Looks like M1 EP 5w30 formulation has possibly changed.

What ever change happened. Was it cost related to manufacture, performance related or certification related? Mobil 1 makes good stuff but does not need to give BITOG any answer.

Check the four-digit formulation number on the date stamp. If it has changed, the formulation has changed. If it hasn't changed, the formulation hasn't changed.

Moreover, regardless of the base-oil composition, M1 EP is simply an a lot better oil than the vanilla M1 and M1 Truck & SUV because it has a lot more antioxidants (AO) for extended OCIs.
Last but not least, I would like to add that I do not think the formulations have changed, but what ExxonMobil chooses to report or not have changed. I don't think they are required to report PAO and/or GTL. Don't consider an MSDS as a recipe—it is not.

Again, check the four-digit formulation number on the date stamp for the actual formulation—not to be confused with the four-digit label numbers next to the QR codes, the latter of which identify the front and back labels, not the actual formulation.

Last edited:
After I push the limits of commonly available motor oils I wanna try something that has lots of PAO's. Is Redline still a true PAO synthetic?
If you saw the UOAs for the Red Line High-Performance, you wouldn't want to try it. The Red Line High-Performance is only meant for racing, not for regular driving. It could strip away the lead in your bearings if you use it regularly.

If you want PAO and POE, there is the Amsoil Signature Series and certain Ravenol oils. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-16 and 0W-20 used to be mostly PAO and AN, but I'm not sure now.

I was just browsing on Mobil 1's website today and decided to look at the Safety Data sheet for the Mobil 1 EP 5w30. It looks like the SDS was revised on June 8, 2022, which is two days ago.

I remember looking at the EP 5w30 SDS couple months ago and I know I saw 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED in the SDS (probably 10% at most), but It looks like they got 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED (PAO) off the list from the EP 5w30 as of June 8, 2022. The ingredients table for the EP 5w30 looks identical to vanilla M1. No one will know what they are hidinc from the ingredients list because of "trade secrets", but I would think the information is accurate. There is no more PAO in EP 5w30.

Did anybody see this? I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed.

Is Mobil 1 possibly removing PAO/AN from their products? Is it a supply issue? As many of us know, over the years, many M1 products stopped using PAO/AN. It looks like EP 0w20 is the only one left that I know of.

I am curious to see what will happen to EP 0w20, because EP 0w20's SDS hasn't been revised in almost a year. Many people have been praising EP 0w20 for a long time, but I have a feeling EP 0w20 will possibly become more "similar" to all the other EP products.

Anyhow, just trying to see what opinions people have about this recent revision.
It was always a good oil but maybe needed improvement. Anyone have any info or thoughts?

If you saw the UOAs for the Red Line High-Performance, you wouldn't want to try it. The Red Line High-Performance is only meant for racing, not for regular driving. It could strip away the lead in your bearings if you use it regularly.

If you want PAO and POE, there is the Amsoil Signature Series and certain Ravenol oils. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-16 and 0W-20 used to be mostly PAO and AN, but I'm not sure now.
I agree. It's not very good for mainstream modern vehicles in my opinon based on UOAs an ppls opinions on here. It's great in ultra high performance vehicles I'm sure that never see high mis etc

Why would Red Line High Performance strip away the lead in the bearings?

I agree. It's not very good for mainstream modern vehicles in my opinon based on UOAs an ppls opinions on here. It's great in ultra high performance vehicles I'm sure that never see high mis etc
Redline is VERY popular on the track. But for everyday driving, I would skip engine oils. I use their D4 in my BMW stick, and it is excellent stuff.
Even on the track, if it is once a month thing, Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil 5W40 etc. would do the trick.
I had excellent results with Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 on track.

That valvoline doesn't have pao nor poe either.
Uh, yes, I know. I was running it previously because of the moly but switched to Mobil for the PAO. Now that the Mobil doesn't have it anymore, I am going back to the Valvoline. I think you assumed I thought the Valvoline had PAO. My point was that without Mobil having PAO I see no reason to not continue with the Valvoline I was using before.

Why would Red Line High Performance strip away the lead in the bearings?
I don't know. It's probably lead corrosion due to a formulation issue. It has a lot of POE, and perhaps that along with an improperly matched additive package is causing the problem.

I asked them that a while back. Some type of corrosion but could be inconsequential. It's been discussed a lot on here. Tbn drops off quickly too. I still think it's more of a racing/track oil than daily driver. Oddly enough it does really well in certain motors where Tbn does not drop and Pb is low. never understood why.

Last edited:
Interesting. The reason I picked up EP for the next change on my Accord was due to PAO. It takes 0w20 though so hopefully I'm in the clear, but who knows really. All the name brands have solid formulas but we are here to split hairs. Thus the reason I went EP! If they take out the PAO I may be inclined to switch brands.

Uh, yes, I know. I was running it previously because of the moly but switched to Mobil for the PAO. Now that the Mobil doesn't have it anymore, I am going back to the Valvoline. I think you assumed I thought the Valvoline had PAO. My point was that without Mobil having PAO I see no reason to not continue with the Valvoline I was using before.
Valvoline full syn has PAO ? In what ratio..where did you hear /read this? Just curious. Thanks.

What's an extreme cold climate anymore? Northern Canada!? I'm in Western Ohio we had a 2.5mo winter at best (I love the seasons!) an a looong Spring. Using any good brand full synthetic @ a reasonable OCI will yield good results.
While I can not disagree with those points but what if you didn't live in an extreme cold climate? What if you changed your oil a 5 to 10,000 mile intervals? We aren't wearing our engines out using any of the oils the majors are Marketing .

Interesting. The reason I picked up EP for the next change on my Accord was due to PAO. It takes 0w20 though so hopefully I'm in the clear, but who knows really. All the name brands have solid formulas but we are here to split hairs. Thus the reason I went EP! If they take out the PAO I may be inclined to switch brands.
There's a ton of real good full syn oils out there. I think a reasonable OCI is more important here than a change of oil brands. Both Mobil 1 & Valvoline are very good. I've used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for yrs in both my TGDI vehicles w/ great success! The oil analysis on that oil is excellent too. Maybe try that? It's a step up from Valvoline & Mobil 1 silver bottle (possibly EP too) by most so called "oil experts" opinions. Amsoil Signature Series picks PUP as its main competitor in its marketing even. I'm not a fan of the boutique oils for 99% daily drivers out there. Most the majors beat those in the important tests anyhow.

I asked them that a while back. Some type of corrosion but could be inconsequential. It's been discussed a lot on here. Tbn drops off quickly too. I still think it's more of a racing/track oil than daily driver. Oddly enough it does really well in certain motors where Tbn does not drop and Pb is low. never understood why.
Rapid TBN drop will cause lead corrosion. Lead corrosion is not inconsequential, as it results in bearing wear.

TBN retention: Are we missing the point?—Chevron Oronite

Therefore, this sounds like a formulation issue—a detergent and/or an antioxidant improperly matched to the base oil.

Back