Maytag quality dropping?

Just replaced an 11 year old Maytag Centennial that started to have issues I couldn't fix with the usual parts (actuator, run capacitor, etc.) So we went to the local scratch and dent place and bought another Maytag being the first one lasted 11 years with heavy use from a family of six. Not even 2 weeks old and it's stuck in a drain cycle. No matter what it keeps trying to drain even without any water in it. These newer models don't have an easily replaceable pressure/water level switch as they are built into the main computer board. Yes it's under warranty but repair guy is scheduled a week out if I want it done under warranty. I just hate appliances in general anymore because they are incredibly flaky and made like crap compared to decades ago. Anyone else have crap luck with Maytag? I thought Samsung and LG were the ones to avoid, now it seems like Maytag too.

All products have quality issues.

I'd recommend a surge protector on the outlet for that washer, or for the whole house at circuit breaker box.

I went thru too many appliance computers, and electronics. Refrigerator, washers/dryers, dvd players, tv's, computers, microwaves..... all popping too often. Went with whole house surge protection and haven't had an issue since. And, some devices had normal power strip surge protectors that didn't help much. I won't splurge for a line conditioner. Might even research isolation transformers for that circuit.

The Staber has its own issues too.

We all see the quality of parts diminishing and a machine is only as good as the junk used to assemble it. I bet many of the switches and sensors are made by a limited number of manufacturers so you aren't totally protected by going with a certain brand. Just get the least amount of electronics and options possible. I never can tell what most options do anyway.

They are all junk.
The only advantage to a Whirlpool brand (of which Maytag is now one) is the decent parts network, and the fact that parts are easy to get.
While I have been told that there are still a few of the "Old School" Maytag models available under their commercial line, they generally are special order pieces and are not readily available.
Maytag certainly isn't what they used to be when they were an independent company.

We had to replace the condenser on our LG fridge less than a year after purchasing new. Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty. The fridge we had before, a Hotpoint, was 27 years old when it finally gave out.

I'd wager your Maytag is still better than our LG.

All products have quality issues.

I'd recommend a surge protector on the outlet for that washer, or for the whole house at circuit breaker box.

I went thru too many appliance computers, and electronics. Refrigerator, washers/dryers, dvd players, tv's, computers, microwaves..... all popping too often. Went with whole house surge protection and haven't had an issue since. And, some devices had normal power strip surge protectors that didn't help much. I won't splurge for a line conditioner. Might even research isolation transformers for that circuit.

The Staber has its own issues too.
I work in the IT field and have more tech crap at home than I know what to do with. Never once has something been killed by a surge or strike. Appreciate the idea though.

We have a pair of the newer direct drive commercial line and they've been fantastic. They're about 5 years old and haven't had an issue.

We had to replace the condenser on our LG fridge less than a year after purchasing new. Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty. The fridge we had before, a Hotpoint, was 27 years old when it finally gave out.

I'd wager your Maytag is still better than our LG.
We redid our 1941 kitchen in June and thanks to covid and inventory issues, we ended up with all LG kitchen appliances to my dismay but they all matched and price wasn't too bad. I had to fix two things on the fridge myself already, the fan kept stopping because a piece of insulation kept falling down and getting in the way of the fan blades, and the right door has a plastic piece that creates the bump when you close it. That broke twice now and the screw doesn't like to stay tight.

They seem commercial focused no? Probably expensive too
Kinda right on both counts. You do pay for quality, just like you did with your early Maytag. They use these machines on cruise ships and in some coin op laundries, so you know they're tough. I can tell you that the motor and all parts are accessible from the front (or top) panels, including the belt. I ran one for 14 years without a hitch. Notice the line about being easily serviceable.
Nothing made in the USA is gonna be cheap. They also use less water and electricity when washing.

We redid our 1941 kitchen in June and thanks to covid and inventory issues, we ended up with all LG kitchen appliances to my dismay but they all matched and price wasn't too bad. I had to fix two things on the fridge myself already, the fan kept stopping because a piece of insulation kept falling down and getting in the way of the fan blades, and the right door has a plastic piece that creates the bump when you close it. That broke twice now and the screw doesn't like to stay tight.
Exactly.

Yeah, it's been known for years now that LG (and Samsung) fridges are literal trash. Just wait until the compressor goes out. 👻 :geek:

Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air, and Consul are all the same brand. Even more use the same components. Our appliances are all 8 years old. The heating element on our Samsung dryer had a list of about 300 dryer models it fit across most any brand. Controls for our GE dishwaasher - same thing. The only thing the brand means is who assembled the sheet metal - unless you get a couple of the high end brands mentioned.

The good news is the parts are really easy to get and none of this stuff is complicated - you take the whole stupid thing apart, replaced the crappy chinese part with a new one, and put it back together. There are youtube videos for everything.

Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air, and Consul are all the same brand. Even more use the same components. Our appliances are all 8 years old. The heating element on our Samsung dryer had a list of about 300 dryer models it fit across most any brand. Controls for our GE dishwaasher - same thing. The only thing the brand means is who assembled the sheet metal - unless you get a couple of the high end brands mentioned.

The good news is the parts are really easy to get and none of this stuff is complicated - you take the whole stupid thing apart, replaced the crappy chinese part with a new one, and put it back together. There are youtube videos for everything.
Aye, they're all Whirlpool owned:

The company markets its namesake flagship brand Whirlpool, alongside other brands as well including Maytag, KitchenAid, JennAir, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Hotpoint, Ignis, Indesit, and Consul. Their website also mentions Diqua, Affresh, Acros, and Yummly brands.[4]

I work in the IT field and have more tech crap at home than I know what to do with. Never once has something been killed by a surge or strike. Appreciate the idea though.
Yeah but sometimes you have to look at the whole picture depending on location. Scenarios like type of service, above ground, underground, rural, city.
I say this from experience, until I retired I traveled the state of South Carolina for roughly 8 years servicing security and camera systems, also the border areas of Georgia and North Carolina.
The summertime was a fiasco with blown out systems from lightning. I’ve been in many homes where they were waiting for insurance adjusters because our systems were not only affected but also TVs, microwaves, extreme cases refrigerators/appliances, the whole gamut I’ve really seen it all.
Surge suppresses are cheap and I stress they are surge suppresses, nothing is going to suppress a close by lightning strike but anything other than a little distance from the house you have a fighting chance to stop it.
Because of this experience I use suppresses on everything and I mean everything, all appliances including refrigerator included.

Small surges even come from inside your home such as air-conditioning and heavy duty appliances turning on and off. The small surges will not damage your unit but it can overtime wear on the components.

Back