Man...no wonder misinformation is prevalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
S'ok I was talking to the manager of the local Chevy dealership looking for a job washing their massive inventory of cars, the manager seemed interested and was asking me a bunch of questions. When a car salesman heard me say I was interested in a job with them, he literally started LAUGHING. I mean he was almost crying he was laughing so hard. I REALLY had a few choice words I would have liked to said to that donkey-puka. But of course I kept my mouth shut. Anyway the guy at the local NAPA was trying to tell me how I needed to run MERCON V in my cavalier, not Dexron VI. Wow.

You should have turned around and casually stated to him that if he, and people like him had been doing THEIR job, you wouldn't have had to help foot the 75 billion dollar bill for GM's bail-out
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
S'ok I was talking to the manager of the local Chevy dealership looking for a job washing their massive inventory of cars, the manager seemed interested and was asking me a bunch of questions. When a car salesman heard me say I was interested in a job with them, he literally started LAUGHING. I mean he was almost crying he was laughing so hard....

Maybe they treat their staff really poorly and he was trying to warn you?

Last edited:
A couple of years ago. I was buying M1 oil and picked up a Fram oil filter. Ya, I know, I didn't know better. The AZ guy talked me out of the Fram; saying they were -- and I should get the M1 filter. Sometimes they're helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
A couple of years ago. I was buying M1 oil and picked up a Fram oil filter. Ya, I know, I didn't know better. The AZ guy talked me out of the Fram; saying they were shlt and I should get the M1 filter. Sometimes they're helpful.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

That said, on the few trips to an AZ (to get GC and BC for no good reason - still haven't used either) the help appeared rather knowledgeable (dealing with others). That may be THAT one AZ.

i just got back from my local AZ and ended up chatting with a district mgr who was there. we debated the "euro" oils for a bit and i asked him his opinion of the valvoline racing oils. he seemed to know his stuff pretty well and did say that the synthetics are more alike than different. turns out he's a Mobil guy and runs 0w-30 in his WRX.

Just think that guy chose to work at Auto Zone. I always ask them to show me their elbow then to show me their [censored]. Few get it right first try.

Originally Posted By: noi8u
Porsche does recommend 0w40 across the line now, but why a 0w when a 5w is usually good to 25 below or Amsoil ACD 10w30 is good to 30 below? Not to mention BMW M models use 10w60. I just think that a 0w weight oil is more likely to get in the combustion chamber.

I would think the 0w is there b/c that more than likely indicates it's a synthetic (no non-synthetic 0w that I know of), whereas a 5w or 10w could be anything. The M engines seem to really beat on oil when driven hard, so the heavier 60 allows the temperature to not thin it out severely; probably more important to have that at the top end vs. low temperature start.

Porsche does recommend 0w40 across the line now, but why a 0w when a 5w is usually good to 25 below or Amsoil ACD 10w30 is good to 30 below?

They still pump at that temp. That doesn't mean they're good at that temp, or that a 0w isn't better.
wink.gif

Not to mention BMW M models use 10w60.

Special case, and they use a very advanced and specifically designed oil.

I just think that a 0w weight oil is more likely to get in the combustion chamber.

Nope.

Originally Posted By: ediamiam
should have offered to take all inventory off their hands for a major discount

+1 thats what I would have done

"You'd better be careful there..."

"That stuff will leak out of your motor like water."

"Why would you want to use that 0W stuff when there's perfectly good 20W-50 in those orange bottles on the shelf there."

"And you need a bottle or two of the 'Motor Honey' to thicken it up. What you want is some straight 50W."

Haha!

Just kidding. Its very frustrating when uninformed people try to 'educate' others. Scary thing is, many take their advice seriously. I refuse to argue with them, since they won't listen. I can't see being mean to them, since they are well meaning, but misinformed. I think you did the best thing by politely ignoring his advice. Having the other dude chortle would annoy me though.

Funny thing is, I was in a Autozone today and that motor honey stuff was hanging right by the motor oil. I can't believe how thick it is.

Whereabouts in Chicago-land was the store you went to? I was in the one in Des Plaines this evening.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Jon 'Uncle_Olaf'

Originally Posted By: speedbump47
Was in a Chicago-land Autozone today, trying to get GC and one of the older (ie, someone I'd expect to be somewhat experienced) employees saw I was trying to buy a 0w oil and tried to talk me out of it. Said 0 weights were developed by Ford just to get slightly better fuel economy and that he wouldn't use it even in something he thought was about to die. To add insult to injury, another customer (seemingly a regular) snickered at the thought of someone using a 0 weight.

As I still insisted I wanted to buy it, he started talking about how if I went home and did some research like he had done, I wouldn't be so keen about buying such a light oil.

With advice like that, I guess it was no wonder there were tons of GC stock on the shelf.

well thank you for sharing that. my self esteem is up because now i found someone dumber than me
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Olaf
"You'd better be careful there..."

"That stuff will leak out of your motor like water."

"Why would you want to use that 0W stuff when there's perfectly good 20W-50 in those orange bottles on the shelf there."

"And you need a bottle or two of the 'Motor Honey' to thicken it up. What you want is some straight 50W."

Haha!

Just kidding. Its very frustrating when uninformed people try to 'educate' others. Scary thing is, many take their advice seriously. I refuse to argue with them, since they won't listen. I can't see being mean to them, since they are well meaning, but misinformed. I think you did the best thing by politely ignoring his advice. Having the other dude chortle would annoy me though.

Funny thing is, I was in a Autozone today and that motor honey stuff was hanging right by the motor oil. I can't believe how thick it is.

Whereabouts in Chicago-land was the store you went to? I was in the one in Des Plaines this evening.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Jon 'Uncle_Olaf'

amen

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Olaf

It wasn't Des Plaines (it was in a western suburb), but I'd rather not say exactly where, since I'd hate to more specifically ID the guy despite his ineptness (as it was said, he was trying to be helpful despite his high and mighty attitude).

Last edited:

Porsche does recommend 0w40 across the line now, but why a 0w when a 5w is usually good to 25 below or Amsoil ACD 10w30 is good to 30 below? Not to mention BMW M models use 10w60. I just think that a 0w weight oil is more likely to get in the combustion chamber.
Why, its about 120 weight when cold. Logic please? Its just a 30 wt oil that doesnt overly thicken when cold. With this logic, you shouldnt start your car when its hot since the oil is about 100X thinnner than 0W at its ref temp. Remeber its 0W not zero weight. Just a vague indication of its cold pumping viscosity. MAN API has got to change this completely misunderstood winter grading thing - just put a cold flow temp on there - like the CCS temp at 6000 kinematic; like -30/30 or -40/20

Last edited:
The line of the 0w getting past the rings easier might be due to the fact that it likely has more VIIs than a 10w-30.

When I go in to buy oils or other products I get a ton of garbage. I listen to them and then ask where they get their information. I then suggest they visit my web site to get some accurate information that is backed by fact and not just "this is what my buddy told me". I buy BITOG approved products. I respect the opinion of the members more than strangers that think all females are stupid.

Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back