Refrigerator Suggestions

I have a GE "garage ready" refrigerator in my garage that is unplugged and not in use. They can cool in a garage up to 110F

I think it's built better and more insulated than a standard non "garage ready" GE fridge. I only bought it because I had a home built last year and the fridge we ordered took months to arrive. I chose the garage ready model incase we use it in the garage some day.

They aren't digital and have old fashioned round temp adjustment knobs. And they aren't expensive. But make sure you look the prices up on GE and whoever elses website like Lowes.

Even with a warranty compressor its still going to cost me $900 for labor so it had better work properly afterwards.
We are lucky we have a large fridge in our fifth wheel at the house plus a small freezer in the garage. My mini fridge from the barn is sitting on the kitchen counter. Its a pain but it will have to suffice for another week until the compressor finally gets here.

Check (Google) for any class action lawsuit to see if your model was inclued. It covers the labor and bunch of other stuff. Evidently LG had sold lots of junk to have the lawsuits going. I'm sure they are still selling junk based on recent reports.

When I was searching for LG fridge issues, I found out about the lawsuit that covered my model and was not charged for the useless labor. lol

Check (Google) for any class action lawsuit to see if your model was inclued. It covers the labor and bunch of other stuff. Evidently LG had sold lots of junk to have the lawsuits going. I'm sure they are still selling junk based on recent reports.

When I was searching for LG fridge issues, I found out about the lawsuit that covered my model and was not charged for the useless labor. lol
The class action suit was settled in 2021 if I recall correctly and only covered labor until 5th year. Either way I missed the boat.

Past home Whirlpool for 15 years, now new home LG. Love it.
Wanted USA Whirlpool but look and feel cheap compared to the quality feel and awesome look of the LG so at least I avoided stuff from China like GE which they own..
LG among the top rated in Consumer Reports.
Compressor issues with LG new style linear compressor and a corroding pipe was years ago.
Every company at some point has a class action lawsuit over something. Issue has been taken care of, not rocket science;)

Last edited:
Only Whirlpool built major appliances at my place. Maytag, Kitchen Aid and Roper are also Whirlpool.
Why? Retired 3 yrs now but 46 yrs. as a lead onsite appliance technician for Sears.
Kenmore where mostly Whirlpool until LG and Samsung came along then they started using them.
Yeah Whirlpool is not what they used to be, but the Chinese onslaught has forced them to remain competitive on pricing / margins.
Chinese brands, LG, Samsung, Haier/GE good for 2-3 yrs. until the pin falls out of the grenade.

Sitrep; Chatted with LG tech rep Sunday night (that's real customer service). Said they'd send somebody to repair my unit. Tech came Tuesday and Dx'd a faulty linear compressor. Because nobody advised me to leave the unit plugged in he had to come back today after the fridge had been running for >18-24 hrs. Returned today and swapped compressor, recharged and the unit is back online and working normally.

Warranty, so I flipped the guy a generous tip. Big shoutout to LG. Life is Good!
again

1686870307938.png

Last edited:
Korean front, Mfgr. in the PRC
If so, taking your word for it, so is every piece of equipment we are communicating with right now, including iPhones, and all the others, even some Tesla car components.
The fact of the matter is SADLY Whirlpool fit, finish, quality of materials was terrible and not worthy of our new gourmet kitchen. Not my fault. I wanted their product but they dont offer it. LG does. Right down the beautifully done logo. Perfect seams and edges, no foam squeezing past the sides anyplace. Wonderful piece of equipment. Darn it, the thing is so quiet that we can not hear it running, it's creepy! *LOL*
Here is more information if interested. Much LG is made in Korea. Almost like TVs the cheaper stuff outsourced to China and others. But doesnt matter, al things equal I buy American but poor workmanship I do not tolerate, nor do any of us on any product, Including all the vehicles in this very forum.

Whirlpool doesnt come close to the look of the LG in out kitchen.
It's sad for Whirlpool, my wife and I still talk about the LG, just opening and closing the door feels quality.
IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

Last edited:
Look at the model/serial number plate on the unit for where anything comes from. A lot of microwaves are coming from Malaysia or Vietnam also.
Different models can vary on build location from the same Mfgr. also. Global parts in everything though.

Not an appliance expert, but the last few repairmen that I have talked with are unanimous on two things:

1. They are all junk.
2. Buy a Whirlpool (or one of their brands.) This is not because they are all that much better, but they have the best parts network and parts are readily available. (This view was also expressed by the repairman that Bosch sent out to repair my then one month old Bosch dishwasher.)
I was told the exact same thing. No more Pacific Rim fridge / freezers for me. Once was enough. TV's yeah. Fridge / freezers, no way.

