Kreen cleaning sneak peek - 1st dose - 800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it 3,000 miles, and see, you might have to repeat the process. I see a slight difference nothing dramatic. I can tell you from my own experience the process is slow and the cleaning continues into the next oil change even if Kreen is not added. I updated the "My Kreen Test" thread although the pictures aren't as good as yours. I ran 16 ounces for 1000 miles and dumped it. I will be adding another 16 ounces in a few weeks at the end of this OCI.

Have you noticed a change in the color of your oil? Mine was more of a brown varnish color, much different than normal.

I can see the difference in the ARX pics. I don't see what kreen did.

I'm sure kreen is a fine product, though. Not everything works for everyone.

Here's a thought, give it 13,000 miles and 4 oil changes. lol

All kidding aside if it doesn't work take them up on their no questions asked satisfaction guarantee. Your pictures could be used as proof at the end of the experiment if things don't work out, or if they have any questions. I'd be willing to bet you'd get a refund for used and unused product with no hassles at all.

And if Krano Labs balks at refunding his money, we will be back to the square one :-( By the way, returning the unused portion is going to be tough as it is considered hazardous material. It will cost OP more than the original price of the material to send it back.

But in any case, OP should use up all the material and give it full oil change length and then start the refund process.

If the rest of the glowing reviews are taken at their face value, Krano Labs would probably be so shocked at getting a refund request that they would have no established procedure to handle this dissatisfaction toward their product :)

By the way, many months ago, somebody else started the similar process and even after many many repeated reminders, we never got the Kreen "after" pictures.

Last edited:
Its not so much the miles but the time. 1000 miles in 2 days probably isn't going to do much of anything with any product.
The solvents that can remove the varnish flash off fairly quickly in a hot engine.

Try this..
Next time you take the cover off spray a small area with carb cleaner and see if it removes the varnish without rubbing it.
If it does Kreen will work, if not it probably will not because its in the pores of the metal.

I have had a few engines where it didn't remove the varnish and i had to do it manually, others it did.
The ones it didn't needed a very harsh chemical that i use to clean injectors and cannot be run in an engine for even a second.
I wont disclose the chemical because anyone reading this onlne may decide its safe to try. It isn't, its extremely dangerous and can burn or blind you.
Once clean it needed to be flushed out with kerosene then oil.

From the look of your engine its more trouble than its worth to do this as it doesn't have any running issues.

They will refund your money without sending them anything back.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

By the way, many months ago, somebody else started the similar process and even after many many repeated reminders, we never got the Kreen "after" pictures.

If you're referring to me I updated the thread the other day, if you're referring to someone else I can't help you.
smile.gif

Of course not you Frank, it was somebody else. It was very promising in the beginning because his pictures showed the sludge but he resisted the urge to manually clean and decided to let Kreen do the job. But we never got the after pictures. I don't think that guy has visited the forum in months. I used to bump the topic weekly but finally gave up.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Artem
I'd rock some M1 0w40...
whistle.gif

M1 was the cause of my engine looking like this in the first place
27.gif

I believe that like I believe Elvis lives under my bed, LMAO! The cause is the engine being a "known sludger"
smile.gif
I think the fact that it is this filthy despite going out of your way to maintain it speaks volumes as to just how flawed this design was.

Agreed, although i've seen plenty of decent (cleaner then mine) looking 1MZ engines posted on here as well as the web to show that not every engine suffers from sludge. Perhaps it's driving conditions + an obvious flawed design are to blame.

I'd rock some M1 0w40...
whistle.gif

M1 was the cause of my engine looking like this in the first place
27.gif

I believe that like I believe Elvis lives under my bed, LMAO! The cause is the engine being a "known sludger"
smile.gif
I think the fact that it is this filthy despite going out of your way to maintain it speaks volumes as to just how flawed this design was.

Agreed, although i've seen plenty of decent (cleaner then mine) looking 1MZ engines posted on here as well as the web to show that not every engine suffers from sludge. Perhaps it's driving conditions + an obvious flawed design are to blame.

I would say that this is a reasonable conclusion to reach based on the evidence we have at hand.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Whats funny is improvement or not, what you're seeing is absolutely of zero concern to the operation of the engine or anything else.
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Thanks Artem, you are always doing something cool:!
I see some difference but as others have said don't mess with the viscosity of the oil too much trying to get this thing cleaNER. It already is pretty darn clean. Thanks again though!!
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Whats funny is improvement or not, what you're seeing is absolutely of zero concern to the operation of the engine or anything else.

these were my thoughts as well..
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
So you tried arx,now this stuff,with basically the same results thus far.
I cannot comment on safe dosage as I've never used either product but if it took 225k to get to this point I don't think its going to get clean overnight.
was there an issue with how the engine was running?If not I gotta ask why bother?
MMO gets good reviews for cleaning albeit it isn't a quick clean,it takes many miles,but it is gentle,which on a high mile engine I would look for a slow type cleaning additive,as not to compromise a potentially failing gasket and such.
If you figure you've got a strong dose,or too strong a dose maybe change out the oil with pyb or valvoline conventional and try it again.
I definitely agree with the cali comment.

