Mandatory epi-pen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Marco620
Should be listed as don't make any plans. I took two allergy pills once and was light headed and slobbering.

I've never slobbered, but I did fall off the arm of the couch I was sitting on when I fell asleep lol

Originally Posted by bbhero
Why are medications so expensive??? Several big reasons. But #1 amongst them is the involvement of third big parties able to pay far far more money than a individual person could ... Private insurance and govt insurance are a part of why prices are so high... Another reason is how much money it actually takes for research and development in production of new medication. It is a quite a lot rather often. Plus companies have to recoup their money in a rather short window after they get the necessary approvals. And remember.... Part of that money they make in that window... Is financing the next drug they hope to introduce to the market. . Which again..... Is not cheap.

And western allopathic medicine isn't targeted at fixing people...it's a poor business model...per Goldman Sachs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman-asks-is-curing-patients-a-sustainable-business-model.html

"The potential to deliver 'one shot cures' is one of the most attractive aspects of gene therapy, genetically-engineered cell therapy and gene editing. However, such treatments offer a very different outlook with regard to recurring revenue versus chronic therapies," analyst Salveen Richter wrote in the note to clients Tuesday. "While this proposition carries tremendous value for patients and society, it could represent a challenge for genome medicine developers looking for sustained cash flow."

Richter cited Gilead Sciences' treatments for hepatitis C, which achieved cure rates of more than 90 percent. The company's U.S. sales for these hepatitis C treatments peaked at $12.5 billion in 2015, but have been falling ever since. Goldman estimates the U.S. sales for these treatments will be less than $4 billion this year, according to a table in the report.

"GILD is a case in point, where the success of its hepatitis C franchise has gradually exhausted the available pool of treatable patients," the analyst wrote. "In the case of infectious diseases such as hepatitis C, curing existing patients also decreases the number of carriers able to transmit the virus to new patients, thus the incident pool also declines … Where an incident pool remains stable (eg, in cancer) the potential for a cure poses less risk to the sustainability of a franchise."

re the OP...I understand that there would be a need to have epipens around when you are challenging the immune system...but to have it as mandatory that you bring your own at your cost smells of something a little corrupt.

Couple of points per other posts...when I had Bell's Palsy, I was prescribed prednisone...put on kilos of water within days, and was looking for a train to jump under...that's BAD news.

re epinepherin and allergies
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

Healthy volunteers practicing the learned techniques exhibited profound increases in the release of epinephrine, which in turn led to increased production of anti-inflammatory mediators and subsequent dampening of the proinflammatory cytokine response elicited by intravenous administration of bacterial endotoxin. This study could have important implications for the treatment of a variety of conditions associated with excessive or persistent inflammation, especially autoimmune diseases in which therapies that antagonize proinflammatory cytokines have shown great benefit.

20 minutes of Wim Hoff breathwork results in a 250% increase in epinepherin.

No, it's not going to save you from alyphalaxis, but there's more to it than is acknowledged by the pay per view medical system.

Most likely something happened at the practice and some "I will sue you" type of patient sent them a notice or something. No clinic usually wants to put a burden on the patients as the patients just find another practice but when such things happen, to cover their own behind, for no fault of their own, they have to institute the policy.

Have you tried Vitamin C and Quercetin, or a supplement like Neuroprotek? My son has a boatload of allergies and his IgE is always in hundreds (it should be less than 99, if using LabCorp). It helps him really well. It was suggested to us by our allergist, but you talk to your doc before using it.

Originally Posted by StevieC

We get better pricing because we buy in bulk for the whole country. This is why privatized health care for profit is a problem. Most of our Dental/Drug plans through our employers cover the cost of this fully so there is no cost and just a minor dispensing fee depending on the pharmacy of $6-12 CDN (so 30% less on all these prices to convert to USD)

And yes our system isn't perfect, no system is. But being poor here doesn't mean you have to do without. And if you are critical there is no waiting period for anything despite what some naysayers on Fox say.
lol.gif

You are barking up the wrong tree. I lived in Sweden for a decade and I hated paying almost 32-36% of income (and wasn't making that great either, but we loved the place). I badmouthed like someone on Fox only until I had to use the service. Then I realized every penny paid in taxes was darn worth it. Here, we make decent to live comfortably but health insurance that actually does nothing costs us $1700/month.. I pay cash for the epipen, around $570. If I use my insurance, it costs me $800, go figure. I have to give one to school every year, whether they use it or not.

