Maytag quality dropping?

Maytag service guy showed up today. Told me he couldn't work on it because the re-seller marked it "as-is" accidentally. So now I'm waiting another 4-5 days to reschedule when the scratch and dent place fixes the warranty info. The machine is a 2022 model, impossible to even be outside of manufacturer warranty.

Last edited:
Aye, they're all Whirlpool owned:

They are now. I remember a time when Amana was owned by Raytheon and Frigidaire (just as an example - I know it wasn't on your list) was owned by GM. And I guess the really big one is that GE sold its major appliance division to the Chinese company Haier, although they've been more or less hands off.

One word: Miele.

Yes.

This is the highest quality best performance machine.
Its a Teutonic weapon for laundry, the - 911 turbo of washers.
A minister of dirt death - praying for war.

The Swiss give us Schulthess. Like Rolex or or Pilates these are rentlentlessly Swiss - and fantastic.
Schulthess is Par quality and even larger capacity- but this is stratospheric pricing.

Stay away from anything that says it saves water. That means it won’t clean your clothes.
Yes absolutely. I bought a new whirlpool washer and dryer set 4 years ago and this thing is a POS. I have to use the deep water option every time and if not sweaty shirts and socks end up being half dry and still crusty from the sweat still being there. I can watch this junk in action through glass lid and see it merely piss a little bit of water on a big pile of clothes. it's an complete joke.

The scratch and dent place are making things right. They brought a loaner to my house today (very basic Roper that's working great) and took back the Maytag to troubleshoot and repair at their shop. The guy did some brief troubleshooting while he was here and said it's probably the board/computer.

The scratch and dent place are making things right. They brought a loaner to my house today (very basic Roper that's working great) and took back the Maytag to troubleshoot and repair at their shop. The guy did some brief troubleshooting while he was here and said it's probably the board/computer.
On the Maytag Commercial Tech washers, there's a place under the board that can collect condensation. Most things online I've seen said if you get a new one to put some liquid silicone sealer on the connections to prevent it happening in the future.

Yes absolutely. I bought a new whirlpool washer and dryer set 4 years ago and this thing is a POS. I have to use the deep water option every time and if not sweaty shirts and socks end up being half dry and still crusty from the sweat still being there. I can watch this junk in action through glass lid and see it merely piss a little bit of water on a big pile of clothes. it's an complete joke.
I own a Maytag and Kenmore top loader - seldom use low water options - front loaders work better on low water - but they have different issues themselves …

This thread is discerning. We will be in the market for a Washer/Dryer and Refrigerator in the new year for the house we are building.
15 years ago almost to this day we simply went to Sears (no longer around here) Picked out a Kenmore Elite for all three of the above and here we are 15 years later, they still look and work like new. Something tells me this is not going to be repeated with the new stuff.
I did like that video and already posted in this thread, I always liked top loaders but it seems that LG front loader is the way to go both in that video and Consumer Reports. The refrigerator is a tougher call and have no idea yet what we will do, still have plenty of time though.

Man, I guess the day is gone of buying a higher end product and having upgraded mechanisms. Its all just window dressing with features and the same old cheap garbage under the "cover"

That's amazing service from the scratch and dent place.

It's probably a Whirlpool VMW which is actually a very good machine and easy to service. It's unusual to have anything fail at 2 weeks, but sometimes things just happen. It was also purchased at a scratch and dent, so who knows the history.

speed queen is the only brand still around that caters to people wanting something to last. their appliances are basic and don't have any fancy features, but they last.

speed queen is the only brand still around that caters to people wanting something to last. their appliances are basic and don't have any fancy features, but they last.

I have a Speed Queen. I put it along with an old Maytag dryer in my mother-in-law suite. I replaced it with a LG front load washer and dryer and a Maytag Pet Pro washer and dryer. Yes, I have 3 washers and dryers all hooked up in my go for broke custom home.

I'd avoid SQ unless the only thing you care about is reliability. It ravels bed sheets and the capacity is a disappointment.
The wash speed is fast however. It fills and washes faster when you select warm water.

The Maytag vs Speed Queen video I posted shows how the Speed Queen performs and I have real world experince with the same disappointing performance.

Speed Queen is made in Ripon, WI. The city is famous for one thing which cannot be discussed on this website. Google "what is Ripon, WI famous for"

IMG_3321.JPG

I have a Speed Queen washer that just turned 10 years old. It hasn't missed a beat. I believe I have read that there may be outsourcing for some parts now. I think they had also introduced another design along with the old that wasn't entirely successful.

I didn't view skyactiv's comparison video yet, but it is true that the SQ top loader is a bit tough on clothes. Long ago, I started using the permanent-press cycle for everything except ratty towels. It's still a pretty robust cycle and minimizes wear. Mine seems to do an excellent job on cleaning. Again, mine is a ten-year-old model which I believe was all US sourced.

The only good new Speed Queen (imo) is the “classic” TC5. I like the Maytag (and Whirlpool) commercial washers. But these Vertical Modular Washers of any brand made by Whirlpool are really all the same set up and easy to work on, plenty of parts available, and with normal use, should last a long time.

The commercial versions have beefier parts so they should hold up longer. The ones with a dual action (two piece ratcheting) agitator seem to do the best job cleaning.

The wash plate (impeller) types like the 11+ year old Maytag Centennial I have does an ok job but I’d prefer the dual action agitator if I had to buy a new one.

Only part I replaced on my VMW over the past 11 years is the shift actuator (was a common failure on the early ones and was a simple and inexpensive repair) and a belt. It gets used at least 6 or so loads a week, sometimes more.

Last edited:
My wife decided she'd had enough of the fingerprints and stains our stainless steel kitchen appliances would get, especially when the grandkids came over. Last Friday was the breaking point and she listed the refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher (all Kenmore) on Facebook Marketplace just to see if anyone might be interested. Thought at the time it was just frustration and after a little time she would get over it. Well, she had six inquiries within the first hour. The next morning some elderly gentleman, and his two grandsons, came over with cash in hand and drove away with them. We are now living out of coolers and a small dorm refrigerator. We do have matching fingerprint-proof resistant Whirlpool replacements ordered but they are not scheduled to be delivered until early November. Didn't enjoy the new appliance shopping experience at all. Whirlpool was the only brand we could get all four pieces within a decent time frame. Never even looked at Samsung or LG, and that was a sentiment from the very nice sales person that handled our purchase. Fingers crossed that these will hold up as good as our Whirlpool washer and dryer we purchased eight years ago. As an aside, can someone explain to me why I might need a refrigerator that connects to the internet so I can see what's inside? Good lord we are getting soft.

Back