Looking for first person story: My warranty denied because of oil used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is this, if you’re a good customer of the dealership...you buy cars there, your family buys cars there, you get your cars serviced there. You will get everything covered under warranty. It wouldn’t matter if you had never changed that oil in 50,000 miles. The warranty claim person and General Manager of the dealership would have a conversation, it’d be covered. They’d find a way. If they’re not a customer of the dealer? Good luck. Not saying it’s right.
And this folks is why so many of us are watching gleefully from the sidelines as we watch the dealership sales model crumbling under the pressures of the new vehicle shortages. Direct to consumer auto sales cannot come soon enough.

Not so sure about that based on some of the comments and stories here. If there was an engine failure, even it not caused by the oil. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealership tried to deny the warranty if they found out the engine had 5W-30 instead of the recommended 0W-20 in it. They look for any excuse, even if the failure isn't actually related to the oil being used.
Depending on the dealer and the nature of the issue etc., yes.

There have been stories on the truck boards of guys having lifts on their trucks and warranty work being denied because of the lift even if the warranty work in question had nothing to with the suspension.
So yea.

One thing that needs to be mentioned-is that this can be Dealer Specific many times. If you have a long standing relationship with a dealer-then they can look the other way.

Yea-but I would agree this thread is pontification and hot air mostly-replying to some other comments by others above.
This is the case more often than not w/r to warranty and mods or variation from service (the subject here). My car is modded out and have had things replaced under warranty that likely wouldn't be at other dealers b/c I know the tech at the dealer plain and simple. The issue here is the worst case scenario of a blown motor (which is so unlikely I can't believe it's debated like this all over the internet) and in that case, manufacturers aren't going to likely go willy-nilly and want to see some evidence that it was maintained according to their standards including the oil used regardless of whether it has anything to do with it. The reason you don't see this issue is because motors don't blow up statistically and the ones that do are just odd balls out past the tail of the curve....

That is illegal in the US and can and should be fought with a lawyer who understands Magnuson-Moss. In all likelihood that would be a couple hundred bucks for the lawyer to write a letter and the dealership would comply. I've seen this happen first hand and I've read more that few stories online about this exact situation.
MM is touted all over the internet as the end-all-be-all of "that's illegal to do that" w/r to aftermarket modifications. MM was all about making it so manufacturers (this is w/r to autos...MM is about a lot of things in addition to) couldn't force you to use their parts/service to maintain the warranty - so you can use that Fram filter and M1 oil as long as it meets the manufacturer's requirements. That's it. Aftermarket performance parts/modifications are a different animal and not part of what MM is intended to do or can be used for. Now that doesn't mean you can't fight that the lowering springs on my wagon don't impact the secondary air injection valve that failed when they want to deny my claim - but they can deny it for the ECU tune for sure.

The Engineers don't really spec the oil, if they did, you'd arguably have a range of viscosities in the manual, like things used to be. I know I've brought it up many times, but we have several examples of where the oil recommendation changes significantly depending on the perceived usage profile. The Mustang GT for example, back when the Track Pack was available, the "regular" GT spec'd 5W-20, the "Track Pack" version with the same engine, but a less conservative thermal castration mechanism, and oil cooler, spec'd 5W-50.

Of course the "regular" mass produced HEMI spec's 5W-20, while its HD and high performance siblings spec 0W-40, despite sharing myriad components. Clearly, usage profile weighs in there.

Engineering recommendations are kneecapped by CAFE regulations which mandate a single spec oil grade.
But what they would do is test the recommended lighter oils and ensure that things are ok for some XYZ mileage and say "yes, this will not blow up in XYZ miles".

The same statement is in all the Toyota manuals. Toyota's way of saying a thicker oil gives added protection - Toyota engineers still understand Tribology and how viscosity/HTHS related to added engine protection.

And it pretty much leaves it up to the owner to decide what higher viscosity to use. Whip that out on a dealership that wants to deny warranty because a thicker oil was used ... see what they say.

View attachment 113649
The challenge here is - it really says "you need to use 0W16" more or less and I read that in the "...it much be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change." This is the muck that your lawyer and EWs would be using to present that you can in-fact use higher viscosity oil in the car and maintain the warranty but the "high speeds/extreme load conditions" could bring their own warranty issues...

And this folks is why so many of us are watching gleefully from the sidelines as we watch the dealership sales model crumbling under the pressures of the new vehicle shortages. Direct to consumer auto sales cannot come soon enough.
No doubt - the franchised dealer model is dead/almost dead IMHO. Dealers will be tech centers and delivery centers.

The challenge here is - it really says "you need to use 0W16" more or less and I read that in the "...it much be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change." This is the muck that your lawyer and EWs would be using to present that you can in-fact use higher viscosity oil in the car and maintain the warranty but the "high speeds/extreme load conditions" could bring their own warranty issues...
Per the OM verbage, the 0W-16 is "recommended" ... not "required". It never says you "need" to use 0W-16. The bulb about changing it back to 0W-16 at the next oil change is all CAFE.driven - no technical reason involed.

If any vehicle manufacterer wants to deny warranty for not using the "recommended" viscosity, they better change the wording to say "xW-yy viscosiy is required" or "manditory" is be used to maintain warranty.

Can anyone pull up an OM that specifically makes it clear that a certain viscosiy is "required" or "manditory" (or any similar words) to maintain wartanty?

Last edited:
Per the OM verbage, the 0W-16 is "recommended" ... not "required".

If any vehicle manufacterer wants to deny warranty for not using the "recommended" viscosity, they better change the wording to say "xW-yy viscosiy is required" or "manditory" is be used to maintain warranty.

