Man...no wonder misinformation is prevalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in a Chicago-land Autozone today, trying to get GC and one of the older (ie, someone I'd expect to be somewhat experienced) employees saw I was trying to buy a 0w oil and tried to talk me out of it. Said 0 weights were developed by Ford just to get slightly better fuel economy and that he wouldn't use it even in something he thought was about to die. To add insult to injury, another customer (seemingly a regular) snickered at the thought of someone using a 0 weight.

As I still insisted I wanted to buy it, he started talking about how if I went home and did some research like he had done, I wouldn't be so keen about buying such a light oil.

With advice like that, I guess it was no wonder there were tons of GC stock on the shelf.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: speedbump47
With advice like that, I guess it was no wonder there were tons of GC stock on the shelf.

Hey, more GC for the rest of us who can appreciate it, right?

To be honest, the last BMW mechanic I went to also threw a hissy fit when I told him I use 0w-30 oil in my car. He wanted me to use 10w-40.

Yeah...it was just getting a bit sanctimonious. I was tempted to either write down Bitog's URL or tell him to google German Castrol when HE got home.

Was in a Chicago-land Autozone today, trying to get GC and one of the older (ie, someone I'd expect to be somewhat experienced) employees saw I was trying to buy a 0w oil and tried to talk me out of it. Said 0 weights were developed by Ford just to get slightly better fuel economy and that he wouldn't use it even in something he thought was about to die. To add insult to injury, another customer (seemingly a regular) snickered at the thought of someone using a 0 weight.

As I still insisted I wanted to buy it, he started talking about how if I went home and did some research like he had done, I wouldn't be so keen about buying such a light oil.

My favorite part is how smart these people act/feel when they say this stuff...

I was tempted to either write down Bitog's URL or tell him to google German Castrol when HE got home.

I would have. No need to hold back on those types, dish out the ownage.
grin2.gif

You should have come out with Acea A3, centistokes, Polyalphaolefins, etc, etc and finished it up by telling him to stick to testing batteries.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I was tempted to either write down Bitog's URL or tell him to google German Castrol when HE got home.

grin2.gif

You should have come out with Acea A3, centistokes, Polyalphaolefins, etc, etc and finished it up by telling him to stick to testing batteries.

lol!

Well, if they really think they know....

This happen to me with Durablend at a local AZ....

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
It probly would do no good. they aren't listenin!

It isnt about getting them to listen, its about overloading them with information and getting their relatively small brain to hard lock, like happens when police utilize a flash-bang.

Next time say, "Um, I'm not putting this in an engine." "Me and my Mrs. use it in the bedroom."

I bet that would shut him up.

S'ok I was talking to the manager of the local Chevy dealership looking for a job washing their massive inventory of cars, the manager seemed interested and was asking me a bunch of questions. When a car salesman heard me say I was interested in a job with them, he literally started LAUGHING. I mean he was almost crying he was laughing so hard. I REALLY had a few choice words I would have liked to said to that donkey-puka. But of course I kept my mouth shut. Anyway the guy at the local NAPA was trying to tell me how I needed to run MERCON V in my cavalier, not Dexron VI. Wow.

Porsche does recommend 0w40 across the line now, but why a 0w when a 5w is usually good to 25 below or Amsoil ACD 10w30 is good to 30 below? Not to mention BMW M models use 10w60. I just think that a 0w weight oil is more likely to get in the combustion chamber.

Last edited:
Said 0 weights were developed by Ford just to get slightly better fuel economy and that he wouldn't use it even in something he thought was about to die. To add insult to injury, another customer (seemingly a regular) snickered at the thought of someone using a 0 weight.

Light oil? Are they meeting energy conserving specifications now? I'd have to correct him on his use of the term "weight" to describe a winter rating, but he is right about one thing: 15W-40 and 20W-50 are far more appropriate for a dying engine!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

grin2.gif

I've DONE THAT with a PZ sales rep when he did a demo at the WM TLE I worked at. Got him to admit I knew far more than him, and I should be talking to their technical staff, not him.

It was a small BITOG victory......

Does GC only come in 0W30? If so,why don`t they have other weights,like a 0W40? Just a lil curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back