Refrigerator Suggestions

My Samsung is a few years old and while it still works half the plastic shelves are cracked and the ice maker only worked for the first year or so. If you go online it seems nearly every Samsumg icemaker stops working. My MIL has a 25-year-old Sub-Zero that runs like a top but that can get expensive.
I went through 2 ice makers on my Samsung, at over $300.00 a pop. When the second one broke, we got rid of it and got a Whirlpool.

I went through 2 ice makers on my Samsung, at over $300.00 a pop. When the second one broke, we got rid of it and got a Whirlpool.
We had it fixed once and now we just ignore it and we have a separate counter-top ice maker.

Having good luck with the GE that we got to replace the nightmare Samsung. The ice maker actually works dependably. I know, what a concept. If you see anything with Samsung on it, walk the other direction.

I’ve got:

-2008 Whirlpool chugging away in the garage
-2014 Thermador fridge and freezer columns in the kitchen.
-2016 Kenmore in the basement
-2017 Kenmore in the addition

All have been trouble free so far. Knock on wood. I believe the Thermadors are repairable, the rest I’d just replace if they die.

I think the meaning of “garage ready” is that the compressor functions across a wider range and possibly they have thermostats in the fridge and freezer. I know the fridge in the garage now will thaw something in the freezer portion in cold temps. I think the fridge portion doesn’t need any cooling so it doesn’t keep the freezer cold enough when it’s in the 40s in the garage.

Got a 2020 GE French door with bottom freezer and second cooling drawer for drinks etc. adjustable temp via Wi-Fi and great water/ice dispenser. The shelves are pretty customizable too. Overall a well thought out design. The wifi thing is more of a gimmick but a great way to quickly chill wine for the wife. Expensive, we bought extended warranty. Not sure on longevity but so far it’s been great and taken a lot of abuse from kids smashing doors/drawers.

Based on our experience, I suggest looking into a GE 21.8 Cu. Ft.
ZS22IYNFS. Counter-depth w/door water/ice dispenser. Water and ice taste good. $1399. Working perfectly. Hopefully for the next decade!

Based on our experience, I suggest looking into a GE 21.8 Cu. Ft.
ZS22IYNFS. Counter-depth w/door water/ice dispenser. Water and ice taste good. $1399. Working perfectly. Hopefully for the next decade!
Be aware that GE refer uses a propriety XWFE electronic filter ($50+) that expires 6 months after installation. Did your salesman tell you that?

My whirlpool ice maker is… temperamental. All summer long last year it refused to make ice, as soon as it started getting colder again it started and kept making ice until the past few weeks where it’s been hit or miss and I cannot figure out why but turning on “fast ice” seems to help. If it’s much higher than 72-74F in the house it seems to not like making ice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Next fridge will probably be a Fisher and Paykel

My whirlpool ice maker is… temperamental. All summer long last year it refused to make ice, as soon as it started getting colder again it started and kept making ice until the past few weeks where it’s been hit or miss and I cannot figure out why but turning on “fast ice” seems to help. If it’s much higher than 72-74F in the house it seems to not like making ice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Next fridge will probably be a Fisher and Paykel
I had a similar problem with mine. When we first got it, I thought the icemaker was broken. It barely made 3 trays of ice a day. I called Lowe's, and the lady I talked to said she had the same issue with hers.

As it turns out, the machine has to "learn" how to make ice to the demand it is given. She told me to give it a couple of weeks, and assured me it would start to make ice faster. I thought she was Looney Tunes, but gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Sure enough. After 2 weeks it started making ice much faster. Craziest thing I ever heard. But again, she was right. Now it makes ice faster, but between just my wife and I, it can barely keep up during the hot weather, when our ice consumption increases.

It never ceases to amaze me how unnecessarily complex they make things today.

I had a similar problem with mine. When we first got it, I thought the icemaker was broken. It barely made 3 trays of ice a day. I called Lowe's, and the lady I talked to said she had the same issue with hers.

As it turns out, the machine has to "learn" how to make ice to the demand it is given. She told me to give it a couple of weeks, and assured me it would start to make ice faster. I thought she was Looney Tunes, but gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Sure enough. After 2 weeks it started making ice much faster. Craziest thing I ever heard. But again, she was right. Now it makes ice faster, but between just my wife and I, it can barely keep up during the hot weather, when our ice consumption increases.

