I threw out an old Maytag dryer today

I have a mother-in-law suite I rent out. The renter texted the dryer was making a grinding noise and shut it off. The dryer is a Maytag model MDE9706AYW I got used for $250 when I bought my first house. The serial number indicates it was made in 1998. I had to tighten the screws holding the tumble paddles and replaced the lint filter twice.

I know I could fix it myself but decided to replace it. Wife said she would choose the dryer and got a LG DLE7000W being delivered tomorrow. I would have bought something made in the USA if it was up to me. We already placed the old dryer out next to the road.

I have a mother-in-law suite I rent out. The renter texted the dryer was making a grinding noise and shut it off. The dryer is a Maytag model MDE9706AYW I got used for $250 when I bought my first house. The serial number indicates it was made in 1998. I had to tighten the screws holding the tumble paddles and replaced the lint filter twice.

I know I could fix it myself but decided to replace it. Wife said she would choose the dryer and got a LG DLE7000W being delivered tomorrow. I would have bought something made in the USA if it was up to me. We already placed the old dryer out next to the road.
There are lots of made in China parts inside the dryers regardless of the name plate .

Our dryer came with the house and is a gas 1984 Whirlpool. I just changed the belt last year, and it had been done before (not in the 21 years under my possession) since the lower panel had evidence of strapping tape holding it in place. It turned into a bigger job due to the dryer door and the way it seals to the drum, but the belt itself was simple. I have no idea how long this thing will keep going.

Our fridge is a 2002 Kenmore Elite aka Maytag Frigidaire Amana and would be $1900 to replace. The biggest issue is people all say the replacement won't last 21+ years like the current one, so I keep fixing the defrost thermostat for $9 on amazon. I have those thermometers with an exterior display monitoring the temps and when I see it stops defrosting, time for the new sensor. Have the evap motor, fan, and timer as spare parts too....

I have an Admiral gas dryer that was also made in 1998. It was made by Maytag. It has been perfect and still runs like new.

My 448$ pair from hh gregg in 2013.. the washer needs new bearing
other than that still working good(sounds like a train currently)

To tear down the washer and refurb it.. parts cost more than the washer did new.
its not exactly an easy job requires me to disconnect the washer and move it 30ft to center of basement for clearance.
plus a couple hours of labor.

Tempted to buy closeout set at costco but resisted.

My parents are still running on the used Montgomery Ward they bought from an estate auction in 1988. It needs a belt and tensioner assembly every 5 years or so and the drum bearing has been replaced twice. Parts are still readily available and cheap. The only thing I could see killing it now is if the motor fails simply due to cost.

Reactions: hrv
I have been blessed since every appliance I have is old but still functioning. Whirlpool dishwasher(1988), Kenmore fridge (1994), Kenmore washer and gas dryer (both 1994).

I am still running a Maytag of a similiar vintage. If it squealed it is the belt or idler wheels and if it grinds it is probably the plastic wear bearings on the drum. Cheap and easy to replace. I always figure there is a point when you stop fixing but parts are so cheap and they are easy to fix.

I’ve wondered about a fire caused by a really old dryer and how an insurance company would find a way to refuse a settlement after their investigate revealed that the old dryer caused a fire. After an older appliance bites the dust it may be wise to replace it…

I’ve wondered about a fire caused by a really old dryer and how an insurance company would find a way to refuse a settlement after their investigate revealed that the old dryer caused a fire. After an older appliance bites the dust it may be wise to replace it…
A well maintained old dryer is no more hazardous than a new one. Most do not open them up and clean the inside of them where lint has been residing the past 10 years..

Back