Can anyone pull up an OM that specifically makes it clear that a certain viscosiy is "required" or "manditory" (or any similar words) to maintain wartanty?

You probably won’t see that verbiage in any owners manual.

The engine will run fine on 0W-16.

If the verbage that xW-yy viscosity is "Recommended" then it's not going to hold up if a battle goes to court. "Recommended" does not mean required or manditory. Especially when there's an additional statement about using thicker oil for harsher driving situations.

read the underlined bit, that comes after that.
There's no Autobahn with areas of unrestricted speed in the US, so 99.99999% of drivers won't be meeting those conditions to justify using heavier oil.

That 0.00001% that would meet the requirements, Toyota would likely nail the owners for Misuse or abuse and not have a warranty claim approved by ToyMoCo, since the technician would have to pull ECU recorded data as part of the justification for the warranty claim. The warranty manual that comes with your toyota still applies.

There's no Autobahn with areas of unrestricted speed in the US, so 99.99999% of drivers won't be meeting those conditions to justify using heavier oil.

That 0.00001% that would meet the requirements, Toyota would likely nail the owners for Misuse or abuse and not have a warranty claim approved by ToyMoCo, since the technician would have to pull ECU recorded data as part of the justification for the warranty claim. The warranty manual that comes with your toyota still applies.
It does also state extreme loads ;) (not just high speed).

The bigger point is that Toyota themselves are ceding that a heavier oil, under more demanding conditions, is a better choice, even if the official recommendation is 0W-16 (which it has to be, it can't be a range of grades, due to CAFE requirements).

Yes because as we’ve seen here the CAFE award letter requires the automaker to strongly discourage the use of any oil that was not the one used to obtain the fuel economy target. It’s not because of a technical requirement that the other grade is better, required for the engine or somehow that the engine was designed for that grade. The technical requirement is shown in the recommendation of a heavier grade for heavier use.
Heavier use aka Severe Service has its own requirements and requires 5,000 mile oil changes instead of 10,000 miles. Having a cargo box on the car is considered to be severe service.

High speed and high loading, there will be a small percentage that will meet that requirement. And since the computers in the cars record information, that a technician can download and submit it as part of a warranty claim, it would likely be denied, due to other terms in the warranty manual that comes with your toyota, which can fall under misuse and abuse. Toyota has denied warranty claims based on the computer recorded data before on other items.

And let's not forget the ECU controlled variable discharge oil pump that is tuned to 0w16, not heavier weight oils. Because if the ECU thinks you're running a 16-weight oil, and you're not, then you can run into insufficient lubrication problems.

It does also state extreme loads ;) (not just high speed).

The bigger point is that Toyota themselves are ceding that a heavier oil, under more demanding conditions, is a better choice, even if the official recommendation is 0W-16 (which it has to be, it can't be a range of grades, due to CAFE requirements).
Read the warranty manual. It's obvious you didn't bother before you made your response.

Extreme loads can be considered to be misuse, which is not covered by the Toyota warranty.

Read the warranty manual. It's obvious you didn't bother before you made your response.

Extreme loads can be considered to be misuse, which is not covered by the Toyota warranty.
Being a bit pretentious (and I can think of another p-word that might fit) doesn't change the relevance of what I stated in regards to what Toyota is ceding with that verbiage.

I don't get the attitude you are using here. I used a smiley, you rolled out some rather overt unpleasantness that is not well received. I was NOT rude with you, I'm not sure why you felt compelled to not maintain that civility in kind.

We aren't discussing the intricate details of Toyota's warranty booklet. Yes, I'm sure they've given themselves an "out" if conditions that could be considered abuse are encountered, but that doesn't change the validity of the statement being highlighted that is really quite simple in terms of what it states.

I'm curious why they mention it at all, since, if anything, it would likely confuse your typical end user. Other marques don't tend to make similar statements, so while it's a valid statement, I'm not sure what value it provides for your typical Toyota owner.

Last edited:
And let's not forget the ECU controlled variable discharge oil pump that is tuned to 0w16, not heavier weight oils. Because if the ECU thinks you're running a 16-weight oil, and you're not, then you can run into insufficient lubrication problems.
The Toyota variable volume oil pump isn't "tuned" to anything. Remember, viscosity is far more dependent on temperature than what's on the bottle. Toyota uses a couple of different variable displacement oil pump designs, the one I suspect you are thinking of is listed under Type 2 here:

Which operates using a number of parameters (temperature, RPM) to manipulate oil volume relative to some predetermined levels for load and RPM. It's basically a more advanced version of the Type 1 design that used stepped delivery to decouple volume from RPM; provide relief earlier on in the RPM range over the traditional relief mechanism, because that volume was unnecessary in that RPM range.

With the more advanced pump, the effective size of the pump is changed instead of the relief pressure; the volume of oil displaced per revolution is manipulated. But this is still a positive displacement oil pump, it doesn't matter if that oil is 10W-30 or 0W-16, as long as the relief isn't engaged, it's moving the same volume of oil per revolution on whatever setting it is functioning at, so there would be no risk of insufficient lubrication, you just wouldn't be getting the fuel economy benefits that Toyota was shooting for with this design, as you'd, typically, unnecessarily, be adding pumping losses.

From the WRX thread of the same tone..."required". In before lock.
Capture.JPG

Toyota wouldn't put that statement in the OM about using higher viscosiy oil for more severe use conditions under the assumption that people are going to be mis-using the vehicle to the point of voiding their warranty. It just goes to show that Toyota engineers know that more viscosiy protects the engine better any time it's being driven above a benign level. If the Toyota engineers thought the "recommended" oil gave the same engine protection level under all use conditions, they wouldn't have included that statement in the OM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back