I was told the exact same thing. No more Pacific Rim fridge / freezers for me. Once was enough. TV's yeah. Fridge / freezers, no way.
I've heard that. Our 2002 Maytag/Kenmore Elite is the Maytag/Jenn-Air/Amana and problem-free until 2016, at which time it froze up. From here on, I have to replace the defrost thermostat every 2-3 years. I have a spare evaporator fan and defrost timer just in case. No matter where I post, someone who is in the repair business says the $1900 (same unit except solid state control) replacement isn't going to last 21 years and to keep replacing that part for as long as possible ($8-$10 on amazon).....the fridge itself is actually higher quality stainless steel than what I see today. Just me but that a magnet doesn't stick to it is good.

Avoid cheap fridge which has the ice dispenser mounted on the door. The wiring is typically run to the door in such a way that it breaks from repeated open/closing of the freezer door.

My Samsung is a few years old and while it still works half the plastic shelves are cracked and the ice maker only worked for the first year or so. If you go online it seems nearly every Samsumg icemaker stops working. My MIL has a 25-year-old Sub-Zero that runs like a top but that can get expensive.

Reactions: 4WD
Only Whirlpool built major appliances at my place. Maytag, Kitchen Aid and Roper are also Whirlpool.
Why? Retired 3 yrs now but 46 yrs. as a lead onsite appliance technician for Sears.
Kenmore where mostly Whirlpool until LG and Samsung came along then they started using them.
Yeah Whirlpool is not what they used to be, but the Chinese onslaught has forced them to remain competitive on pricing / margins.
Chinese brands, LG, Samsung, Haier/GE good for 2-3 yrs. until the pin falls out of the grenade.
Our in-laws had a Sears up until a few months ago - we were there replacing a 15-year-old Kenmore and they said get a Whirlpool but only expect 8 years - or even less for the KORUS stuff ...

I've heard that. Our 2002 Maytag/Kenmore Elite is the Maytag/Jenn-Air/Amana and problem-free until 2016, at which time it froze up. From here on, I have to replace the defrost thermostat every 2-3 years. I have a spare evaporator fan and defrost timer just in case. No matter where I post, someone who is in the repair business says the $1900 (same unit except solid state control) replacement isn't going to last 21 years and to keep replacing that part for as long as possible ($8-$10 on amazon).....the fridge itself is actually higher quality stainless steel than what I see today. Just me but that a magnet doesn't stick to it is good.
Also, long before fast Eddie gutted Sears - they had very experienced buyers that would weed out the poor performers - basically they would no longer put the Kenmore or Kenmore Elite (what we'd get) badge on them ...
I just wonder why the remaining box stores can't seem to get there ...

We have a 20 year old Kenmore made by Whirlpool that has been trouble free. Along with the trouble free KenmoreWhirlpool front loading washer and dryer.

The Korean appliances are hard to get repaired, and it doesn't last. GE, Frigidaire are now only brands having no connection with the original companies holding the trademarks.

My Samsung is a few years old and while it still works half the plastic shelves are cracked and the ice maker only worked for the first year or so. If you go online it seems nearly every Samsumg icemaker stops working. My MIL has a 25-year-old Sub-Zero that runs like a top but that can get expensive.
FTR...I knew Samsung was not good and I only have a Samsung because it was the only refrigerator I could find that would fit into the space without adjusting/cutting the cabinets. It replaced a 30 year old Whirpool side-by-side that had an odd height dimension.

Also, long before fast Eddie gutted Sears - they had very experienced buyers that would weed out the poor performers - basically they would no longer put the Kenmore or Kenmore Elite (what we'd get) badge on them ...
I just wonder why the remaining box stores can't seem to get there ...
The top load extra large washer is a 2005 Kenmore Elite. Runs fine today. When I bought the house in 2002, it came with a 1984 Whirlpool washer and dryer, and the washer started acting up, so it got replaced in 2005. The dryer is still going (I need to check it now actually)--had to replace the belt last year (looks to be 2nd time as strapping tape was holding some trim on the unit, i.e. previous owner replaced said belt prior to 2002.). They really very likely don't build them like they used to. I was eyeing the commercial/residential Maytags, just in case, but they won't fit through our 1951 basement door....

p.s. I envy your 122.9 cu ft of cargo in the Tahoe :ROFLMAO:

The top load extra large washer is a 2005 Kenmore Elite. Runs fine today. When I bought the house in 2002, it came with a 1984 Whirlpool washer and dryer, and the washer started acting up, so it got replaced in 2005. The dryer is still going (I need to check it now actually)--had to replace the belt last year (looks to be 2nd time as strapping tape was holding some trim on the unit, i.e. previous owner replaced said belt prior to 2002.). They really very likely don't build them like they used to. I was eyeing the commercial/residential Maytags, just in case, but they won't fit through our 1951 basement door....

p.s. I envy your 122.9 cu ft of cargo in the Tahoe :ROFLMAO:
Our Maytag W/D set is over a decade old - raised the kids - now supporting the many pets that she replaced the kids with :rolleyes:
The Tahoe(s) are very handy since no longer having a PU like I had forever - do use my utility trailer once in a while ...

Back