not really long, drive.

Krzyś

I wouldn't consider them overkill. Dry braking and handling is great. They ride well and are quiet enough in my experience. Treadwear has been good, too. If there is the odd chance of rain, these tires perform great. Again, I prefer knowing the tire is up to the task. I specifically chose against the Defender T+H because of lack of wet grip.

Got the new AltiMax 365 and am really impressed. VERY quiet and seems to coast better than my last AltiMax RT43’s. Will enjoy the better snow traction….although the RT43’s impressed me for 60+miles.

I got the Michelin Crossclimate2 tires installed on my 2018 Subaru Forester. Only been about two weeks ago and have about 700 miles on them, so far.

My impression on them at this point is great! Quiet, good ride and dry braking is good. The tread is funky looking, so I get questions about them at work. Happy to answer them because people who notice that, are car folks as well.

Have not driven them in rain or snow yet, so no comments there. I expect them to do well. Much as I dislike the thought, my answer to that will be coming sooner than I like, living in Iowa! :unsure:

You do realize, it does snow in California and California has ski resorts close to the big cities.
I was born and raised in California. I stand by my statement. I always get but they may be going skiing, yeah maybe once in the winter. Those tires are overkill for California.

Back