Fellas, I realize that the small amount of build up in the corner does not effect anything performance wise. I'm not out to help the engine run better by doing the cleaning. I'm out to find a cleaner that WORKS! A cleaner that will clean up the build will be a winner in my book and i'd hope that this information will help others who are out to clean their engine.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Artem have you ever ran an HDEO in that engine ?? I love it that you can pop that valve cover off, so we have real world examples of products and their effects. Thank you !

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I see improvement, it is defiantly doing something...

Cleaning the inside of a motor takes time, I would have done the regiment for at least 2k before taking before and after pics.

I'll pull the cover as often as needed during this test. I've pulled the poor thing probably 10 times already. Still using the same 120k old gasket. Minimal seepage...

The only reason i pulled the cover off @ 800 miles is to "sneak a peek" at the cleaning that i thought Kreen would be doing.

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
The buildup on the edge where it has more of a chance to get with moisture and stick is not the same environment as hotter and/or moving parts, under pressures elsewhere. that being said, for kreen dosing to "pick on" your circled part so early on shows it IS doing work. May i also add: If its banned in Cali, it works.

And what about the other "green stuff" that's allowed in Cali?
45.gif

We will see just how good this stuff is as the time and miles are racked on.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Give it 3,000 miles, and see, you might have to repeat the process. I see a slight difference nothing dramatic. I can tell you from my own experience the process is slow and the cleaning continues into the next oil change even if Kreen is not added. I updated the "My Kreen Test" thread although the pictures aren't as good as yours. I ran 16 ounces for 1000 miles and dumped it. I will be adding another 16 ounces in a few weeks at the end of this OCI.

Have you noticed a change in the color of your oil? Mine was more of a brown varnish color, much different than normal.

Negative. Clean as it always is at around 1,600 miles on the oil.

This is with TWO Kreen doses (12 OZ + 15 OZ)

IMG_0068.jpg

Originally Posted By: Vikas
And if Krano Labs balks at refunding his money, we will be back to the square one :-( By the way, returning the unused portion is going to be tough as it is considered hazardous material. It will cost OP more than the original price of the material to send it back.

But in any case, OP should use up all the material and give it full oil change length and then start the refund process.

If the rest of the glowing reviews are taken at their face value, Krano Labs would probably be so shocked at getting a refund request that they would have no established procedure to handle this dissatisfaction toward their product :)

Rest assured that you will most definitely see after pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its not so much the miles but the time. 1000 miles in 2 days probably isn't going to do much of anything with any product.
The solvents that can remove the varnish flash off fairly quickly in a hot engine.

Try this..
Next time you take the cover off spray a small area with carb cleaner and see if it removes the varnish without rubbing it.
If it does Kreen will work, if not it probably will not because its in the pores of the metal.

I have had a few engines where it didn't remove the varnish and i had to do it manually, others it did.
The ones it didn't needed a very harsh chemical that i use to clean injectors and cannot be run in an engine for even a second.
I wont disclose the chemical because anyone reading this onlne may decide its safe to try. It isn't, its extremely dangerous and can burn or blind you.
Once clean it needed to be flushed out with kerosene then oil.

From the look of your engine its more trouble than its worth to do this as it doesn't have any running issues.

They will refund your money without sending them anything back.

I see no need for harsh chemicals here. I'm simply trying to find a cleaner that will clean this tiny mess. If no off the shelf cleaner (or Kreen) will get the job done, i'll simply bolt the valve cover back on with a fresh gasket / sealant in the proper area and call it a day. I have no doubt in my mind that this block will run for 500k. If not in this chassis, in another.

I would be concerned about the effect of constantly having "cleaners" mixed in with the oil. I'm sure they are safe to use a couple of times during the life of an engine but having it in the engine for multiple OCI's could lead to other problems.

We shall see... I plan to do a final UOA after all the cleanup attempt is said and done, just to see how the engine is holding up and then, plan to run the car until 300k regardless, at which point I'll sell it and get another Toyota to last me another 15 years.
35.gif

Good luck finding a new Toyota that will last as long as your present one...but that's a topic for a different discussion.
28.gif

I'd say your motor looks (darn) good for 228k miles. I'm not sure your test is fair as there is so little sludge in the engine now, and what is there is in places the oil only gets splashed upon. I bet there IS no cleaner that will do any better.

Last edited:
Hahaha! You got that right. The cars build today aren't the tanks they were in the past.

We'll see about the cleaner... I'm hoping it works and i prove you wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back