Refrigerator Suggestions

Came back from two days at the beach today and my refrigerator had crapped out. Transferred the perishables to my 'man cave' beer locker in the garage. Some of the frozed stuff had thawed so had to toss it. Hate wasting food or things automotive. None of the YT videos offered solid advice on the fix so I'm stuck replacing it. Haven't had to buy a refrigerator since my old Kenmore quit years ago. The unit today accoring to the LG website probably four yeard three months old.

Sage advice from the BITOG appliance experts?

We bought this in Feb. Like it so far. Fairly quiet. All the ones I looked just have a 1 yr warranty so I bought the extended warranty from HD. Just a simple fridge. Hate the stainless steel tho. Have to clean it constantly and it's just me and the wife.

FFTR2045VS​

Frigidaire 20.0 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator

We bought this in Feb. Like it so far. Fairly quiet. All the ones I looked just have a 1 yr warranty so I bought the extended warranty from HD. Just a simple fridge. Hate the stainless steel tho. Have to clean it constantly and it's just me and the wife.

FFTR2045VS​

Frigidaire 20.0 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator
I got one in black..
427 kwh per year.

IMG_20230610_112401983.jpg

I will add that after reading reviews of many brands I kept our old fridge just in case. It is still working, just was leaking water during defrost cycle. It was old and my wife discouraged me from "modifying" the drain setup. lol

We are coming up on 25 years with our magic chef fridge ! for the last five years my wife has been saying we need to get a new one i keep telling her we might as well use it till it quits as we do have a second fridge in the garage.
I'm thinking if we had bought a new fridge five years ago it would most likely have quit already , all i hear is the new stuff is junk ?
In 25 years zero issue's the bloody thing refuses to die once a year i clean the fan and coils of dust build up and thats it.

Not an appliance expert, but the last few repairmen that I have talked with are unanimous on two things:

1. They are all junk.
2. Buy a Whirlpool (or one of their brands.) This is not because they are all that much better, but they have the best parts network and parts are readily available. (This view was also expressed by the repairman that Bosch sent out to repair my then one month old Bosch dishwasher.)

My new approach to appliances is to buy off-brand names made by the majors. I had a Magic Chef fridge made by Whirlpool that lasted 15 years. The new whirlpool-branded unit we got to replace it won't make it that long, and already has me wanting to buy another one after 5-7 years. We had a Hot Point dishwasher made by GE that lasted 20 years; I replaced it with another Hotpoint model that was the closest model to the earlier unit that we had.

My reasoning? The off brand ones will be cheaper and have fewer gizmo gadgets that are likely to break down.

Came back from two days at the beach today and my refrigerator had crapped out. Transferred the perishables to my 'man cave' beer locker in the garage. Some of the frozed stuff had thawed so had to toss it. Hate wasting food or things automotive. None of the YT videos offered solid advice on the fix so I'm stuck replacing it. Haven't had to buy a refrigerator since my old Kenmore quit years ago. The unit today accoring to the LG website probably four yeard three months old.

Sage advice from the BITOG appliance experts?
I would say Kenmore whirlpool but have heard good things off and on about Samsung. Another oddball that seems to have a small cult following is Crosley

Back