5W-30 Oils with HTHS =>3.5

jurko

Site Donor 2022
There were other 5W-30 oils I came across with HTHS =>3.5 but the necessary ASTM test data were missing which were needed for the calculated values.
Was going to also include Liqui Moly oils since there are some fans on here who use it. I saw at least couple 5W-30 oils with HTHS listed as >3.5 but not the actual tested value So it was a no-go.
Another time I'll do some other oil viscosities when I get all the necessary data and time.

The results are sorted by VII from lowest to highest.

5W-30 Oils.jpg

Thanks for the list.
Always wanted to try Motul for my saturns rings. Can't really afford ester.
Delo with a rebate and on sale at Amazon was $14.xx a gallon at times, back when it was CJ-4.
I don't think I'll see that price again.

Delo 400 XSP 5w-30 CK/SN-PLUS

Density at 15°C, kg/L________0.85
mm²/s at 40°C______________72.4
mm²/s at 100°C_____________12.1
Viscosity Index_____________165
Viscosity, HTHS, mPa.s_______3.5

Thanks for the list.
Delo with a rebate and on sale at Amazon was $14.xx a gallon at times, back when it was CJ-4.

Dello.jpg

Thanks for the list.

Valvoline makes an oil to clean engines up, ester based. I'm sure others will chime in, it's sold at dealers as it's made for 1 engine brand. Can't remember which though.

Valvoline makes an oil to clean engines up, ester based. I'm sure others will chime in, it's sold at dealers as it's made for 1 engine brand. Can't remember which though.
I am sure there are other good 5W-30 oils with HTHS <3.5 . If I selected those too the task would be too time consuming given that I want to move on to other viscosities.

There were other 5W-30 oils I came across with HTHS =>3.5 but the necessary ASTM test data were missing which were needed for the calculated values.
Was going to also include Liqui Moly oils since there are some fans on here who use it. I saw at least couple 5W-30 oils with HTHS listed as >3.5 but not the actual tested value So it was a no-go.
Another time I'll do some other oil viscosities when I get all the necessary data and time.

The results are sorted by VII from lowest to highest.

View attachment 45939
This table does contain ~2019 years contents. A lot of these are updated now, and have changed a lot, some for the worse.

This table does contain ~2019 years contents. A lot of these are updated now, and have changed a lot, some for the worse.
Could be if they are slow to update their PDS's. The data were taken yesterday from oil blenders web sites.

Could be if they are slow to update their PDS's. The data were taken yesterday from oil blenders web sites.
I have used Gokhans document myself, and updated some of them, and I see it is multiple specs in this table that is not the current version in PDS. With this excel tool the Ravenol HLS goes from the top of the table to mediocre with the PDS from dec. 2020. On those I have updated I have also saved the "old" PDS specs, and some in this table is like the old ones I have saved.

I have used Gokhans document myself, and updated some of them, and I see it is multiple specs in this table that is not the current version in PDS. With this excel tool the Ravenol HLS goes from the top of the table to mediocre with the PDS from dec. 2020. On those I have updated I have also saved the "old" PDS specs, and some in this table is like the old ones I have saved.
Great you join in and point out the discrepancies. Thanks.
The way I did that originally I was switching from page tab of data to tab with my sheet and trying to remember what to type in.
This time I downloaded all the relevant Ravenol PDS and had it side by side with my Google sheet.
And sure enough I made few mistakes.
Here's the new corrected file. Does this match with your PDF's?
Sorry to all of you for the confusion!

Ravenol.jpg

Last edited:
So this may be a dumb question, but NOACK? Can I assume the oils with lower VII also have lower NOACK?

Or no? Cause I thought Mobil1 ESP was one of the lowers and had ~7%

Where can I find information on Gokham's formulas? I've seen then referenced several times but don't know the details. I'd like to build some similar spreadsheets.

Back