The Deep Clean Scam

I just got a call from that Dentist. My insurance declined the deep cleaning but they will be happy to work out a payment plan so I can take full advantage of the service. Can I come in tomorrow at noon....

Nope I said. The last thing I need is a cleaning right now with my tooth and jaw pain...
She was sad and never inquired how my situation was... didn't give a hoot..

So my statement of rip off or scam may be harsh for the legit dentist and for those that need those services and I will concede that without issue.

That said this dentist is a rip and a fraud and it's obvious they have no concern for their patients except for their wallets.. The secretary takes it so badly no doubt she is also getting a commission on the hard sell...

Seriously this just really happened 🤯

I applaud those who can do a DIY oil change for $20 (assuming they are scoring a "Supertech or better," oil and a filter. Not exactly sure how this relates to a dental cleaning charge of $2,000 and the price of dental equipment. That price seems high to me, based on my experience. $20 for DIY LOF seems a little low. I am sure it costs a fortune to equip, staff and insure a dental office. So what?
It relates when it comes to " mindset of costs" especially in regards to services performed by others.

I just got a call from that Dentist. My insurance declined the deep cleaning but they will be happy to work out a payment plan so I can take full advantage of the service. Can I come in tomorrow at noon....

Nope I said. The last thing I need is a cleaning right now with my tooth and jaw pain...

So my statement of rip off or scam may be harsh for the legit dentist and for those that need those services and I will concede that without issue.

That said this dentist is a rip and a fraud and it's obvious they have no concern for their patients except for their wallets.. The secretary takes it so badly no doubt she is also getting a commission on the hard sell...

I would keep calling dentist offices until you get one that just will do the work that needs to be done. Try less wealthy smaller towns nearby, as they can't just serve folks with insurance or folks who won't blink at a $2k wallet flush. Any places close by with migrant farm labourers? Figure out who they use. I'm sure the office won't be gleaming and have 3 secretaries out front, but low overhead means reasonable pricing is possible.

Deep cleans aren't covered in most insurances. Their front desk that works with insurance should have known that immediately when you told them your insurance information; I agree that dentist office is less than honorable.

My dentist...these reviews are easy to find but this beauty rings so true from my actual experience. Geez.... Sad...

Screenshot_20230809-183938~2.jpg

I'm ticked but I need to wait so my new dentist can get the x-rays first as I don't want to redo them. After I get fixed up I am going to file complaints...
It sounds bad but I may get cut off...I just don't want more x-rays..
hey @Zee09 I'm 100% in agreement with everything you've said. Was lurking, reading this thread.. Crazy, but it's the same thing as a dishonest mechanic for the car. Imagine you have an engine problem and the mechanic says "no, you need 4 new tires, and we can put you on a payment plan for those".. um.. hello?! anyone home in there!?? Talk about lacking any kind of reason or intelligence! Just about the money, scammers refer to scammers.. I like what you had to say about that.

Ever think that this so-called "dentist" isn't even licensed? Only doing cleanings, nothing else? A dental hygienist is licensed to do that.. Makes ya wonder if that's all they can do.. Be interesting to see what your state finds when you file those complaints!

I do hope you find someone soon, you were saying you've been dealing with this abscessed tooth for a week? If that infection gets into the blood, bad things happen. Maybe a mouthwash or something to help with the infection until you do like hydrogen peroxide. Or if if gets bad enough an emergency room? Or is that not a good idea?

I'll be praying for ya, buddy! (y)

I do hope you find someone soon, you were saying you've been dealing with this abscessed tooth for a week? If that infection gets into the blood, bad things happen. Maybe a mouthwash or something to help with the infection until you do like hydrogen peroxide
Swishing with warm salt water may help.

hey @Zee09 I'm 100% in agreement with everything you've said. Was lurking, reading this thread.. Crazy, but it's the same thing as a dishonest mechanic for the car. Imagine you have an engine problem and the mechanic says "no, you need 4 new tires, and we can put you on a payment plan for those".. um.. hello?! anyone home in there!?? Talk about lacking any kind of reason or intelligence! Just about the money, scammers refer to scammers.. I like what you had to say about that.

Ever think that this so-called "dentist" isn't even licensed? Only doing cleanings, nothing else? A dental hygienist is licensed to do that.. Makes ya wonder if that's all they can do.. Be interesting to see what your state finds when you file those complaints!

I do hope you find someone soon, you were saying you've been dealing with this abscessed tooth for a week? If that infection gets into the blood, bad things happen. Maybe a mouthwash or something to help with the infection until you do like hydrogen peroxide. Or if if gets bad enough an emergency room? Or is that not a good idea?

I'll be praying for ya, buddy! (y)
Many thanks!!
Not being licensed did occur to me after the last call. They had no interest in anything but the cleaning. Never asked and never cared. I'm sure we will get beat up here for saying this.

I suspect after the root canal if I went back they may send me to another dentist. So I'm not going back. Makes you think.

I read of another dentist in the area that does nothing but x-rays and cleaning and refers you out for everything else

Back