LSJr's Video Testing Data - Pennzoil and Quaker State's Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s interesting is that PZ black label is not Dexos rated. You have to step up to PP to get Dexos. That being said, maybe PZ black label does meet Dexos requirements but PZ doesn’t pay to license it. Meanwhile, QSFS is Dexos and less expensive than PZ black label. My guess is PZ didn’t want black label to canibalize PP sales, but wanted to offer PZ fans (who wouldn’t buy QS) a less expensive synthetic option.

Maybe I missed it, but does anybody know if QSUD is GTL?
I agree with your thoughts on how their positioned.

Quaker State Ultimate Protection is what their premium stuff is now. That's a good question. It seems to have more "Check Marks" then their other products. It's rated for 20k or 1 year.

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/p...1Yzg5MjIwMzFkNDM5NGYzNmRmODk1OC9pbmRleC5odG1s

Last edited:
Quaker State Ultimate Protection is what their premium stuff is now. That's a good question.

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/p...1Yzg5MjIwMzFkNDM5NGYzNmRmODk1OC9pbmRleC5odG1s

Sorry I meant QSUP, not QSUD.

Based on VOAs, the QSFS and QSUP add packs were pretty similar. I figure if UP was using GTL I’d think we would see less additives in theme with GTL not requiring as many additives.

We can see the regular PZ full synthetic (non platinum) all the way to the left doesn't use GTL & comes with the same 300k warranty as QSFS does. I'd bet that QSFS is equivalent to the basic PZFS.

To summarize this video's comparison. The additional benefits of GTL are:
  • Platinum would "Protect Horsepower"
  • Platinum High Mileage comes with "Protects Horsepower, Reduce Oil Consumption, & Conditions Seals".

Also, We see that Pennzoil Euro uses GTL base oil for those that were asking.

Pennzoil Comparison Link

I see QS and Pennzoil similar to many auto manufacturers with their standard and premium offerings (i.e. Honda vs. Acura, Chevy vs. Buick, Nissan vs. Infiniti, etc.) The bones of the products are similar but with some unique features between the two with of course different marketing to target a different demographic. But dig deep, there's a lot of overlap/similarities between the two products. A top spec "standard" brand can out perform a base spec "premium" brand.

Look at Shell's product descriptions on their page. It's pretty clear on who they want to market their products to for the general public:

Quaker State:
Your vehicle works hard, your oil should too. Quaker State offers a complete line of motor oils, from full synthetic to high mileage to conventional, to protect passenger cars and light trucks and keep them running strong.

Pennzoil:
Pennzoil pushes the limits of technology. Breaking barriers, pioneering firsts, and defying convention is what we do best. As the number one name in motor oil, Pennzoil offers a range of innovative products to protect and optimize passenger vehicles and high-performance racing engines..

Certain QS products (QS Euro FS or UP FS) may have GTL but won't be advertised as such but Pennzoil not only has more GTL offerings (P Euro FS, UP FS, P FS) in more grades, but advertise as such because that's part of the tiered marketing strategy. Or do it a different way by changing the additive packaging to achieve the same goal of top licenses/approvals. But similar to auto manufacturers, there's some trickle down tech going on without the flashy marketing for the "lesser" brand. Unfortunately, we have less transparency with motor oils than auto manufacturer spec sheets and rely on word of mouth or VOA/UOA's to draw conclusions.

He already has a favorite boutique oil & it's not hpl,
Lake is very familiar with us. Stay tuned

IMG_5582.jpeg

Last edited:
Lake is very familiar with us. Stay tuned

View attachment 201300
He's always mentioning Driven oils in his videos. I've just never heard him mention HPL but that doesn't mean he's not familiar with you. Nice to see they're not afraid to try new oils? I don't really know if they're actually using your oil outside of an advertisement sticker on the race car though. :)

Last edited:
Sorry I meant QSUP, not QSUD.

Based on VOAs, the QSFS and QSUP add packs were pretty similar. I figure if UP was using GTL I’d think we would see less additives in theme with GTL not requiring as many additives.

