Maytag quality dropping?

Maytag has a few quality appliances if you want to pay a little more. This video does a teardown on a Maytag commercial duty washer and dryer:

Washers with agitators do a much better job a cleaning dirty clothes than the non agitator washers.

I have heard and read that where you buy the appliances makes a difference. From an appliance store you will get better models. From Home Depot or Lowe’s you get lesser ones.
That used to be true with things like lawnmowers. But nowadays, HD and Lowes basically get the same exact model and # as everyone else. They usually buy enough in bulk to pass on the savings though.

The same old tale is still passed around for places like Sam's Club and Costco simply because they will change the model # slightly so box stores can't pricematch. People still talk about "oh, they have a different model, it must be cheap cuz warehouse store!"

Just replaced an 11 year old Maytag Centennial that started to have issues I couldn't fix with the usual parts (actuator, run capacitor, etc.) So we went to the local scratch and dent place and bought another Maytag being the first one lasted 11 years with heavy use from a family of six. Not even 2 weeks old and it's stuck in a drain cycle. No matter what it keeps trying to drain even without any water in it. These newer models don't have an easily replaceable pressure/water level switch as they are built into the main computer board. Yes it's under warranty but repair guy is scheduled a week out if I want it done under warranty. I just hate appliances in general anymore because they are incredibly flaky and made like crap compared to decades ago. Anyone else have crap luck with Maytag? I thought Samsung and LG were the ones to avoid, now it seems like Maytag too.
It might be stuck in "flood mode". This can happen when the machine takes a long time to fill, or when the water pressure drops suddenly.

Yup, +1 on that. There expensive, and hard to find one in stock. But rock solid reliable. We got the old classic top loading one. Though it is now made with modern electronic touch buttons, it is still made by Speedqueen and has their quality.
They still make and sell the mechanical ones. I think they are 5 series and 7 series are the electronic ones

Back in 2002 we had to purchase another washer so I saw where an appliance store had two years interest free financing.I jumped on the Maytag Neptune for $800! People told me I was insane paying that much for a washer.Well we used that washer twice a day for twenty years and never had a problem with it.When we purchased a new washer this past June we gave it to a family and they are still using it.I know I'll probably never get that record on the Samsung we have cause they don't build anything like they used too!

Can't really say that one word on here but since it's been happening over the last few years everything has gone downhill especially for appliances. The prices are at least 1.5-2x what they should cost and the quality has significantly decreased. If I could put it off I wouldn't be purchasing anything in the foreseeable future.

I think that is one of the best You Tube videos I ever saw. It kind of agrees with our current appliances.

I hate saying this because I might jinx myself. 15 year old Kenmore Elite refrigerator, Basic builder supplied Whirlpool dishwasher and smooth cooktop stove with above microwave, Kenmore Elite washer and dryer (non digital back then)
All our appliances look like new (I am not kidding) and work like new only except is the smooth cooktop stove and its just natural to have wear marks on the glass cooktop.
I did make two repairs, some years back I replaced the Icemaker tray, the heater coil stopped working and ice cubes could not dump. I replaced the tray, cheap enough part on EBay. This was a must repair item Cant remember price maybe $40 to 80 range
One other repair I made was I noticed, again, some years back the washer agitator wasnt really agitating... it was just randomly moving around both directions instead of one direction. This is an item that I am convinced no one but me would notice. I replaced a plastic gear ring clip thing in the agitator. Took minutes and cant remember price but maybe $12 ?
SO over 15 years, those two items I did myself cost for both less than $100.

I dont watch many videos but this guy seems like the real deal to me because he states the year that appliances started to be made cheaply and it seems like our long lasting appliances was right before that time.
Another thing I agree with, yes, Anything Samsung is garbage, I have been in literally hundreds of homes maybe 1000's I dont know anymore, servicing security systems and also real estate related. During that time I would converse with homeowners which I enjoy and I have to tell you anytime a homeowner was complaining about an appliance it was a Samsung. Stuck in my mind as a one off thing at first, but no way, everyone and I mean everyone when complaining it was a Samsung. The stories about their washers always failing was amazing and some other appliances too. I will never buy a Samsung.
Sadly there are no more Sears here for Kenmore and I was also always a Whirlpool person but after this video I wont think so anymore. Those days seem to be gone and that confirms the video again after being in Lowes looking at Whirlpool Washer and Dryers, I felt like the stuff was so cheaply made which I think I posted already.

If you haven't watched the OP video I suggest you do.

Last edited:
Speed Queen residential units don't have internal heaters so although they are built well, they dont perform as well as units that do.

I have no idea what the quality of latest Maytag products is.
I have a 26 year old Maytag washer and electric dryer and they still work great.

Roper, the economy brand, is Whirlpool too. Internally the only likely difference between a Roper washer and a Maytag non-commercial washer is outer sheetmetal, label, and price.

Appliances are built like automatic transmissions today. Built cheap, but expensive to buy, and prone to fail far too soon.
They do have like 10 speeds too. What happens to a 1 speed spin cycle. Was it really that bad?

Back