There is absolutely no remote possibility that the disease-care in the US will improve. Even those who struggle to pay for the medical bills re-elect officials that made their life difficult and fall for dog whistles. I am confused by this voter behavior beyond belief. I am not taking sides here, neither of the parties here in the US is for the people, period, whatever they may want to say.

Originally Posted by NO2
You can get the re-introduced Auvi-Q for free (no copay) with direct delivery. I'd also carry some Benadryl liquid (single dose for kids, but carry a few) as they are a lot easier to swallow than pills if your throat is constricted. Keep pills on hand too, especially on airplane flights where medical services may be hours away. You can download the Auvi-Q form at the web site.

https://www.auvi-q.com/

Great idea. I always carry allergy pills with me.. I never found Benadryl to be very helpful for itchy eyes and such but it does help knock down the swelling and keep the hives at bay. I discovered decades ago the secret of allergy pills is start early. If you wait until you're already scratching or blotchy it's almost too late to do much good. If you wait until it's already really bad it'll help but you end up having to more or less let it run its course in lesser fashion.
It's funny I've always been almost immune to the drowsy effects of allergy pills. I can eat those things and go in and do a double shift right through midnight and dayshift without any noticeable issues.
I guess I've had anaphylaxis many times over the years. It's funny the first time I didn't even know what it was I just ate some allergy pills and it slowly went away. The next day I look like I've been in a fight with yellow skin from the stretching and black eyes.
when I was in the army I tried to get them to give me allergy shots and they said no way. Then I showed up at guard mount one day Looking like I was Chinese. I just told him to leave me in the back of the SWAT van and leave me alone the rest of the day, they just would have to do without a sniper because I couldn't see through a scope if I tried. So they run me over to the medics and I get bent over and stabbed. The next day I really looked like I'd gotten stomped and it hurt like heck. I got my allergy shots though after they saw that stunt. I found out three months later why they make you stick around for a while at the doctors office once you've had those allergy therapy injections. When they got around to raising the dosage it launched me right into a full-blown attack about 10 minutes later and of course I get bent over again. The part that jerks my chain is that through this whole thing no one told me what it was or any of the grievous possible outcomes. In those days we carried atropine injectors on our belts . It was for defense against nerve gas exposure in the event of some terrorist using nerve gas to attempt to swipe a nuke. I suppose those would work just fine for anaphylactic reactions as well. Just pick a spot on your thigh, yank the cap and hit it and the spring does the deed straight through your pants. If I'd know about the choking to death part I'd have just carried it around but no, it's a secret! Morons🤬
After that every time I get a little dose of swelling it was much less and each time less thereafter so now I just eat a couple Benadryl and it's gone soon. Allergies do suck.

If I had to pay for the medical testing, drugs, and therapy for my back and lung problems over the years I would either have had my insurance premiums jacked through the roof or been cancelled (when this was possible) for being a high risk. Further I've never had to wait. When I got hurt at work the day of my back injury I was taken to hospital by ambulance, all the tests including an MRI run that day and then treatment options discussed. Within 48 hours I was transported home to start my recovery. I started physical therapy a month later when I had some mobility back and wasn't in excruciating pain to even get to the front door. Not because the system delayed my treatment, because I couldn't move. Literally.

My dad's cancer treatment. He went to doctor because he was passing blood. They rand tests and determined he had cancer and it was quite bad. They booked him for surgery immediately and he had as much of it removed as possible. Then was booked the following week for a follow up meeting with his oncologist and have been seeing him monthly as they kept it under wraps from getting worse for 6 full years. They knew there was no way to get it all but they could keep him stable for a period of time. The day has come where it has gotten worse and he will pass soon but my point is that he never did without and never waited an insane amount of time because he wasn't able to. It also costed him nothing directly and there was no fear of having to make payments on the insurance premiums each month to ensure his treatment because he contributed all his life as a tax payer.

My co-worker had both knees replaced within months of finding out she needed it for her pain. She was capable of working in the meantime but it was just uncomfortable. She wasn't critical and yes she waited months for it but it wasn't like she was stuck home unable to work collecting disability because the system was delaying her. The complete nonsense you hear in the news of people waiting years for knee surgeries or hip replacements has got to have more to the story that they aren't being truthful about because our family members or friends have had these surgeries and not waited more than a few months depending on their condition. My grandmother before she passed broke her hip and she had it replaced within a week.

