Kirkland 5W-20 vs 0W-20

Welcome to BITOG.

How to say I'm new here, without saying I'm new here... Say an argument is absurd, then continue the argument!

Attachments

• imaybestupid.jpg
    imaybestupid.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 17
Gokhan said:
I am not spending nearly as much time on BITOG anymore. Would you like to become an administrator for my HTFS sheet so that you can include more oils and update it?
Absolutely, would really appreciate that!
What would be really helpful is to separate each oil grade into it's own separate tabs so the comparison of oils within the same grade would be easier to see and to compare how they stack up.

Suggestion for Tabs: 0W-16, 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50.

If you need help with it let me know.

Here are couple examples I've done while back for 5W-30 and 5W-40

Another suggestion is to have pup-up note or a comment on hover of oil description stating specification and approvals.
I know it would be a lot of work but very helpful.

Last edited:
Yep ... a good debate always makes people who are interested in actually backing up their claims to go dig up the information, which helps everyone maybe learn something they didn't know, or was looking at it in an unclear way. Everyone benefits in the end IMO if the discussions stays mainly technical in nature.
I know I’m learning some so I appreciate it

One would be blended with a heavier version of the same base oil than the other is the simplest way of describing it.

Say for example, the 0W-20 was blended with 4cSt base oils while the 5W-20 was blended with 4 and 6cSt base oils. Both are using SK's Yubase for example, so they are using the same family of base oils, but the 0W-20, to hit the 0W-xx Winter rating, has a lighter blend.
This has been an excellent thread and I am grateful to all who have contributed. I'm not an oil expert, just fascinated by the chemistry.

OverkiIl, think I'm getting there. One more question.

So the question, starting with the same base, how would some become 4cSt and the some wind up as a 6cst? Can the manufacturing process be tailored to dictate molecule size (speaking strictly of synthetics)?

This has been an excellent thread and I am grateful to all who have contributed. I'm not an oil expert, just fascinated by the chemistry.

OverkiIl, think I'm getting there. One more question.

So the question, starting with the same base, how would some become 4cSt and the some wind up as a 6cst? Can the manufacturing process be tailored to dictate molecule size (speaking strictly of synthetics)?
When I say "same base" I mean same family of base oils, not the same viscosity. Yubase is available in a variety of different viscosities as are PAO's like XOM's SpectraSyn family for example.

Back