Looking at a used 3rd row SUV. GX460 or Tahoe like.

Am i crazy for considering paying $10k a 250k 2003 Lexus GX460 from a rust-free state? That has a lot of records, rear air suspension swapped for normal shocks. 3 timing belts and few suspension items replaced.

I'm on the hunt for 3rd row SUV mainly for family hauling. Our tiguan is only a 4 seater ( 2 baby seats in the rear) and we often need room for 5-6 people. Looking in the used market of around $10-13k. We live in the rust belt so I'll probably travel down south for something that's not a complete rust bucket.

We also kicked around a minivan but not sure if we are there yet. We don't do towing or anything. But would like to spend less time working on cars and more time driving them. I understand that $10-13k market will have a list of repairs. But as long as they are simple fixes that any shop can do we are happy.

I really like the 2003-2009 GX 470 and the 2000ish Tahoe (GMT800), GMT900 are fine too but i like the older round look.

Histroiclly, I've always bought vehicles with under 60k and drive them up to about 125-150k until the rust takes over the underside or repairs> cost of replacement. But this is new to me to consider something 150k plus and driving until it blows up.

I don't know what it is with the older full-size GM SUV's, but it seems a lot of them have their windows down in hot weather like the AC is broken.

Am i crazy for considering paying $10k a 250k 2003 Lexus GX460 from a rust-free state? That has a lot of records, rear air suspension swapped for normal shocks. 3 timing belts and few suspension items replaced.

I'm on the hunt for 3rd row SUV mainly for family hauling. Our tiguan is only a 4 seater ( 2 baby seats in the rear) and we often need room for 5-6 people. Looking in the used market of around $10-13k. We live in the rust belt so I'll probably travel down south for something that's not a complete rust bucket.

We also kicked around a minivan but not sure if we are there yet. We don't do towing or anything. But would like to spend less time working on cars and more time driving them. I understand that $10-13k market will have a list of repairs. But as long as they are simple fixes that any shop can do we are happy.

I really like the 2003-2009 GX 470 and the 2000ish Tahoe (GMT800), GMT900 are fine too but i like the older round look.

Histroiclly, I've always bought vehicles with under 60k and drive them up to about 125-150k until the rust takes over the underside or repairs> cost of replacement. But this is new to me to consider something 150k plus and driving until it blows up.

Its a reliable vehicle, but I would be concerned over which parts are NLA (or soon to be NLA) through Toyota/Lexus now.

I was helping someone with a 1st gen Tundra recently (same vintage as the GX you are considering), and the OE brake master cylinder is now NLA. Aftermarket is the only option. Lots of trim and interior parts as well. Denso no longer makes an aftermarket fuel pump for it, so I suspect the OE pumps won't be far behind. Just something to keep in mind.

The 3rd row on a GX is pathetic, I permanently removed mine to recover a bit of storage space. I wouldnt count on carrying american sized people back there.

We also kicked around a minivan but not sure if we are there yet.
We don't do towing or anything. But would like to spend less time working on cars and more time driving them. I understand that $10-13k market will have a list of repairs. But as long as they are simple fixes that any shop can do we are happy.

You already answered your question: If you want to move people most comfortably, buy a minivan.

The 3rd row on a GX is pathetic, I permanently removed mine to recover a bit of storage space. I wouldnt count on carrying american sized people back there.
If i can move one car seat back there. I have no tried to put one in the 3rd row but i hope i can.

You already answered your question: If you want to move people most comfortably, buy a minivan.
Maybe so, i need to brush up on my minivans to see whats the most reliable one or the options to avoid. I think they all have door roller issues.

What about the vw atlas. I sat in the very back seat and was pleasantly surprised on how roomy it was.

I think you would have trouble finding a decent GX470 down here for <$13K without something wrong. The nice ones with 300K miles are selling for that it seems - maybe. But as mentioned, the 3rd seat is a joke.

In that price range will post again the 1st Gen Nissan Armada from a rust free state (and take the stoning that comes with that recommendation here :p)

Or the 3rd gen Pathfinder with the VQ40 (even better) but you need to find 2011 or 2012. Earlier models had some issues that you want to avoid if your not familiar. Also equally crappy 3rd row however.

