Tire Recommendation for ES350 Grocery Getter

CC2 is good in snow but wet traction is not good as other tires.

If you are not getting a lot of snow I wouldn't go for CC2

These are the videos why I thought it wasn't so good in the wet. To be fair the performance is not bad. It's just not the best in that category.

These are the videos why I thought it wasn't so good in the wet. To be fair the performance is not bad. It's just not the best in that category.

The thing that is more important is retention of original performance. Michelin is really good at that. I think someone posted once here CR long term test of tires where Michelin had absolute advantage in retention while Yokohama was the worst. It is hard to conduct those tests obviously bcs. cost.
I personally don’t like those “all” tires. They are jack of all trades. To gain something you have to give up something else. So, where is correct balance? Tricky proposition.

Why not the Costco Michelin x-tour A/S-2? Yes TireRack doesn’t like the defender 2 on a wet track.
Costco would not have been able to accommodate the treadwear claim. Also, Defender2 does not come in the OE speed rating for this application (V).

View attachment 144983

MIL’s 13 ES350 (215/55-17) will need new tires in the next 5-10K miles.

The current set of Michelin Premier A/S have been in-service for 5 years and 28K. They are between 4/32” and 4.5/32” remaining - rotated every 5K.

Service life really isn’t a concern. I prefer to replace tires every 5-6 years and she will only drive 30-35K during this timespan. Wet traction and ride quality are the main focus.

Cost isn’t a concern since I will likely receive a generous prorate credit on the current set.
Kumho LX platinum from Walmart on line great budget tires really good price. I have the same size on my beater extremely happy. I think there about $75 each now

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 5
I personally don’t like those “all” tires. They are jack of all trades. To gain something you have to give up something else. So, where is correct balance? Tricky proposition.

Of course you can't have everything and you choose based on what is best suited for you.

To me you buy the CC2 when:
1) You don't want to have separate summer and winter tires. CC2 is a lot better than using all-season in the winter.
2) You only get light snow but are still concerned about winter performance.

Of course you can't have everything and you choose based on what is best suited for you.

To me you buy the CC2 when:
1) You don't want to have separate summer and winter tires. CC2 is a lot better than using all-season in the winter.
2) You only get light snow but are still concerned about winter performance.
True. It is balance. Depends a lot on geographical location. However, generally people buy all weather tires bcs. wishful thinking. Colorado is good example.

You planning on driving 150 mph for sustained periods?
The V-rated tires have construction features that will generally support the handling characteristics that the OEM expected. It is a serious liability to recommend and install tires that do not meet the OE requirements; there is a reason why larger chains adhere to the OE speed ratings without exceptions.

The V-rated tires have construction features that will generally support the handling characteristics that the OEM expected. It is a serious liability to recommend and install tires that do not meet the OE requirements; there is a reason why larger chains adhere to the OE speed ratings without exceptions.
You should check your tire size/pressure label on your door-jam. Chances are, there is no speed rating requirement.

My Highlander came with V-speed rating tires BUT.... the tire sticker on the door jam doesn't list a minimum speed rating for the tires (unlike my VW's that did specify a speed rating)

Construction only matters if you drop down to a T-rating or lower, where a cap play is not required for a T-rating. H-speed and higher tends to have the cap ply to attain the speed rating and the safety associated with the Cap Ply.

Lexus/Toyota choose specific tires that match their design goals for ride, noise, comfort, and so-so handling and the 2013 Lexus glorified Camry isn't designed to be a German sports sedan, so it has tires from the factory specifically to provide a comfortable and quiet ride.

Absolutely irrelevant. I personally would go whatever they have as long as load index is matching original or higher.

We went with a very similar tread to the video shot. It's a 3-peak-snowflake rated tire, the Vredestein Quatrac. We had to order it now for the rebate (from in-stock). This is for an older Miata, 195-50-15. Tire Rack has the H rated tire in stock, but the V rated tire is back ordered. The lower speed rating is OEM to the car. And we got the rebate which matches the price of the lesser tires, that DO NOT have the semi-winter tire rating. We want it to serve as a good commuter car, sooner or later to be in the grandkid's hands.

**now that I watched the video, it's one of the tested tires. Lauded for being good in the wet.

Last edited:
Back