LSJr's Video Testing Data - Pennzoil and Quaker State's Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The base stocks are different; QS grp III vs PZ GTL.
The common additives are different; more in the QS vs the PZ.
They both are certified to the same Dexos standard; two roads to the same destination.
The takeaway is that higher quality base stocks require less additives to achieve the same task.

Though not discussed, there are also additives which will not show up in ICP or other typical analysis methods.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone who's been on BITOG for more than a week.
Thank you. That was very informative.

It would be very helpful for all of us to understand the advantages of GTL based oils over regular Group III Full Synthetic oils.

From my limited knowledge, I 've heard GTL oils:

- Flow faster in extreme cold weather.
- Resist extreme heat better to prevent varnish/sludge.
- Have less evaporative loss.
- GTL oils are nearly as good as PAO Group IV oils, and that GTL oils don't shrink oil seals the way PAO based oils have been rumored to do.

Please correct any mis-statements' I've made above, and add more advantages / disadvantages for anything I've missed in the list above.

I watch his videos, I think it's good entertainment. I think he upsets some "experts" on this forum because in reality he probably knows more than they do. I recently switched over to Quaker State.
Yes, I'm really taking a serious look at Quaker State as well. If value is defined as (Quality / Price), Quaker State might have the highest quality per dollar spent of any oil.

Last edited:
Who specs 5w30?

I bet my current fave 10W30 Quaker State FS was GTL

Look at the MRV and PP -

QSFS 10W30.jpg

People on here have said that the QS is gtl. I believed it. Would the Euro formulas be any different?
Also I've heard from other BIGOG posters that the Quaker State Full Synthetic Ultimate Protection (marketed as a 20,000 mile oil) is GTL.

Just looked at Shell's MSDS download page and all the QS products have this 0-90% listing included as the "base oil" with variances in the cSt and add pack. How "interchangeable" is interchangeable? Including Fischer-Tropft? This is from 10w30, but I also looked at 5w30, 5w50, 5w20 and 0w20.

1706892042204.jpg

1706892203066.jpg

A bigger snip from 5w50
1706892490812.jpg

Just looked at Shell's MSDS download page and all the QS products have this 0-90% listing included as the "base oil" with variances in the cSt and add pack. How "interchangeable" is interchangeable? Including Fischer-Tropft? This is from 10w30, but I also looked at 5w30, 5w50, 5w20 and 0w20.

View attachment 201258

View attachment 201259
A bigger snip from 5w50
View attachment 201261
It’s as interchangeable as API Annex E permits, without re-licensing. It’s based on the base oil VI, and level of saturates and sulfur.

Annex E states that the method of manufacture is irrelevant. People put great importance on this but it doesn’t matter. What matters is the performance.

It’s as interchangeable as API Annex E permits, without re-licensing. It’s based on the base oil VI, and level of saturates and sulfur.

Annex E states that the method of manufacture is irrelevant. People put great importance on this but it doesn’t matter. What matters is the performance.
So it could be GRP III+ without saying Fischer-Tropsch in the MSDS? I'm not familiar with API requirements.

This is the SDS I have fo QSFS 5w-30. Its dated 2020. Isn't this saying its GTL? I am not an expert on this - this is a question not a statement?

View attachment 201248
That chart is almost four years old and made when SN Plus was first introduced.

I never assumed Quaker State had GTL Gas. Why?..... because they never mentioned it on their five quart jugs. The 2 different Pennzoil Platinums always did.

That chart is almost four years old and made when SN Plus was first introduced.

I never assumed Quaker State had GTL Gas. Why?..... because they never mentioned it on their five quart jugs. The 2 different Pennzoil Platinums always did.
Correkt.

So it could be GRP III+ without saying Fischer-Tropsch in the MSDS? I'm not familiar with API requirements.
There is no API Group III+ so yes. There are only Groups I, II and III in terms of basic hydrocarbons, and the distinction is based on performance. Any method of production is acceptable.

Exxon-Mobil used to have a “super Group III” base stock (Visom) that wasn’t a GTL product.

Mainly because it might, or it might not, or maybe it does today and not tomorrow, or maybe tomorrow it will. Or maybe next week. Or maybe not.

And I’m not trying to make that into a bad thing. It’s just how base stock works when it’s based on performance.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that nobody pointed out LS Jr. is using PUP which doesn't meet Porsche spec. in his Porsche especially since it's on the very thin side of the 30W scale at 9.9 @100*C. I do notice that the QS is on the thicker side at 11.9 @100*C and if I had a Porsche I'd lean that way if I was going to run a non-spec'd oil (which I wouldn't do in a Porsche but might in a VW 2.5 5 banger).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back