LSJr's Video Testing Data - Pennzoil and Quaker State's Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my thinking too but still doesn't explain why they offer 500k warranty w/GTL vs 300k warranty w/GRP III.
Which makes sense. I imagine if GTL was found in that QS product?
To make you spend more per oil change and feel good about it?
I liked the vid. What I got from it, GTL Pennzoil Plat ad pack. vs non-GTL QSFS add pack. Just depends on ones preference, perhaps oci, and what you want to spend.

Yeah, LS Jr, a bit long winded.
I agree. I didn't click the video because I also don't think much of Lake Speed, but its interesting to know one is in fact GTL and one isn't. Does it matter much - not to me, but I still find it interesting.

Thanks for posting!!

We can see the regular PZ full synthetic (non platinum) all the way to the left doesn't use GTL & comes with the same 300k warranty as QSFS does. I'd bet that QSFS is equivalent to the basic PZFS.

To summarize this video's comparison. The additional benefits of GTL are:
  • Platinum would "Protect Horsepower"
  • Platinum High Mileage comes with "Protects Horsepower, Reduce Oil Consumption, & Conditions Seals".

Also, We see that Pennzoil Euro uses GTL base oil for those that were asking.

Pennzoil Comparison Link

Screenshot 2024-02-02 12.40.15 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Previous vid he sent 20 yr old unopened oil for UOA. People were wondering if shaking this old oil would alter the results and make it suitable for use. Of course the oil he was pouring out of these sealed containers was already dark in color. :rolleyes:
What was he attempting to test? Obviously the base stock would not change, and FT-IR gets a bit complicated with particles.

Previous vid he sent 20 yr old unopened oil for UOA. People were wondering if shaking this old oil would alter the results and make it suitable for use. Of course the oil he was pouring out of these sealed containers was already dark in color. :rolleyes:
How would unopened oil work in a UOA?

What has the color to do with the quality or the analysis of the oil?

Not the same, QS is not using Gas to Liquid while Pennzoil is.
But yet they carry the same approvals and certifications, correct? So the real result is, they’re statistically identical. GTL may be more advanced but there’s no differences that can statistically prove GTL is “better”. Yes, GTL is good. But so is QS. That’s the point of approvals and certifications.

But yet they carry the same approvals and certifications, correct? So the real result is, they’re statistically identical. GTL may be more advanced but there’s no differences that can statistically prove GTL is “better”. Yes, GTL is good. But so is QS. That’s the point of approvals and certifications.
I agree.....but as I stated previously he doesn't seem to care that his expensive Porsche has oil without 'approvals and certifications' required by Porsche. Even I (who have run 17 year old oils in my (older) vehicles) wouldn't chance that on a $100,000+ vehicle.
FWIW....I think the typical family hauler, commuter car, minivan, pickup truck etc...will run 200K, 300K etc... on either of these oils or any other off the shelf full synthetic if reasonable OCIs are followed...because they really are 'statistically identical'.

What was he attempting to test? Obviously the base stock would not change, and FT-IR gets a bit complicated with particles.
IIRC looking for changes in and whether the oil was suitable for use. For example some of the anti-foaming agent had separated which obviously is a problem. From what I understand these containers allow the passage of o2 and water vapor so I imagine there was some amount of oxidation judging by the dark color. I think commenters were saying that shaking the oil up would bring the addpack back into suspension and the oil would be fine so he's doing a OA on that as well..

Last edited:
I agree.....but as I stated previously he doesn't seem to care that his expensive Porsche has oil without 'approvals and certifications' required by Porsche. Even I (who have run 17 year old oils in my (older) vehicles) wouldn't chance that on a $100,000+ vehicle.
FWIW....I think the typical family hauler, commuter car, minivan, pickup truck etc...will run 200K, 300K etc... on either of these oils or any other off the shelf full synthetic if reasonable OCIs are followed...because they really are 'statistically identical'.
What makes you think he uses that oil in his Porsche?

IIRC looking for changes in and whether the oil was suitable for use. For example some of the anti-foaming agent had separated which obviously is a problem. From what I understand these containers allow the passage of water vapor so I imagine there was some amount of oxidation judging by the dark color. I think commenters were saying that shaking the oil up would bring the addpack back into suspension and the oil would be fine so he's doing a UOA on that as well..
Shaking the container would bring the settled particles back into suspension yes, but according to Pennzoil it takes heat to put them into solution.

How would unopened oil work in a UOA?

What has the color to do with the quality or the analysis of the oil?
The addpack in the 20 yr old sealed bottles had fallen out of suspension so an OA was going to show how that changed the oil. The oil itself was very dark except for the 1970's era Mobil 1 in the can*. That oil was not as dark. It was later suggested in BITOG that the HDPE containers allow some transfer of oxygen and water vapor over time. IOW 20 yrs in a warm humid garage is probably the worst way to store it.

*It was so old that the formula contains no ester. Just PAO with Gr1 carrier for addpack.

Last edited:
Shaking the container would bring the settled particles back into suspension yes, but according to Pennzoil it takes heat to put them into solution.
The particles can't get into solution if they're not in suspension. Do I understand that correctly?

The particles can't get into solution if they're not in suspension. Do I understand that correctly?
Difference between Solution and Suspension - A solution is a homogeneous mixture, and a suspension is a heterogeneous mixture. The particles in a solution are much smaller and are dissolved in a solvent, therefore staying mixed together. In a suspension, the particles are large, do not dissolve, and will separate.

We can see the regular PZ full synthetic (non platinum) all the way to the left doesn't use GTL & comes with the same 300k warranty as QSFS does. I'd bet that QSFS is equivalent to the basic PZFS.

To summarize this video's comparison. The additional benefits of GTL are:
  • Platinum would "Protect Horsepower"
  • Platinum High Mileage comes with "Protects Horsepower, Reduce Oil Consumption, & Conditions Seals".

Also, We see that Pennzoil Euro uses GTL base oil for those that were asking.

Pennzoil Comparison Link

View attachment 201285

What’s interesting is that PZ black label is not Dexos rated. You have to step up to PP to get Dexos. That being said, maybe PZ black label does meet Dexos requirements but PZ doesn’t pay to license it. Meanwhile, QSFS is Dexos and less expensive than PZ black label. My guess is PZ didn’t want black label to canibalize PP sales, but wanted to offer PZ fans (who wouldn’t buy QS) a less expensive synthetic option.

Maybe I missed it, but does anybody know if QSUP is GTL?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back