M1 0W40 FS (updated formula) vs PPE 5W40 (API SP)

Here are the specifications for the US product, they appear to be similar if not identical to the product in your picture. So yes it is the same.

Specifications and Approvals​

This product has the following approvals:
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
Nissan Genuine Performances
Porsche A40
VW 502 00
VW 505 00

This product is recommended for use in applications requiring:
API CF
FIAT 9.55535-M2
VW 503 01

This product meets or exceeds the requirements of:
AAE (STO 003) Group B7
API SJ
API SL
API SM
API SN
ACEA A3/B3
ACEA A3/B4

Unfortunately, now that I'm on vacation I've been overthinking oil again and I couldn't resist making another "choose my oil" post to see if there's any relevant information I've missed.
This time, it's between Mobil 1 0W40 FS and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. (I know there's a 5W40 version of the M1 and vice versa which would make for a more relevant comparison, but these two happen to be readily available near me at similar prices.)

From what I can gather, the most notable differences are:
  • Different base stocks
    • M1: 30-40% PAO + 40-50% group 3 base stocks (per the recent SDS found in Overkill's post)
    • PPE: 80-90% GTL (based on Feb. 2021 SDS which is the most recent I could find on Shell's website)
  • Detergent (?) additives
    • M1: predominantly Ca, ~3500ppm in VOA of what I assume is the previous GTL-based SN formulation
    • PPE: far less Ca (~1400ppm) but with Mg (~1100ppm), both figures quoted from VOA for SP formulation
  • Pour point
    • M1: -60°C
    • PPE: -45°C
These oils will be used in BMW M62 year round (winter temps down to -20°C). This is a naturally aspirated, port injected engine which only sees regular street use, so I'm more fo

cused on cold weather performance than KV, HTHS, etc. I don't think LSPI is a concern, either.
Based on datasheet figures alone, M1 seems to be more suitable but PPE has LL-01 (2018) approval which apparently includes a timing chain wear test on the N20, perhaps making it the logical choice especially considering that the two engines share a reputation for fragile timing chain guides.

Is there any case to be made for favouring one oil over another based on datasheets, when the other has the relevant manufacturer approval?
Which is the PAO?

ACF0C9A6-FA94-413E-B5C5-D69E28A5FFED.jpg
D5206FB0-547D-450E-8E27-0F58B3F42B05.jpg

Here are the updated 2022 SDS sheets for Australia, Canada, and the USA. They differ from Europe. Check the upper right hand corner for which is Imperial Oil in Canada and which is Exxon Mobil in Australia. The last two are for the USA. The CANADA and USA ones are Mobil 1 FS 0w40. The one for Australia was marked Mobil 1 10w40, so not positive on that one.
The range is from 10% to less than 20%, which legally can be 10%, much less than in Europe.

AEC53D3B-B015-4578-B4C9-2C9C4ECA008B.png
CC096466-E57F-463B-BAE2-318AFF450EEE.png
0E3ABB1F-1DB1-4BE0-B6AC-D00763BCC42A.png
DD1799B6-8B54-4959-8B66-93D5E2FF263E.png
8900A4EA-62F8-4696-AAAB-692DE8BA9D73.png
7F259A3C-BB76-4A36-9EA8-E2D99103BCFA.png

Last edited:
Here are the updated 2022 SDS sheets for Australia, Canada, and the USA. They differ from Europe. Check the upper right hand corner for which is Imperial Oil in Canada and which is Exxon Mobil in Australia. The last two are for the USA. The CANADA and USA ones are Mobil 1 FS 0w40. The one for Australia was marked Mobil 1 10w40, so not positive on that one.
The range is from 10% to less than 20%, which legally can be 10%, much less than in Europe.

View attachment 93700View attachment 93701View attachment 93702View attachment 93703View attachment 93705View attachment 93706
Yes, I know, that's why I specifically stated Europe. Australia is a bit of a wild card, so I didn't bother bringing it up.

The weird bit is that both versions are "current", but Mobil has stated, unequivocally, that the product formula is global, so... 🤷‍♂️

The only thing that stood out for me was that the European versions all changed recently. That is, they used to have the lower PAO content as shown in the North American PDS sheets, but then it increased significantly. The North American sheets got new dates, but the figures all stayed the same. That's what caused me to posit, in the thread I made about this subject, that the North American sheets just weren't properly updated, while the European ones were. Would also seem to align with the updated Pour Point for the product too.

Wonder why Exxon Mobil offers different 0W40 variants... Seems like American version still has Porsche A40 approval, while Chinese version doesn't. Due to demand or something else?

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for Central America
Screenshot_20220729-230805.jpg

Mobil 1 0W-40 for China
Screenshot_20220729-230520.jpg

Chinese version is not as good. KV100 13.5 but HTHS 3.6! Those are not good numbers. Pour point -45. Probably Group III and it cannot pass Porsche test.

What I don't understand yet is how great the influence higher sulphate bag really has. The description says at mobil1 that it is suitable and made for direct injection. The a40 Porsche test also presised internal engine cleanliness even after 160 operating hours. If you have no problems with LSPI, then you can also use this oil in the Turbo gdi, right?

What I don't understand yet is how great the influence higher sulphate bag really has. The description says at mobil1 that it is suitable and made for direct injection. The a40 Porsche test also presised internal engine cleanliness even after 160 operating hours. If you have no problems with LSPI, then you can also use this oil in the Turbo gdi, right?
LSPI is a TGDI phenomenon and leans heavily on programming.. Not all TGDI suffer from LSPI. In any case Mercedes Benz allegedly has a LSPI test for their 229.5 spec which is what M1 FS would fall under.

I don't know the specifics of their LSPI test or whether one could apply it to engines from other makes.

Mercedes' tests only refer internally to their engines and do not allow any conclusions to be drawn that prevents the 229.5 standard LSPI. If an engine has no problems with LSPi, fullsaps will probably not be a problem with this engine.

LSPI is a TGDI phenomenon and leans heavily on programming.. Not all TGDI suffer from LSPI. In any case Mercedes Benz allegedly has a LSPI test for their 229.5 spec which is what M1 FS would fall under.

I don't know the specifics of their LSPI test or whether one could apply it to engines from other makes.
They have a test for MB229.52 and MB229.72.

Mercedes' tests only refer internally to their engines and do not allow any conclusions to be drawn that prevents the 229.5 standard LSPI. If an engine has no problems with LSPi, fullsaps will probably not be a problem with this engine.
Legally, you cannot draw conclusions. Some could apply to API then as test is done on Ford EcoBoost which does not have LSPI problems.
But, to prevent LSPI it is also about the whole additive package. Euro oils have high concentrations of other additives that help prevent LSPI.

Back