Or a Grand Marquis (3 in front, 3 in back)

Or a minivan.

You would find a minivan a more suitable vehicle for this use.
When we had two kids at home and a big dog, we had a minivan and it worked great, a '97 Aerostar we bought new for a song. My expectations of this Ford were not high but it proved to be very reliable and other than tires and brakes I replaced the starter and that was it for the thirteen years and 180K or so we had it.
I know that a Tahoe or GX would seem to be vehicles that many would rather be seen driving, but it's really all about utility and what works for you and your family.
A minivan would also suck a whole lot less fuel and 10K would buy you one considerably younger with far fewer miles. However well anything may have been maintained, things do break at random with both time and miles.

We bought a 05 Yukon XL 4wd with the 5.3 motor and automatic. Had 7 people and one baby seat. It get 18mpg on the highway and around 16 in mixed driving It has 220K miles and uses no oil and everyone was comfy cause it has front and rear air. I wanted a mini van but we have all had a good time with this vehicle. It rides very smooth and quiet. Paid $3300 for it and have spent about $1500 on it before we went to Florida on vacation and now we just got back from a Cincinnati vacation. No body has complained about being the driver.

To my limited scope, the only 3rd row SUVs that have true advantage in the last row are the EXTENDED Yukons and expediations. The standard sized bodies usually have something like an elevated floor which effectively make the 3rd row no bigger than a mid-size SUV.

We went through this. We settled on a used GenIV Chrysler town and country. In my limited experience, Yukon XLs and suburbans can start to develop ghosts in the machine, fatigued wiring, odd errors that sometimes are difficult to find as they pass 200-250k … hit the railroad tracks and it stalls. No bueno with wife and 4 kids. Nope. Minivan was FAR more effective at providing equitable seating throughout, and sliding doors with kids trying to flow in and out are simply next level while keeping the price down. Chrysler 3.8 would lay down two very sweet strips of rubber on the ground, and suspension maintenance or even HD shocks in the back make for a vehicle that can scoot around in Atlanta traffic pretty good for travel ball.

My experience is dated - this was what I went through 13 years ago.

To my limited scope, the only 3rd row SUVs that have true advantage in the last row are the EXTENDED Yukons and expediations. The standard sized bodies usually have something like an elevated floor which effectively make the 3rd row no bigger than a mid-size SUV.

We went through this. We settled on a used GenIV Chrysler town and country. In my limited experience, Yukon XLs and suburbans can start to develop ghosts in the machine, fatigued wiring, odd errors that sometimes are difficult to find as they pass 200-250k … hit the railroad tracks and it stalls. No bueno with wife and 4 kids. Nope. Minivan was FAR more effective at providing equitable seating throughout, and sliding doors with kids trying to flow in and out are simply next level while keeping the price down. Chrysler 3.8 would lay down two very sweet strips of rubber on the ground, and suspension maintenance or even HD shocks in the back make for a vehicle that can scoot around in Atlanta traffic pretty good for travel ball.

My experience is dated - this was what I went through 13 years ago.
The new IRS GM platform has a much lower floor and a bigger cargo area. Not going to find one for $10k though.

I have a popular car buying service called 48 Hours And A Used Car on Facebook.

I also co-developed the Long-Term Quality Index which has nearly five million vehicles inspected by mechanics all over the country since 2013. Cars have been a big part of my life for a very long time at this point.

My recommendation? An 8 to 10 year old Nissan Armada with the 5.6 Liter V8.

https://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Nissan_Armada.html

Excellent long-term reliability. They can seat eight with a bench or seven with captain's chairs.

One caveat. I would look for the best maintained one in an area with smooth roads. Tennessee, non-coastal Georgia, inland South Carolina. You can get a good one with 100,000 miles on it.

I focus on 2016 and newer vehicles with under 60,000 miles so I wouldn't be able to help you in that price range of yours. But I hope you find a dandy.

Back