No worries, I forget how to spell my name on Monday's sometimes 🙃.

Getting side tracked on which conversation here so pardon some of my responses.trying to edit them. GTL doesn't mean it will automatically get lower add pack. Take the Platinum vs Ultra example. One gets lower add pack but the Ultra get's more as it's positioned to go further work harder but their both GTL.

If you want to push your oil longer or harder their Ultra full synthetic gets more additives then Platinum. Obviously Ultra being the top offering to go the distance it would need more.

Last edited:
I see QS and Pennzoil similar to many auto manufacturers with their standard and premium offerings (i.e. Honda vs. Acura, Chevy vs. Buick, Nissan vs. Infiniti, etc.) The bones of the products are similar but with some unique features between the two with of course different marketing to target a different demographic. But dig deep, there's a lot of overlap/similarities between the two products. A top spec "standard" brand can out perform a base spec "premium" brand.

Look at Shell's product descriptions on their page. It's pretty clear on who they want to market their products to for the general public:

Quaker State:
Your vehicle works hard, your oil should too. Quaker State offers a complete line of motor oils, from full synthetic to high mileage to conventional, to protect passenger cars and light trucks and keep them running strong.

Pennzoil:
Pennzoil pushes the limits of technology. Breaking barriers, pioneering firsts, and defying convention is what we do best. As the number one name in motor oil, Pennzoil offers a range of innovative products to protect and optimize passenger vehicles and high-performance racing engines..

Certain QS products (QS Euro FS or UP FS) may have GTL but won't be advertised as such but Pennzoil not only has more GTL offerings (P Euro FS, UP FS, P FS) in more grades, but advertise as such because that's part of the tiered marketing strategy. Or do it a different way by changing the additive packaging to achieve the same goal of top licenses/approvals. But similar to auto manufacturers, there's some trickle down tech going on without the flashy marketing for the "lesser" brand. Unfortunately, we have less transparency with motor oils than auto manufacturer spec sheets and rely on word of mouth or VOA/UOA's to draw conclusions.
That's a good way to present the different ideologies. I do wonder now if QSUP 20k mile oil is GTL though. It has more "Checks" than the rest of their offerings. I wish they'd tell us but then they'd lose money on their Pennzoil brand b/c we'd just buy the QS for less money.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
He's always mentioning Driven oils in his videos. I've just never heard him mention HPL but that doesn't mean he's not familiar with you. Nice to see they're not afraid to try new oils? I don't really know if they're actually using your oil outside of an advertisement sticker on the race car though. :)
Considering the fact that we don’t write checks to any of our race teams it is only logical to understand they use our oils.

Wait, whose race car is that?
That’s Matt Hartford’s Pro Stock car. Matt Hartford owns Total Seal piston rings out of Phoenix. Matt employs Lake Speed Jr as well as Scott Diehl who were the two people behind Driven. All of us collectively have a very good relationship which will only get better as time goes on.

This car will debut in Bradenton Florida for the Pro Shootout. The pictures are week premature but it answers a question.

David

You should ask him about your boys at Triax, lol 😁

There is no API Group III+ so yes. There are only Groups I, II and III in terms of basic hydrocarbons, and the distinction is based on performance. Any method of production is acceptable.

Exxon-Mobil used to have a “super Group III” base stock (Visom) that wasn’t a GTL product.

Is your attitude improvement medication the “ + “ version or just the “ regular “ version ? :LOL:

I think you may need to upgrade to the “ + “ version… May well be more effective.

I’m just messing with ya and giving you a hard time.

I agree.....but as I stated previously he doesn't seem to care that his expensive Porsche has oil without 'approvals and certifications' required by Porsche.....
I guess I don't see the problem here running PUP. It's his ride, he's had a PUP vs PP VOA analyses done with a vid showing the results. After the analysis he said was going to "give it a try" because he liked what he saw in the results. Also, I'm not certain of the Boxster year, warranty may not be a factor. Either way, clearly for him certs and approvals, not concern. Iirc from reading, there are some members here that also prefer using PUP without some certs and approvals, over PP with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back