Again the system isn't perfect, no system is. But given the experiences we both had and other family members fighting major illnesses like Cancer it's nice to know it's there when you need it and don't have to worry if you can't work to pay the premiums should you not be able to and all taxes considered it's the same as the U.S. pays. I frequently compare it to my brother in Boston and what he pays for health insurance and taxes and when you look at the full picture we are on par and sometimes slightly less all considered.

But don't take my word for it... Look at the many other countries that do it well. (Also not perfect systems but it functions quite well and it's always there for citizens that need it)

21.gif

Last edited:
I no longer get allergy shots, but did for ~10 years at a couple of different offices.

Every single place where I received allergy shots kept a bottle of epinephrine(adrenaline) in the same refrigerator where they stored the allergy shot vials.

For a medical professional(RN or NP/PA, which is who always actually administered the shots when I was getting them), I'd think the time to give an injection out of a vial would be minimal. After all, they're trained for it, and I'd think they would also prefer the flexibility of using a vial vs. an auto-injector.

It was my understanding that a severe allergic reaction(up to anaphalactic shock) is ALWAYS a very small but very real risk with allergy shots. I fortunately never experienced one, and don't know anyone who has, but that doesn't mean it can't happen-you are, after all, getting an injection of things that you are allergic to. It's also why most require you to wait in the office for a fixed amount of time after the shot and will check the injection site after that amount of time(my allergist said 30 minutes, and at least one place I went would set a timer to make sure you stayed that amount of time).

If anything, asking the patients to supply their own Epi-Pen seems risky to me, but then I'm not in the medical field or a lawyer. Still, though, in the office if someone had an allergic reaction, I'd rather the office trust their own vials of adrenaline than take a chance on the patient supplied ones being out of date(are you going to look at the expiration date when time is of the essence?) or not having been stored properly. The only thing I could think of is if it's to protect you AFTER you leave the office-but there again the purpose of waiting is because any reaction serious enough to require an epi-pen is most likely going to happen within 15-30 minutes of giving the shot. Anything else likely happens slow enough that you can-in the worst case-probably take benadryl and get to the hospital.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I no longer get allergy shots, but did for ~10 years at a couple of different offices.

Every single place where I received allergy shots kept a bottle of epinephrine(adrenaline) in the same refrigerator where they stored the allergy shot vials.

For a medical professional(RN or NP/PA, which is who always actually administered the shots when I was getting them), I'd think the time to give an injection out of a vial would be minimal. After all, they're trained for it, and I'd think they would also prefer the flexibility of using a vial vs. an auto-injector.

It was my understanding that a severe allergic reaction(up to anaphalactic shock) is ALWAYS a very small but very real risk with allergy shots. I fortunately never experienced one, and don't know anyone who has, but that doesn't mean it can't happen-you are, after all, getting an injection of things that you are allergic to. It's also why most require you to wait in the office for a fixed amount of time after the shot and will check the injection site after that amount of time(my allergist said 30 minutes, and at least one place I went would set a timer to make sure you stayed that amount of time).

If anything, asking the patients to supply their own Epi-Pen seems risky to me, but then I'm not in the medical field or a lawyer. Still, though, in the office if someone had an allergic reaction, I'd rather the office trust their own vials of adrenaline than take a chance on the patient supplied ones being out of date(are you going to look at the expiration date when time is of the essence?) or not having been stored properly. The only thing I could think of is if it's to protect you AFTER you leave the office-but there again the purpose of waiting is because any reaction serious enough to require an epi-pen is most likely going to happen within 15-30 minutes of giving the shot. Anything else likely happens slow enough that you can-in the worst case-probably take benadryl and get to the hospital.

This. A doctors office cannot guarantee how that Epi-Pen device was stored or a number of other things. They must have the medication on hand in case of anaphylaxis.

Also taking Benadryl orally for anaphylaxis is not a good idea. It takes too long. That is where epinephrine and corticosteroids come into play.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Also taking Benadryl orally for anaphylaxis is not a good idea. It takes too long. That is where epinephrine and corticosteroids come into play.

Of course it's not a good idea. However, often it's the easiest thing to do when the ideal medications aren't available. Most doctors have gone over this with their patients when dealing with severe allergies.

I remember someone going over a demonstration of anyphylaxis treatments, showing the instructions for how to inject a pre-filled epinephrine syringe. It also had this string that was supposed to be a tourniquet along with a few diphenhydramine pills. The complexity of that setup was compared to an EpiPen. I remember the joke was told about how much it was going to hurt with a spring-loaded needle jamming into one's thigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back