5W-30 Oils with HTHS =>3.5

*There seems to be a BITOG web site technical glitch - now shows not available , try searching @Gokhan and you get a message : Ooops ! ... We ran into a problem .
Most likely banned for a period of time or had his account removed

Or he blocked his profile which is possible. You can still do a board wide search of his posts.

I believe you get a different response for that.
Even if his profile is deleted, should still be able to search for all posts made by him through the board's search function by username.

Just FYI ... HTHS viscosity is what gives "film thickness". The anti-friction/anti-wear additives is what gives the "film strength". The Machinery Lubrication website has a good article about it.

The first line of defense againt metal-to-metal contact wear is the HTHS viscosity (the film thickness, ie: MOFT). When that fails and metal-to-metal contact occurs, then the AF/AW additives come in to play to mitigate wear (the film strength).
Thanks - this is what I was trying to communicate (albeit poorly) .

My commuter Equinox's 2.4L DI (non-turbo) engine breaks down oils to the point where they begin to slip by its poor rings somewhere between 2500 and 3000 miles. Oil consumption begins at that point. I suspect our DI engines shear oils at a higher-rate -- more so than in previously owned engine designs.

In my case: besides addressing IVD accumulation, accomplishing a timely OCI is essential if I also wish to save downstream exhaust cat converters(s) from premature replacement.

Concerning both of us, I suspect the listed robust, lower VII, high HTHS oils could help address oil life longevity in our DI engines. It's a hope anyway. The question is this, "do their suspected longevity gains offset their increased cost?" IDK.
I agree ... Not to get off topic but the other two vehicles in my signature broken in the same way (with care) do really nice over their OCI's and don't ever burn a drop of oil . Alas , the Hyundai is paid for and in mint condition with low mileage and a lifetime warrantee (class action Theta II lawsuit) so when I have to go to the dealership they drool over the condition of my Sonata LTD. and beg me to sell it back to them in a trade . *What would I select with a better Hyundai engine ? ... No thanks , I'm good continuing to be a BITOG experiment to test oils in a worse case engine.

Great you join in and point out the discrepancies. Thanks.
The way I did that originally I was switching from page tab of data to tab with my sheet and trying to remember what to type in.
This time I downloaded all the relevant Ravenol PDS and had it side by side with my Google sheet.
And sure enough I made few mistakes.
Here's the new corrected file. Does this match with your PDF's?
Sorry to all of you for the confusion!

View attachment 45976
Look at the PP Euro L right below the M1 ESP oil : 5 quart jugs at WM for $26 ...* Would this make a good alternative to M1 ESP ?

There were other 5W-30 oils I came across with HTHS =>3.5 but the necessary ASTM test data were missing which were needed for the calculated values.
Was going to also include Liqui Moly oils since there are some fans on here who use it. I saw at least couple 5W-30 oils with HTHS listed as >3.5 but not the actual tested value So it was a no-go.
Another time I'll do some other oil viscosities when I get all the necessary data and time.

The results are sorted by VII from lowest to highest.

View attachment 45939
HPL Euro 5W-30?
1672923791421.jpeg

Here's the 2021 Technical Data Sheet for the SHELL Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 .

IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG

Last edited:
May give this a try for upcoming O.C. in the '18 ACCENT that has the 1.6 Ltr. w/ G.D.I.. Trying to find the H.T.H.S. for the T6 5w-30 .

Last edited:
Back