Refrigerator Suggestions

So far we really like our Electrolux.

French door, bottom freezer, middle drawer with adjustable temp, ice water in door,
BONUS - secondary ice maker in freezer unit.

We were limited to a counter depth model and we found the features we wanted in it

Samsung TV is doing ok for us so far.
Bought it at Costco and it had 3 years warranty and Costco extended it to 5 years if paid with their citi bank credit card.
I figured these days if any piece of junk lasts 5 years, I will be happy considering relatively lower Costco prices ...

Came back from two days at the beach today and my refrigerator had crapped out. Transferred the perishables to my 'man cave' beer locker in the garage. Some of the frozed stuff had thawed so had to toss it. Hate wasting food or things automotive. None of the YT videos offered solid advice on the fix so I'm stuck replacing it. Haven't had to buy a refrigerator since my old Kenmore quit years ago. The unit today accoring to the LG website probably four yeard three months old.

Sage advice from the BITOG appliance experts?
Buy something without French doors, and skip ice maker and water in the door unless you absolutely can’t live without it.

There are marked increases in reliability when skipping those things- the simpler the better is certainly true in this case. Scoop your ice out of the tray or make your own cubes, get your water from the sink. It pays to let the fridge & freezer do only the jobs they were initially designed to do.

I’ve had a Kenmore Elite with a single door and no “convenience” on the door, and it’s going on 12 years without a single hiccup of any kind.

We purchased a Whirlpool 22 cu ft side by side in December 1990 and it is still going strong. Only repair was a new ice maker that was replaced under warranty in 1992.

Samsung appliances are trash. I've got a 13 year old Samsung fridge that other than the ice maker somehow making it 12 years, it's been great. Must have been made on a Tuesday. But I think the junk ones started in 2011.

I vote Whirlpool and their other brands.

I have a family member who bought a Hisense fridge in 12/2021 and she's on the 3rd one (2 warranty replacements). So stay away from those too. I like Hisense TV's though.

Whirlpool fridge purchased in early 2006. It's been flawless. Knocking on wood.

We are coming up on 25 years with our magic chef fridge ! for the last five years my wife has been saying we need to get a new one i keep telling her we might as well use it till it quits as we do have a second fridge in the garage.
I'm thinking if we had bought a new fridge five years ago it would most likely have quit already , all i hear is the new stuff is junk ?
In 25 years zero issue's the bloody thing refuses to die once a year i clean the fan and coils of dust build up and thats it.
Agree, the new models won't last for 25 years. My Kenmore is almost 29 years old and going strong.

Miele.
Rock solid.

Yup everything they do is.

Pretty sure Liebherr is the fridge arm of Miele.

If I had a spot for one Id have one. My current and last place has predefined holes in the kitchen I have to fit into.

My rule on appliances is nothing digital, but that is getting near impossible to find. Not sure why they go bad on those but last forever on most other devices. When they go bad they cost more than the appliance just for the part. Like my 3-4K$ ac blower motor (part cost). Entire new central 3 BR 3 ton Carrier and ductwork install was only 8k.

My 6 yr old LG is sitting in the kitchen warm and dark due to a compressor failure. Currently waiting on parts. As far as I am concerned they are all junk.

That's what happened to mine. Meanwhile I had to buy another fridge since it took them over 2 months to repair. They changed the compressor but it would go through 4 days cold, 2 days warm cycles, then repeat ... Tech came over again after another 2 months wait, fridge was on its 4 day cold cycle when he came over and said it looks good and would not listen to what I had to say. He said compressor was changed and it's blowing cold air now ... We gave up and recycled the junk.

Hopefully you won't run into this issue! btw, I had 3 temperature probes and showed the tech min/max temperature data. One probe in the freezer, 1 inside the fridge and another inside the fridge in a bottle of water. I think they were sub-contracted and paid to change the compressor only. Also he didn't sound very knowledgeable and no sense to argue with people like that. ;)

Last edited:
That's what happened to mine. Meanwhile I had to buy another fridge since it took them over 2 months to repair. They changed the compressor but it would go through 4 days cold, 2 days warm cycles, then repeat ... Tech came over again after another 2 months wait, fridge was on its 4 day cold cycle when he came over and said it looks good and would not listen to what I had to say. He said compressor was changed and it's blowing cold air now ... We gave up and recycled the junk.

Hopefully you won't run into this issue! btw, I had 3 temperature probes and showed the tech min/max temperature data. One probe in the freezer, 1 inside the fridge and another inside the fridge in a bottle of water. I think they were sub-contracted and paid to change the compressor only. Also he didn't sound very knowledgeable and no sense to argue with people like that. ;)
Even with a warranty compressor its still going to cost me $900 for labor so it had better work properly afterwards.
We are lucky we have a large fridge in our fifth wheel at the house plus a small freezer in the garage. My mini fridge from the barn is sitting on the kitchen counter. Its a pain but it will have to suffice for another week until the compressor finally gets here.

Back