Time for new tires?

The OEM Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on our Explorer are getting close to replacement time. They will be 8 years old by the time spring rolls around next year. I run dedicated winter tires, so I’m not concerned how they’ll perform this coming winter; they’re not used in the cold. Currently the front tires have around 6/32 tread, and the rears have about 5/32. They have the typical Michelin cracking happening on the exterior, but otherwise drive smooth and handle great. Fwiw, I have no idea how many miles the tires actually have on them, since the vehicle always has winter tires during the cold season and we didn’t keep track of the mileage. Vehicle has 57k miles currently. Trying to get another year out of these… what say you? Asking now because I have a chance to get a really good deal currently on a set of tires and sit on them until spring.

It is never wise to buy new tires and sit on them for 8-9 months. Anything could happen to you or your vehicle and the tires will be useless or need to be sold for a loss. I’ve done it with good success but I don’t recommend it. I’d run your current tires another year since you have winter tires also.

Last edited:
The OEM Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on our Explorer are getting close to replacement time. They will be 8 years old by the time spring rolls around next year. I run dedicated winter tires, so I’m not concerned how they’ll perform this coming winter; they’re not used in the cold. Currently the front tires have around 6/32 tread, and the rears have about 5/32. They have the typical Michelin cracking happening on the exterior, but otherwise drive smooth and handle great. Fwiw, I have no idea how many miles the tires actually have on them, since the vehicle always has winter tires during the cold season and we didn’t keep track of the mileage. Vehicle has 57k miles currently. Trying to get another year out of these… what say you? Asking now because I have a chance to get a really good deal currently on a set of tires and sit on them until spring.
Replace them now. My reasoning is because u said they were 8 years old and showing cracking. They could have zero miles and be 8 years old and still need to be replaced. They are the most important thing between you and the road.

I remember a really old news article where a dad put some "new" unused tires on his van because his son taking a road trip with friends. Turned out they were maybe 10 years old sitting in shop on rock the whole time. Tire blew out, van flipped, kids killed. I now stick with the 6 year thing and monitor pretty closely. I also rotate often so I don't need to worry about putting 2 new on the due to depth. I keep them within about 2/32".

Only thing touching the road at higher speeds with my family in it. How much am I saving in wallet vs piece of mind and insurance deductible never mind injury or worse. Same reason I run full winter tires on all the cars.

Back