M1 EP vs PP vs PUP 0w20

Is EP worth paying the parts store premium for? No. All things being equal, M1 EP would be my choice out of the oils you listed IF you can find it for a reasonable price (Walmart / Amazon). If availability or pricing is an issue I'd go with either standard Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Either of those should be consistently easier to find and at a better price. All of these offerings IMO are top tier and are hard to go wrong with. Just pick your favorite and stick too it. I've never been one to switch back and forth on oils.

Are you sure that was POE? Esters typically aren't called out on an SDS, since they are non-hazardous (that's why we never see them). However, ZDDP often IS called out, and it's an ester.

I went back through the older SDS sheets and I see Alkaryl amine in many of them, is that perhaps what you were thinking of?
View attachment 112497
Yes that what I am thinking of . Zddp can be considered ester too if I am not mistaken zddp ester has different cas and names than Alkaryl amine .

Last edited:
I see no need for high mileage oil. I'd go with the EP.
Unless you can't find it. I switched to high mileage for a while since the regular was never in stock. Now it seems to be on the shelf again. I didn't notice a difference between M1 0w20 High mileage and the regular.
FWIW I run this in my 2006 Ford Focus 2.0L that I commute to work in. 264k and runs quiet and like new. 10k OCI and no oil consumption. Currently just changed my 2019 F-150 5.0 over to it as well.

Last edited:
Unless you can't find it. I switched to high mileage for a while since the regular was never in stock. Now it seems to be on the shelf again. I didn't notice a difference between M1 0w20 High mileage and the regular.
FWIW I run this in my 2006 Ford Focus 2.0L that I commute to work in. 264k and runs quiet and like new. 10k OCI and no oil consumption. Currently just changed my 2019 F-150 5.0 over to it as well.
Haven’t been able to find regular AFE or EP in either my local Walmart or the closest auto parts store. Never really bought into HM oils but I’ve always gone to M1 first over other brands. Kinda strange. But, I moved out here fairly recently and I was always able to find both pretty much anywhere before.

Haven’t been able to find regular AFE or EP in either my local Walmart or the closest auto parts store. Never really bought into HM oils but I’ve always gone to M1 first over other brands. Kinda strange. But, I moved out here fairly recently and I was always able to find both pretty much anywhere before.
Hopefully it will be more readily available now. Local Wal-Mart had several 5qt jugs recently. I bought 2 for my F-150. Trying to use the same oil in both if I can.

Is EP worth paying the parts store premium for? No. All things being equal, M1 EP would be my choice out of the oils you listed IF you can find it for a reasonable price (Walmart / Amazon). If availability or pricing is an issue I'd go with either standard Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Either of those should be consistently easier to find and at a better price. All of these offerings IMO are top tier and are hard to go wrong with. Just pick your favorite and stick too it. I've never been one to switch back and forth on oils.
I will EP parts store premium is worth when 1 qts including their store deal where like for advance auto parts bundle where get m1 ep and premium oil filter like m1 , fram fs ( old ultra) for $42.99 will give $15 gifts card rebates =27.99 then premium oil fram or m1 cost $8.79 Will let $19.20 5 single qts ( is helpful if car take 6 to 7 or any other odd qts oil.)

I used to use Mobil products all the time as did my dad. Somehow I moved away from it and don’t know why.
In my 2019 Ram hemi I started with PUP, went to valvoline and then Royal Purple (all 5w20) always trying to minimize or eliminate the occasional lifter tick on startup. None worked.
Last week I switched to Mobil1 5w20 EP and a Mobil1 113A synthetic filter. So far, after almost 1,000 miles I have not heard any lifter ticking. Also, my oil pressure is more stable and increased 1-2 psi depending on engine rpm.
So, I’ll have to wait and see but I think it’s better.

Last edited:
I was going to pick up a jug of M1 EP 0w20 for its POE and low pour point for the Elantra for the winter but no one had it here. Went with M1 EP HM 5w30 because of its -54C pp. No POE listed on the SDS like the 0w20 but the PP makes me think there is.

Back