It never ceases to amaze me how unnecessarily complex they make things today.
I wonder if this is actually the case, or simply an intermittent issue leading to eventual failure.

As complex as the world has gotten, there still has to be some logic applied to ordinary situations.

The ice maker has to learn to make ice, and it takes a couple of weeks?

That reminds me of something I recently saw on Amazon. They’re learning us to stop returning things.

Edit I got an answer like that when my BMW was stalling in 2007 (new car N54). The service advisor said I am not putting the key into the dash and causing my own issue because the fob is not charging (it’s a smart key that has a 2032 coin cell). Some individuals, rather than admit they don’t know the answer, make things up imho
IMG_0032.jpeg

I wonder if this is actually the case, or simply an intermittent issue leading to eventual failure.....The ice maker has to learn to make ice, and it takes a couple of weeks?......

It's just the way it works. The is no underlying issue. Simply put, the more you use, the more it makes. It doesn't run at its maximum production capacity all the time.... Or as soon as you plug it in.

We kept emptying it, and little by little it kept making more than the last time.... Until it is making it as fast as possible. It can almost fill the bin overnight when it's running at full tilt. But that took several days from when we first got it.

I see no advantage to this. It doesn't save energy. And the amount of water it "saves" amounts to not even what a single flush of a toilet uses. And if you normally use a low volume of ice, then suddenly increase demand, (a party), it runs out of ice faster than it can make it. Instead of always having plenty in the bin for reserve use.

We use a lot in the warmer weather. So it makes it faster. But as I mentioned, it can barely keep up with my wife and I.

My Samsung icemaker didn't work right from like day 1. Five years later it stopped cooling, Everything would freeze up in the back, fan stopped working and everything died. 1 month later my Samsung Washer died. At least that had a warranty recall and parts not available. They paid out a decent amount of cash to put toward new.

I bought LG refrigerator on my own, and an LG washer with mostly that cash. Both working well so far, fingers crossed.

Like listed depending where you look and reviews. They are all the best ever or worst ever. Total crap shoot. I won't buy another Samsung appliance though.

My Samsung icemaker didn't work right from like day 1. Five years later it stopped cooling, Everything would freeze up in the back, fan stopped working and everything died. 1 month later my Samsung Washer died. At least that had a warranty recall and parts not available. They paid out a decent amount of cash to put toward new.

I bought LG refrigerator on my own, and an LG washer with mostly that cash. Both working well so far, fingers crossed.

Like listed depending where you look and reviews. They are all the best ever or worst ever. Total crap shoot. I won't buy another Samsung appliance though.
LG, washer, dryer and refrigerator. Brand new 3 months ago. Couldn't be more happy so far. We would never buy a Samsung, though I am sure many of their issues may have been worked out by now

LG, washer, dryer and refrigerator. Brand new 3 months ago. Couldn't be more happy so far. We would never buy a Samsung, though I am sure many of their issues may have been worked out by now
When I got rid of the refrigerator, Lowes was still advertising the same exact model and had it in stock for purchase. Washer was not available as too many parts for it were not available either. That was why they credited me. I'd say no, not worked out.

We have a Whirlpool upright freezer and a Samsung fridge, no issues with either. Our Samsung fridge is the freezer bottom and double top fridge but without the display or water/ice in the door, but the ice and water are on the inside.

I’ve got:

-2008 Whirlpool chugging away in the garage
-2014 Thermador fridge and freezer columns in the kitchen.
-2016 Kenmore in the basement
-2017 Kenmore in the addition

All have been trouble free so far. Knock on wood. I believe the Thermadors are repairable, the rest I’d just replace if they die.

I think the meaning of “garage ready” is that the compressor functions across a wider range and possibly they have thermostats in the fridge and freezer. I know the fridge in the garage now will thaw something in the freezer portion in cold temps. I think the fridge portion doesn’t need any cooling so it doesn’t keep the freezer cold enough when it’s in the 40s in the garage.
You sure don't have to walk too far, to grab a cold Guinness :ROFLMAO:

Years ago my Amana ice maker water solenoid failed open and flooded the kitchen while we were gone. Replaced it and 6 months later it happened again, but I was there and caught it. Using ice trays ever since, I just can't trust the cheap parts in the ice makers.

Back